News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Concerning Necrons

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, June 21, 2014, 04:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

I have a game against them in a few weeks as part of a tourney. I have never faced Necrons ever, so what are something I need to look out for? Its still under 6th edition rules. From what I know about his list, it seems to be footslogging, and a couple of Barges. Some Destroyers and Wraiths.

Is there anything I need to target specifically or anything I need to just plain avoid?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Mass Gauss weaponry, particularly Flayers and Blasters WILL munch your vehicles no matter how high the armour.

The Ghost Ark can be paired with a unit above its Transport cap, and still confer a boost to the units Reanimation protocols (extra D3 models returning on a 2+)

Expect a lot of S5+ from pretty much every non-Troops unit.

If they take Wraiths don't expect cover to protect your from the charge.

That's just what I can say off the top of my head based on a game I had with them against them :P

Kur'os

I'd recommended the Firebase Support Cadre.  The tank hunter ability will help you get penetrating hits to drop their shields / destroy any Arks and / or Barges.

Depending of their HQ and Cryptek choices, they can drastically impact the game.  These should be high priority.

Their flyers are potent, but fragile.  It doesn't would like the Necron player uses them in excess though, so it's not too much of a concern.

-Kur'os

Scoutfox

My regular opponent fields Necrons, and we just had a game last weekend, also in 6th cause we can't afford 7th yet.

Annihilation barges shoot a lot and are armor 13 because of quantum shielding, same goes for arks. Fusion suits dropping in behind with target locks are good for taking them out if they bunch up. My Orks have a tough time getting through that armor.

Treat wraiths like assault marines. They are fast and Killy in hand to hand. They have a 3++ save so take them out with weight of fire not low ap guns. They will murder any Tau units if they reach combat. 

With footsloggers concentrate all your fire on one unit until it is gone. My dakkajet gunned down 10 warriors and them 7 stood back up. Which really sucked for the trukk boys about to charge in that got hosed with gauss fire in overwatch.

The Man They Call Jayne

My list contains:

Standard Buffmander

Firewarriors x 9
EMP x9
Firewarriors x 9
EMP x9

Crisis suit x 3
Plasma Rifle x 6

XV25 x 6

Fusion Blaster x 2

Riptide
Ion Accelerator
TL Fusion Blaster
Stims
Velocity Tracker
Neuroweb System Jammer

Hammerhead x 2
Railgun/Ion Cannon
Submunition
DPods
BSF
Auto Repair

XV88 x3
HYMP
SMS
EWO x3
Missile Drone x 6
(plus commander usually)

So far it is the broadsides that have been doing the nasty things. The sheer weight of TL and Ignores Cover shots have been downing just about everything. 24 Missile Pod Shots with Tank Hunter and Ignore Cover and TL should be able to bring down An AV 13 Barge just through Glances in a single turn.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

Remember that Quantum Shielding doesn't affect Rear Armour, meaning that suits can still Glance it on 6s in combat if things get desperate.

Always, always, always concentrate fire to wipe a squad at a time. If none are alive, then they can't reanimate. If but one is alive and they have a Resi Orb, half of your hard work will stand back up and start shooting you again.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.