News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1850 Points Tau Vs Dark Angels

Started by Carrelio, January 06, 2013, 01:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrelio

Today I lost a game and I know exactly what went wrong... so I will write about it in the hopes of learning from it and hearing what other people think!

The game was 1850 points, Mechanized Tau Vs Deathwing Dark Angels
The list is a trimmed down version of the one I am working on here.  Here it is:

HQ:
Helios Pattern Shas

Arguleon-veq

Nice report and it looks like a nice tense game.

So what are your 4 units in the pic and what are they all equipped with? Was there no way to spread out a little so that he couldnt multi charge and then put all your fire into one termie squad to gun it down, you then lose 1 unit to the charge and then proceed to shoot that unit down with the other units. If Firewarriors were in amongst that you could even have screened your other units with them and thus even got a stand and shoot in too on the unit you wouldnt have focussed on and if you didnt lose a whole unit you even get to run away and get some shots off as you do on the remaining termie unit as they cant run you down being terminators.

I agree that a deathwing list like that isnt a big threat to your Tau list. You can easily deal with the armour he has and then your army has enough mobility and firepower to just whittle away at the termies without them ever seeing an serious combat. As you say, getting trapped by that deathwing assault really caught you out and in a kill point game thats not really too salvagable as he doesnt really have that many kill points for you to get from him.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Carrelio

It's a shame I couldn't have just sniped off those last 2 terminators from the squads I reduces to 1, and the second contemptor... it was really a very close game.

The image was not a precise drawing of the situation, I also had broadsides and deathrains in that area.  The yellow in the drawing represents Tau vehicles.  From the top to the bottom they were devilfish, hammerhead, devilfish, hammerhead. There wasn't enough room to avoid the vehicles getting hit all at the same time (no space to stretch them all out in a line)
I did some thinking about it last night, and like you suggested I may have been able to get an extra vehicle out, and salvage a kill point or two, had I used the fire warriors to form up meat shields to buy me a turn or two.
Another big problem was the devilfish that immobilized itself in the only way out... making the evacuation effort even slower.