News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Wraithlord - Worth it?

Started by El ShasOcho, July 01, 2012, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El ShasOcho

Planning on making an Eldar allies detachment for my Tau, and the wraithlord seems like a pretty awesome options in terms of providing some offensive help. Is this accurate, or are they overcosted? In case you are wondering, I am planing on having either a farseer or Eldrad for my support HQ, and either a 5 man squad of avengers or rangers for my troops.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Will's on Fire

At when facing them, I've found Wraithlords to be pretty hit and miss.

The lack of Inv save hurts them, even though rokkits wound on a 4+ against them. I've had games where I've killed them turn 1 and others where they managed to walk through my army...

Wraithlords tend to be over looked in favour of Fire Prisms or War Walkers when used solely by Eldar, as they both have a far better damage output, however with a Tau army, they look better as you already have solid support in the way of railguns, crisis suits and the now improved Fire Warriors. I'd certainly consider it, a wraithlord can certainly draw fire, although to keep it moving you want to really be avoiding the need for wraithsight checks, and that involves having a friendly Psyker move up with it. My worry with doing that is your wraithlord won't always be going the way your farseer wants to be.

As I've written this reply I've kinda talked myself out of thinking the Tau will actually benefit from having it. Does it do anything the Tau army can't already fill? I guess you could try and use it in some sort of dreadnought roll to tie up lightning claw termies, and anything else not rocking a powerfist/thunder hammer, but with the Tau are you better off using crisis suits to gun that stuff down?

Farseers will be amazing with Tau, guiding fire Warriors will just be unfriendly. :P Or whatever these new psychic powers will be able to do.

- Will

El ShasOcho

Thanks for the advice will.

I was thinking of using it as a CC tank, although the lack of an invuln means he will likely be shredded by termies even if they wound on 4+. Any other good CC options for Eldar to help out the Tau a bit?

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

erick99

Banshees, Scorpions would do well.

Scorpions are a great choice, thanks to their bonus attack, S4, and 3+ save.

Banshees are good as well, though with power weapons now being AP3, they are no longer the Anti-TEQ they were. Fleet, however, now lets them re-roll their assault distance, helping them get into combat more often.

I played a game yesterday using the new rules. My scorpions got chewed up by a Hellhound (I failed all of my saves), but once they got into combat they did well. My Banshees did well, though most got killed before they could get into combat.

Warp Spiders are a possibility, with their movement and re-roll when charging. But they are a poor choice, unless you need to hold a unit up for a turn. If so, giving them Hit and Run will let you disengage on your opponents turn. Powerblades would also be a must.