News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

New Boxed Set: Orks vs. SPACE WOLVES??

Started by BigToof, July 06, 2014, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
No this isn't a feverish dream.

As seen on Bell of Lost Souls w/ White Dwarf pic, the new boxed set is:

Stormclaw

Orks vs SPACE WOLVES

The front model looks especially crazy.

I...  I wasn't expecting this.

Thoughts?  Expectations?  Hype?

For me, this might be the first box where I have to keep BOTH halves :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

If this is true, the models are going to be filled with character. More so the Space Wolves, but there will be fewer of them.

Interesting to note that since the Battle for Macragge set (right name?) each set has always had one side that has more models. I guess GW like to emphasize that Space Marines can take on a lot of models :P

Will be interesting to compare the Ork models to the Black Reach models.

Sorck

Well Dark Vengeance has been removed from the GW website so it does look like it's a replacement.

Quote from: Narric on July 06, 2014, 06:10:32 PM
Interesting to note that since the Battle for Macragge set (right name?) each set has always had one side that has more models. I guess GW like to emphasize that Space Marines can take on a lot of models :P
Well if they include SM in a set then they will almost always be lower on numbers as few (if any) other armies rival the eliteness of the SM.

I'm rather disapointing though that it's another SM vs Ork set. They could at least create a new pairing. I understand that it's good to include an Imperial army but it could be IG rather than SM...

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on July 06, 2014, 09:37:53 PM
I'm rather disapointing though that it's another SM vs Ork set. They could at least create a new pairing. I understand that it's good to include an Imperial army but it could be IG rather than SM...
For an IG vs set the IG woud have to be the "Horde" side, and the enemy the "Elite" side, as the recent sets have exeplified. In an IG vs set, who could fulfil a suitable "Elite" oppoent? Necrons? Wraithwall Eldar?*

*(yeah, like hell they'd have Wraithguard in the starter box set :P)

BigToof

I'd personally love it to be Sisters of Battle versus Necrons for some Sanctuary 101 type stuff, but we can all dream...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Irisado

There are some rumours floating around that it's a specific boxed set not designed to replace Dark Vengeance.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, but I accept that it could also be a replacement.  Time will tell.

I'm also disappointed that we have yet another boxed set of Space Marines versus Orks, but it makes sense with the Ork codex release, and the fact that Space Marines remain GW's most popular army by a significant margin.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sorck

Quote from: BigToof on July 07, 2014, 04:26:43 AM
I'd personally love it to be Sisters of Battle versus Necrons for some Sanctuary 101 type stuff, but we can all dream...

Best,
-BT
SoB would be rather nice to see. It could really kickstart the army into some popularity.

Quote from: Narric on July 06, 2014, 09:49:30 PM
Quote from: Sorck on July 06, 2014, 09:37:53 PM
For an IG vs set the IG woud have to be the "Horde" side, and the enemy the "Elite" side, as the recent sets have exeplified. In an IG vs set, who could fulfil a suitable "Elite" oppoent? Necrons? Wraithwall Eldar?*

*(yeah, like hell they'd have Wraithguard in the starter box set :P)
Either of them, or an elite CSM army.

Quote from: Irisado on July 07, 2014, 03:46:12 PM
There are some rumours floating around that it's a specific boxed set not designed to replace Dark Vengeance.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, but I accept that it could also be a replacement.  Time will tell.

I'm also disappointed that we have yet another boxed set of Space Marines versus Orks, but it makes sense with the Ork codex release, and the fact that Space Marines remain GW's most popular army by a significant margin.
I think it would be good to see them having a couple of different starter sets being available. That way you wouldn't just see a couple of armies being really common for a few years.

Narric

SoB would require GW to actually put a fair amount of effort in. They'd have to redo the Codex to not suck, and then you'd also have them proving that they could have made plastic Sisters all this time. I would love to see it happen, don't get me wrong, however I fair they have dug the Sisters a very deep grave from reach to climb out of.

Seeings Necrons or Tau as part of a "Rivals" set* as they used to be paired up in the same Collectors guide iirc. Truth be told, Rivalry sets could be a good way of GW to put out Character models with suitable bodyguard units, without having to worry about revamping codexi or the entire faction range. With the exception of the Sisters as above.

*lets coin that term for any future non-starter dual army sets ;)

Sorck

Quote from: Narric on July 07, 2014, 07:17:45 PM
SoB would require GW to actually put a fair amount of effort in. They'd have to redo the Codex to not suck, and then you'd also have them proving that they could have made plastic Sisters all this time. I would love to see it happen, don't get me wrong, however I fair they have dug the Sisters a very deep grave from reach to climb out of.

Seeings Necrons or Tau as part of a "Rivals" set* as they used to be paired up in the same Collectors guide iirc. Truth be told, Rivalry sets could be a good way of GW to put out Character models with suitable bodyguard units, without having to worry about revamping codexi or the entire faction range. With the exception of the Sisters as above.

*lets coin that term for any future non-starter dual army sets ;)
We know they could do plastic SoB. It would be easy to do. They're no more difficult than Dark Angels veterans when it comes to shape so they could definitely be done.

They could still have them as starter sets. Though a more interesting thing would be a £60 or so set that was snap fit but also contained an expansion - an 'expansion starter set' if you will.

Narric

That doesn't change the fact that their current codex incarnation isn't exaclty a powerhouse. I'm sure actual Sisters player would have a better idea, but I hardly ever hear about people using the Sisters. not even for casual games, unless the person just felt like "something different."

Expansion sets kinda make me think of a Campaign starter set :P You get models who represent key figures of their respective factions, mostly new names to give the campaign something interesting. but thats for another thread I'm sure.

Irisado

Quote from: Sorck on July 07, 2014, 06:49:46 PM
I think it would be good to see them having a couple of different starter sets being available. That way you wouldn't just see a couple of armies being really common for a few years.

You do still get quite a bit of diversity to be honest, it's just the fact that so many people play various different Marine armies that can make it seem as though other armies are not that common.  In recent years, I've actually played against a much wider range of lists, although has now come to a stop since I've given up the game, but there is a lot more diversity than you might expect, in spite of the starter sets.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

The Man They Call Jayne

Are they releasing a Mini rule book to go with it?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

More pics!
75 pounds (100 euros, 125 US, 190 AU)
Has "The Rules" as well as supplement book.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Narric

Seems to be a Campaign box set. Interested to see close ups of the models, as thats all I care about :P

salamut2202

Looking at leaked pics, I think all but the HQs already exist.