News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Isle of Carandia (RPG)

Started by Narric, November 24, 2018, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

*Strum* *Strum* *Strum*
"Boss, you sure we're doin' right doin' this?" Lorey asked as he idly played a lute to some ad lib'd tune. "Bit odd we're paid gold to get them non-gold gold...."
"Heh, ye, you'd think they'd jus melt their own coin" Maro quipped.
"Shut up you two. We're being paid and thats all that matters...." Gildons' hammer swung his warhammer, stopping it deftly before it touched Kary's bald head, who carried on eating his chunk of bread.
"Yea, just about some fiddy gold more and Bee and I can set up our smithy" Added Terry A as Terry B stirred a pot of some form of edible substance over a campfire.
"Pfft, and what?" Eric jabbed at Terry A with the top of his mace, "Flood the land in low quality daggers? You two couldn't smith an iron bar, haha!"
"Boss said shut it" Mike growled over his shoulder, "And we got prey comin' up."

Gildon hefted his warhammer onto a shoulder, surveying the road to the travelers coming within a stones throw of the junction his merry band had been told to wait at for pickings.

"Looks like a couple midgets and their parents. Probably going to have hardly anything on them..." Mike turns away from the travelers to acknowledge what Gildon had said.

"At least let us have some sport first?" Gildon dives into the ditch barely a moment after Mike finishes speaking, along with Kary, Graham and John to their own close ditches. Heads down, a wave of blistering fire washes over their basic leather'd backs, singeing hair away where it was exposed. As the wave passes, Gildon quickly pers his head up with one hand on his warhammer, looking back at the bodies of his merry band burned where they had previously stood or sat, Lorey's Lute's string snapping from the heat one by one as the wood smoldered upon its owner's crispy corpse. The smell of smoking fat coming from Mike hung in the light wind the explosion of fire had whipped up. Kary, Graham and John similarly starting to pick themselves up with their bodies half covered in mud and blackened by fire.

Gildon got to his feat, taking his Warhammer in two hands, his eyes focused on the midget closest to him, that seemingly had just dashed away lives with zero thought. For a moment he reflected on how he had killed, but always after giving his prey a choice. With a guttural roar, he charges towards the travelers, and out of the corner of his eye, he sees the remains of his band do the same. Words echoed among the trees, but the choice was giving too late to care for words to be spoken now.

[Status]
Gildon (Bandit Leader) HP: 8 Enraged
Lorey DEAD
Kary HP: 2
Maro DEAD
Graham HP: 2
John HP: 2
Terry A DEAD
Terry B DEAD
Eric DEAD
Mike DEAD

[Dice Rolls]
Burning Hands Damage 11
Saves: Lorey Failed, Kary Passed, Maro Failed, Graham Passed, John Passed, Terry A Failed, Eric Failed, Terry B Failed, Mike Failed

Narric

"You could have given us some warning!" Obsidian shouted as she charged forward, axe and shield ready. She had been near the back of the group when Nyc had let loose their magic, so wasn't getting too close to the bandits. Hlaine readies his longbow, aiming for the mace wielding bandit behind the leader. He lets loose, but the arrow disappears into the roadside foliage. Aela stayed to the back, emboldened by the Dwarf and Halfling, she aims between Nyx and Ben at the one that looked to be the bandit leader. With a sigh and the twang of elven bowstring, the arrow took flight, spanning the distance between herself and the target. Gildon didn't seem to notice as the ballistic flew past him without even touching him. Nyx tucked a hand into their cloak and with a flourish fired a beam of energy at the crazed bandit. It struck, and for a brief moment it looked to be enough to drop the leader to the ground, but a small flash of light and a dash of footwork and the warhammer wielding man was still coming. The two bandits from the side of the road had managed to close the gap from their side with Obsidian, despite how burned they seemed to be. Kary had come up from behind Gildon making a b-line towards Hlaine. Ben took a more defensive stance, making sure they were between the bandits and the eldritch power gnome. He barely had time to be fully ready when Gildon was upon him. Gildon swung wide at Ben, who fumbled with his feet to sidestep the attack.
"Graaah!" Ben hollered in pain. The leading face of the hammer struck him in the side, the force and his own bad footing sending him to the ground.

