News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Fire Warriors in 6th are now powerhouses

Started by Altec Lanning, July 06, 2012, 10:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 10, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
Krootox still up a valuble Heavy Support slot that we need to use for our biggest weapons.
I'm not talking about any Forge World models/units, I'm talking about the regular Krootox that can be taken with a Kroot Carnivore squad. You know, THE TROOPS UNIT! And no-where in the codex does it state that taking a Krootox in your KCs takes up a HS slot.

So we effectly get a smidgen of Anti-tank in our Troops, without the need to rely on a secondary unit, the way Fire Warriors would rely on a Seeker Missile carrying vehicle.

The Man They Call Jayne

I need to re read my codex. Im sure i remember something kroot being a HS choice. I havnt looked at it in over a year. lol
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I have the codex opened in front of me.

No mention of Krootox taking a HS slot.

I believe you're referring to the previous Tau Codex, because if memory serves, Krootox did take a HS slot in that edition. Or one of the various Fan-dexs that Second Sphere has played host to :D

The Man They Call Jayne

Stupid various things that impede my memory *mumblegrumble*
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Narric is corect. I have 6 Krotox that's been gathering dust. I can't wait till form a 175 point unit of 3 for six strength 7 shoots. Thinking about it more it really helps to lay down more shooting for your army.

Wargamer

The fact that a Krootox can no-longer be instagibbed by Str 6 will surely see them used more often.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Cammerz

Quote from: Wargamer on July 11, 2012, 01:27:52 PM
The fact that a Krootox can no-longer be instagibbed by Str 6 will surely see them used more often.

Unfortunately, they can, its only in the 3rd edition codex that they were T3(5), in the current 4th edition codex they're just T3. Makes no sense to me but hopefully they'll fix it in the next book.

InsaneTD

The original bit of fluff to explain the two toughness values is that the rider (3) took the actual hits and the kroot ox (5) wondered off. They simplifed it in the last codex and removed the bit on that so it was just tpughness 3, representing the same idea. I doubt we'll see a return of the T5 Krootox.

Cammerz

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 11, 2012, 03:53:35 PM
The original bit of fluff to explain the two toughness values is that the rider (3) took the actual hits and the kroot ox (5) wondered off. They simplifed it in the last codex and removed the bit on that so it was just tpughness 3, representing the same idea. I doubt we'll see a return of the T5 Krootox.

Still doesn't make sense, a rider on a krootox must have a similar relationship to a marine on a bike (the bike doesn't keep fighting when the rider's dead either). I'd make it at least T4, maybe even T5 (although both would include some form of price increase, maybe back up to 50 like in 3rd).

Narric

I managed to play a game with tau under the new rules, oddly enough, against another tau player :P

Damn good game, with a few oddities.

Kroot in Forests, especially Steel/Iron bark Forests, are neigh unmovable bvy enemy range. I had 3 units of 10 Fire warriores, Two Broadsides, and two Sniper Drone teams try to get ride of my Kroot unit of 10, and the Kroot weathered the entire storm without losing a single guy. Opponent had to get four ML hits on the squad, to negate the cover save, before they started causing Kroot casualties. And all the wqhile they just sat there taking pot shots at nearby Fire Warrior teams behinds an Aegis defence line.

Kroot Guns of the Krootox I think would be good at picking off light-armoured vehicles, but agaist anything with a dcent Invul save, or cover save, you'd better find a better target.

Played against Farisght under the new rules. He really needs a 2+ save somewhere, as I took him down with massed Pulse fire.

Watched in delight as my opponent fluffed firing two Seeker Missile from there Sky Ray. They didn't use it again the whole game, save pot-shot MLs.

If memory serves, Burst Cannon/Missile Pod battlesuits were considered a newby choice, but they are effective against light-infantry.

I think for a the points, a Sniper Drone team is definately useful, if only to pool ML hits into a unit.

Now to get back to topic, Fire Warriors.
They're ok, but I'd highly recomend taking multiples, along with an Aegis defence line. Overwatch is also a brilliant boon, especially against a single opponent (Farsight charged solo into my unit of 6 FWs). Snapfire is great, if you're been forced to go-to-ground. if you have a large enough unit, then BS1 isn't going to hurt your chances, especially if the enemy is within Rapid fire range.
I'll mention Pathfinders here as they're similar. Though the carbine isn't useful on our troop,s it still allows the PFs some offensive capability. which is good if you've lost a good portion of your force in the game. Those extra couple of S5 AP5 shots can make a difference.

Thats my two cents from my game today.

Carrelio

Quote from: Cammerz on July 11, 2012, 02:22:34 PM
Quote from: Wargamer on July 11, 2012, 01:27:52 PM

Unfortunately, they can, its only in the 3rd edition codex that they were T3(5), in the current 4th edition codex they're just T3. Makes no sense to me but hopefully they'll fix it in the next book.

Well, with the right positioning it should be pretty hard to land a wound on those T3 krootox thanks to the gigantic kroot blob living around them.  While I wouldn't have dreamt of taking them in 5th since infiltrate was just such a big deal, now with the new rapid fire and vehicle damage rules, I have no issue trading infiltrate for an extra 3-6 S7 shots.  Still not sure if I want to take kroot though...