News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Cross-Platform Image Hosting (How To)

Started by Narric, October 25, 2018, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Cross-Platform Image Hosting

This thread presents a method to host images for use with Project Logs, Battle Reports, Armies on Parade, Showcase Threads, and similar image focused topics that you as a user may wish to post on the forum.

Warning
This method does require changing viewing permissions on your Facebook. Do be careful to revert your viewing permissions to normal when you no longer wish to post images. We at Second Sphere do not want out members feeling ignored by their friends.

What you will need

• A Facebook profile
  • Images

Method

• On your facebook profile, press the "Picture/Video" button underneath where you would write your status.
  • Highlight/select the images from your folder that you would like to post.
  • Once all images are loaded, but before you hit post, go to this drop down menu, which will be set to your preferred viewing permissions.
  • Select the "Only Me" option from the drop down menu. You may need to press "more" first, to show the option.
  • Once your images are posted, you will need to find them again on your profile. They can be found in your profiles' photo page, under the "Your photos" tab.
  • The next step is the most tedious, but the easiest to repeat. You need to open each image on facebook, right click it, and select the "Copy Image Address" option from the right-click menu. This is a URL specific to that upload of the image. Paste the URL into the img tags.
[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44830488_966302813575058_9150332621882916864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=408d28af1ce87099841588e43832fc95&oe=5C53259A[/img]

• (No specific screenshot for this step due to the right-click menu not staying for me)
Once the steps have been followed, you should have all your images viewable on the forum, but not cluttering your facebook feed. It may make your photos tab/gallery very full however.

Thank you for viewing, and hopefully using this method for Cross-platform image hosting. If you have any comments or suggestions on how to improve this method, or to highlight any errors such as spelling, do leave a reply to this thread.
This post looks a complete mess on the coding side, do not quote this post.

Restayvien

Great solution, thanks for posting this up! Just to add, that it might be neater in the long run to create an album on Facebook for all of your 2S photos to go into. That way you won't have to scroll back through your timeline photos album should you want to find them again. I'll use the above method for my project log/s soon!

Sorck

Unfortunately the Facebook CDN links often expire after a few months so it's not a great long term solution. Good work regardless.

We are looking into an automated system for hosting the images on our side, hopefullly with drag and drop into your post.

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on October 26, 2018, 03:39:34 PM
We are looking into an automated system for hosting the images on our side, hopefullly with drag and drop into your post.
like how Blogs keep an image gallery you can choose from?

Restayvien

It doesn't appear that you can get the link by right-clicking in Edge, so you'll probably need to use a different browser.

Edit - not much luck in IE either as the copy link option under the right-click menu is disabled. I can see the link but inspecting the element but can't seem to copy it.

Narric

Quote from: Restayvien on October 26, 2018, 05:03:31 PM
It doesn't appear that you can get the link by right-clicking in Edge, so you'll probably need to use a different browser.

Edit - not much luck in IE either as the copy link option under the right-click menu is disabled. I can see the link but inspecting the element but can't seem to copy it.
hmm, thanks for the info. Sadly I was assuming browser use, and with Google Chrome.

If the text is highlight-able when you're element inspecting, you should be able to copy it that way, but that is longer winded than intended.

Hopefully we'll eventually have a built into forum method but for now any work around should be fine.

BigToof

Thanks for your hard work on this all!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Restayvien

Just thinking...this might work if we post images to the 2S group? That way we build up a gallery there too.

Narric

Sorck

I have a solution in the works.

I'll probably finish specifying how it works today and will then start working on developing it.

The first version of the addon will take your existing cross-site image hosting attempts and store a cache of them on our servers.

The second version will allow you to upload images straight into your posts/as a gallery at the end of your posts.

Narric

Not too sure when it occured, but the images I had used this method disappeared. Likely a timeout of the link.

Is there any update on on-site image hosting?