Obisidian and Haline were too far forward, the Dwarf continuing to charge into the weakened pair of bandits. She went to cleave closest to her, but managed to miss the bandit near twice her size. Hlaine sets up for another shot, striking the bandit, and sending them to the ground. Aela felt frozen in place, watching as Ben was sent to the ground. Nyx continued a retreating advance, and flourished her wand for another blast. Despite the close range, the bandit was missed, and loomed menacingly over her. John relatiated against the dwarf, his Mace easily glancing off the armour causing to more than a scuff. Graham had better luck, coming in low and past her shield, his mace connecting painfully with her hip. Kary swung at Hlaine, but only managed a glancing hit that didn't phase the halfling. Ben gasped for breath, cluthing his chest, trying to push himself to get back up from his prone position. The pain prevented him from getting up, but he maintained consciousness. Gildon advanced more onto the gnome, madness and sheer exertion turning his pupils to tiny dots in his eyes. He brings his warhammer up above his head, and swings it down with force, aiming for the gnomes' cranium. At the last minute, she steps back, the Warhammer slamming into the dirt road, kicking up stone and filth.

Obsidian laughs at the pain in her hip, adjusting her positon now she needn't run to get into a fight. Shield ready for Graham's counter-attack, she lunges her axe at John, catching him barely on his cheek, but blade cutting deep enough to send him to the ground. Aela steadies herself, trying again to fell the warhammer bandit. But her nerves cause the shot again to go wide. Nyx plants her feet, looking the leader right in the eye, flourishing her wand and unleashing a torrent of power. The bandit didn't even try to dodge, and what is left of his body is flung back towards the bandit camp area, warhammer spinning wildly into the air. With a sickening squelch of thud, the warhammer connect with the bandit now formerly known as Graham.

Aela falls to her knees, shaking from adrenaline, and gasping for breathe. Hlaine dashes forward to Ben's side, as Obsidian revels and laughs at the two bandits at her feet. Nyx slumps back, landing on their rump staring into the space the bandit leader previous existed in.

[Status]
Party

Nyx Uninjured
Ben 1HP, Prone
Aela Uninjured, Psychologically Shaken
Obsidian 7HP, bludgeoned hip.
Hlaine Uninjured

Bandits
Dead

[Dice Rolls]
Ben Initiative, Obsidian Initiative, Hlaine Initiative, Bandit Initiative
R1 Gildon Attack vs Ben, Gildon Damage, Ben Dodge Attempt
R2 Obsidian Attack vs John, Hlaine Attack vs Kary, John and Graham vs Obsidian, Graham Damage, Gildon Attack vs Nyx, Gildon Damage, Nyx Dodge
R3 Obsidian Attack vs John, Obsidian Damage, Hlaine Attack vs Kary, Hlaine Damage

Cammerz

This was unusual for Nyx, she'd never repelled anyone back before. She'd never done anything like this before but something inside her told her that this was a good thing. She was becoming more powerful, and something was happy with the outcome.

She took a couple of moments to contemplate this before exhaling, standing back up, returning her wand to a pocket and briefly wiping herself down.

Taking in the rest of her party, she wandered over towards Ben and Hlaine and directed a question at the latter,
"Is he going to be alright?"

<Note: I'm picking up the Repelling Blast Invocation so I can now throw people around all the time>

Mabbz

"I'll be okay," Ben groaned. "Don't think anything's broken, but I'll lay here a bit for the moment." He cursed a little under his breath before speaking up again. "I'm voting against any future plans you come up with, by the way..."

Cammerz

Nyx seemed a little taken aback by that remark, "I though it went quite well, we took most of them out before they could get the upper hand."

She paused,

"You don't think we could have talked our way around it do you? They were bullies, I know the type. If we tried to talk they'd just take what they want from us or fight us anyway. I didn't give them the choice".

Mabbz

Ben shifted position, trying to see if it would help alleviate the pain at all (it didn't). "Maybe talking would have worked, maybe not. I would have preferred to try, although I admit that if talking didn't work that would have been a harder fight than it was." He winced as he sat up. "Since it's midday, it's probably as good a time as any for a short rest? I don't feel up to travelling just yet."

Narric

As a group, you decide to take a short rest. Obsidian and Ben nursed their injuries as Hlaine took a watchman position on the crossroads. Aela and Nyx kept close, but were keeping to themselves. The various remains of bandits still littered the local area, though thankfully a breeze had been rolling through to keep the odor of death away from the quintet.

"Ya know, I figured you'd be a lot squishier considering you're a simple Cleric," Obsidian verbals and physically jabbed the wounded Acolyte. "Perhaps I could teach you how to take a hit without landing on your arse? Ha Ha!" She slapped herself on the knee and took a swig from her waterskin. Ben weezingly laughed along.

"Heh, well I might get knocked down, but I'll get up again. With the gods with me, they'll never keep me down, Ha!" The risk of cracked ribs did nothing to hamper his optimistic personality. "Though I'd prefer not practicing taking a punch just yet, if you don't mind."

A shadow skimmed across the makeshift camp that bandits had left behind, causing Hlaine and Aela to turn to the sky. the former prepped an arrow, will the latter readied her bow. The sudden change of mood in the air was caught by the Dwarf and Human, who stood with varying degrees of pain. Only Nyx continued to be deep in though as she stared at the junction at the bodies strewn about.

Hlaine and Aela squinted into the sky, the dark shape swooping low and starting to come in for a landing in the opposite direction they had come from. The figure came to a stop, the majority of its silhouette shrinking behind it into a sort of cap of feathers, revealing two clawed hand raised high to show them to not be a threat. Eyes adjusted to the strange darkness of the figure that was its feathers, highlighted with green at the tips. The head was corvidae in shape, with eyes red in hue. they seemed to be wearing tribal clothing, a quiver on one hip, and a collection of bags and a satchel on the other.

"Easy there, not here to start a fight" The strange birdman proclaimed, hoping not to cause alarm. "In fact That fireball you started really caught my eye, and I was about to drop in and lend a claw, but you obviously could handle yourselves."

"Flattery works on politicians, so what business do you have flapping down to us AFTER the fight is over?" Obsidian strode fourth to the Aarakocra, not threateningly, nor friendly.

"I am Raven, and I am here to discover what machinations are occurring in this land." Raven declared with conviction, straightening his back and standing tall before the Dwarf. "Before I left my Elemental home plane, it was known something strange was occurring in the Material Plane. I took the initiative to come ahead of others."

"Woah, and what makes you think we need your help?" Obsidian growled. "If we needed it, we'd have hired some flunkies from the last town we were in." She thumbs over her shoulder. "And you don't look like much in a fight anyway."

"Obsidian, if a being wants to aide us, why should we turn them away?" Ben interrupted the exchange, prompting Obsidian to turn around.

"Aside from it likely meaning a smaller share between us, and with us not knowing how well he can handle a fight, he'd easily be a liability." Raven's feathers ruffled a little.

"I can assure you, I can handle myself in a fight, but I do not wish to fight you to prove it." He was holding his composure as best as possible despite the very aggressive Dwarf. "I'm sure I would be an asset to the group, long before I become a liability."

"I say we let him join us. Not like I joined you all to become rich." Nyx flopped onto her back on what seemed to be the most comfortable stone to sit and lie upon. "At worst, we kick him into a ditch before we return to Brindle?"

"He also has a bow, and coupled with his ability to fly means he'd be able to target foe we may not be able to see." Hlaine added his two copper to the exchange.

"Oh come off it, are you really all siding with this new being over me?" Obsidian seemed a little upset by this, but quickly it turned to frustration. "What about you Elf-girl?" Obsidian was noticeably aggravated.

"I'm not really sure, but if the others are OK with it, it couldn't be a bad thing, right?" Aela shifted a little with the angered focus upon her. Obsidian didn't take this response well.

"Fine then, perhaps this isn't the group of adventurers I should be working with...." It seemed all too quick. The dwarf gathered her possessions and set off down the road towards West Gemos, even though they had walked from East Gemos. Before long she had disappeared around a bend, leaving the group to continue on without her.

Cammerz

Nyx watched Obsidian storm off with a quizzical look on her face.

"What an odd reaction," she muttered to herself before stretching and getting to her feet. "Hi there, I'm Nyx and these are: Ben, Hlaine and Aela" she gestured to her fellow adventurers as she introduced each one. "We're off on an adventure to investigate the lack of beer in West Gemos, we're currently heading to the brewery to see what might be up".

ULQ

Raven watched the dwarf vanish with his head, tilted in amusement and in disbelief before focusing his gaze on Nyx and the rest of the party.

"i am sorry my choice to appear to you all has resulted in a loss of one of your fellow travelers" he said calmly, as he jolted his head up in a quick motion before returning it to focus on Nyx
"i mean hello". he paused in though then continued "beer shortage?, what do you fellows receive from such a task?" he asked as his gaze turned to his surroundings, looking for a stable branch or comfy spot.

Suddenly he stops and turns to the group with a concerned tilt to his head, "I perhaps could inquire if anyone you have any spare arrows? or could instruct me on making make some make shift ones for now?"
his head slowly changing from concern to interest as he speaks.
Steal, Silently, Like a ninja in the night, Swift like a breeze, Hidden like the TV remote no one can find.

Cammerz

"Well we get paid of course, the very nice barkeep will pay each of us for finding out why his supply has been reduced and if we fix it then there will be more beer so the prices can go back to normal", Nyx explained to the big talking bird.

For the first time since they'd been given their quest Nyx was thinking about the 20 gold she'd been promised. Nyx had never even seen that much gold all in one place and the thought of enough gold to pay all of them brought a gleam to her eyes and a genuine smile to her face.

"I'm sure he won't mind you joining us, one leaves and another joins so it'll cost him all the same. We were just having a short rest here before carrying on towards the brewery."

Nyx's gaze suddenly fell back towards the bandit camp, now abandoned. Growing up on the streets of East Gemos she knew that scavenging, while not exactly honourable, was a guaranteed way to keep you fed for at least one more day. It's not like they'd be missing it and if Nyx didn't pick it up then the next travellers surely would.

Her mind made up she turned back towards the smouldering camp to forage, addressing the others over her shoulder.
"We probably shouldn't leave all of this stuff just lying around, there might be something useful".

ULQ

Raven rummages through one of his pouches and looks in, counting at all the shiny gold he collected since arriving in this plane.
"i prefer supplies and items to gold, but the gold does allows you to pick things" Raven replied to Nyx watching her, as if trying to peer into her mind.

as Nyx turned toward the camp to forage and hearing the advice, Raven calls to Nyx
"Nyx you don't mind if i look for food?, for us all, least i can do is make sure we are full, after defending a stranger like me do you?"

Waiting for no reply Raven spreads out his wings and starts to check for food for the group. (D20 Nature check = https://dadi.lapo.it/1571787462 = 19)
Steal, Silently, Like a ninja in the night, Swift like a breeze, Hidden like the TV remote no one can find.

Mabbz

Ben decided to stay where he was. He didn't much feel like rummaging through bodies at this point, and instead he lay as still as possible to recover from his injuries.

Ben's HP recovery: 5

Narric

Aela and Hlaine kept a vigil on the roads as Ben recovered. Beyond the group, it was like the rest of the island had gone silent, as not a soul passed by them.

From his birds eye view, Raven managed to find a variety of nests and berry bushes. Only one nest had a single egg in, and the berry bushes weren't quite ripe enough beyond the four early picks he could find.

Nyx had to hold her nose as she searched the charred remains of the bandits and the pulverised and spread bandit leader. They weren't carrying much gold each, and otherwise just had their maces and a dagger as their weapons. Nyx tried to search the bandit leader for what may have caused a flash of light when her magic struck him. Nothing save the Warhammer that fell the last bandit. She had about as much luck searching the singed but dead bandits. The camp was largely barren, save for the fire pit which by this point had an increadibly overcooked and crunchy stew in a travel pot.

After all this is was roughly mid afternoon.

[Status]
Party

Nyx has found 9x Maces, 1x Warhammer, 92g
Ben Recovered to 6HP
Obsidian [Has left the Party]
Raven [Has Joined the Party]

[Dice Rolls]
Raven Eggs Found: 1, Raven Berris Found: 4, Nyx body Search Leader, Nyx Total gold Found: 92g

Cammerz

Nyx's eyes widened, these bandits were carrying gold, actual gold! And with each one she searched she found more and more, dozens of gold pieces! Nyx came away with a positive mountain of gold. This was almost as much as they would have been paid for the job, they were rich!

She dumped the treasure in a pile on the road for the others to inspect, a huge grin on her face.

"Guys, look. Just look!"

ULQ

As raven returns with the little he found while foraging, landing in the same spot he used before, folding his wings behind him to form a feathery cloak behind him.

"I didn't find much, In this area, Hope i have better luck in the coming days" as he spoke he looked at the group again, giving a friendly nod of his bird like head to each as a way to say hi.

Hearing Nyx call for the group to look at something he walks over to her without looking "Whats up Nyx?"