News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

6th edition Tyranids.

Started by Scout Sergeant Mkoll, November 05, 2012, 02:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

As some of you will be aware I attempted to make a sensible Tyranid codex for 5th edition and, frankly, I think I did a much better job than Crudface. With that in mind I have decided to tweak these house rules for 6th edition now that I am familiar with 6th edition and I have a 6th edition codex to use as a point of reference.

Some units will almost be a carbon copy of the actual codex, some will be a carbon copy of my 5th edition rules because if it ain't broke don't fix it. :P Let me know what you think.

Tyranid psychic powers

Primaris- Dominion. Blessing. Used at the beginning of the turn. If successful the synapse creature has a Synapse range of 18"
1 - Psychic Scream. Nova. Automatically hits all non-vehicle enemy units within 2D6" of the caster. All units hit must take a Leadership test. If they fail they take 1 automatic wound for each point they failed by with no armour of cover saves allowed.
2 - Leech Essence (See Biomancy powers)
3 - Warp Blast. Witchfire. Unchanged from codex: Tyranids.
4 - Catalyst. Blessing. Cast in the movement phase. A single unit, within 12" of the caster has the Feel No Pain and It Will Not Die special rules.
5 - Paroxysm. Maledicton. Unchanged from codex: Tyranids.
6: Warp Lance. Focussed witchfire. Unchanged from codex: Tyranids.

All powers are Warp Charge 1 except Warp Lance which is Warp Charge 2. Tyranid psykers may also take powers from Biomanccy or Telepathy.

Synapse - Unchanged from codex: Tyranids

Instinctive Behaviour - Unchanged from codex: Tyranids.

Shadow in the Warp - An enemy psyker wishing to take a psychic test within 12" of a creature with this rule rolls an additional D6 and will suffer Perils of the Warp on any roll of double 1 or double 6. Furthermore, if an enemy psyker is within range of 2 or more units with this ability then any double will result in Perils of the Warp.

Without Number - Units with this rule gain the Preferred Enemy special rule if they outnumber their opponents.

The Horror - Units with this rule case Fear. In addition, enemy units within 6" of a model with this rule may not fire Overwatch.

Psyker mastery levels:
Zoanthrope - level 1
Zoanthrope Prime - level 2.
Hive Tyrant - level 1.
Swarmlord - Level 2.

HQ

Hive Tyrant         150pts

WS  BS  S   T  W  I   A   Ld   Sv
7     4   6   6   4  5   4  10   3+

Unit composition: 1 Hive Tyrant
Unit type: Monstrous Creature.
Weapons and biomorphs: Scything talons, lash whip & bonesword, bonded exoskeleton
Special Rules: Synapse Creature, The Horror, Shadow in the Warp, Psyker (level 1)

Options:
As codex with the following exceptions:
Reduce Indescribable Horror to 20pts
Armoured Shell: 40pts. Grants the Hive Tyrant a 2+ armour save and a 6+ invulnerable save.
May take an additional Psyker mastery level at +25pts.

Tyranid Prime      90pts

WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A   Ld  Sv
6     4   5  5   3  5  4  10  3+

Unit composition: 1 Tyranid Prime
Unit type: Infantry
Weapons and biomorphs: Scything talons, devourer, bonded exoskeleton

Options
As codex with the following exceptions:
May take a retinue of Tyranid Warriors at +30pts/ model (all usual options for this brood apply), the entire brood may take Leaping at +5pts/model. If this option is taken the brood become Beasts rather than infantry.

Swarmlord: As Codex
Tyrant Guard: As Codex
Parasite of Mortrex: As Codex

Tervigon: As Codex. Add: Level 1 Psyker.

More to come. :)
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

I was under the impression that Nova attacks hit EVERYTHING in their given radius? Friend or foe.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on November 05, 2012, 08:16:57 PM
I was under the impression that Nova attacks hit EVERYTHING in their given radius? Friend or foe.
That's Maelstrom powers. Nova powers only hit enemy units. ;)

So no issues/suggestions for HQ so far then?

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Vyper

Just one idea. I think warp lance would be better as a beam power. Sort of the nid equivalent of molten beam.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Vyper on November 05, 2012, 10:32:40 PM
Just one idea. I think warp lance would be better as a beam power. Sort of the nid equivalent of molten beam.
I considered that, but given that Zoanthropes will still have access to Mycetic spores it seems a bit overpowered without changing the stats, something I'm trying to avoid. At least until the initial rules have been playtested.

Ok, Warlord Traits. (no names yet)
1 - All enemy psykers count as being within range of 1 extra unit with the Shadow in the Warp special rule.
2 - Grants 1 unit Preferred Enemy
3 - Grants D3 Beast units Hatred and Furious Charge.
4 - Grants D3 units Heroic Intervention.
5 - Warlord gains +1 Psyker Mastery level.
6 - All enemy units are at -1 Ld to represent the unstoppable tide they are facing.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Railgun Convention

Hmmm... Warlord has better stats than usual in some way? Most likely faster than normal, represented by Initiative or something. Or more skilled. But then I don't know how you'd pass that off...

Or perhaps the character assassin trait (which I think is from the main book), where you get extra VP for killing the opponent in a challenge (or even regardless of a challenge?).

Just some pondering for you.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Railgun Convention on December 12, 2012, 07:09:05 PM
Hmmm... Warlord has better stats than usual in some way? Most likely faster than normal, represented by Initiative or something. Or more skilled. But then I don't know how you'd pass that off...

Or perhaps the character assassin trait (which I think is from the main book), where you get extra VP for killing the opponent in a challenge (or even regardless of a challenge?).

Just some pondering for you.
Character killing boosts could be an idea.

I'm trying to avoid ripping off the main rulebook though. Number 3 on my chart is almost a carbon copy of 3 on the Chaos table already. :P

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Railgun Convention

Mkay... so perhaps the warlord gets, say, +N to BS/WS against other Warlords (and squad? Would be hard to pick out otherwise). Or gets buffs when challenged or challenging - that might work.

Don't expect me to come up with much sensible stuff, by the way :P.

Hrrm. What warlords are possible with this ruleset? *looks*

So, we have Tyrant, Warrior Prime, Tervigon, and specials. Fair enough. Not sure I see a Tervigon character-killing, but yeah :P
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Ok, the Warlord Traits table is now complete. Thoughts on it? I know 4 of the 6 are circumstantial, but they can be pretty nasty if they're relevant I think.

More units will follow very shortly.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Annoyingly, though I own a copy of the Nid codex, I don't have it available to me. However, that shouldn't exlude me from adding my 2 cents on the matter.

I think your Nids Warlord traits are a bit missguided. To my mind, they should be traits of the Warlord him/herself, not the army which he leads. Having half the traits confering boons to D3 units, isn't much of a trait of the Warlord is it?

I don't think there is much point specifying what type of Psychic power the Nid powers are. Looking at the rulebook, and the Chaos Powers, they simple cut how much text is needed per power.

Onto your cost adjustments of Armoured Shell - A bit pricey for the upgrade? Its slightly worse then Terminator armour, and is only an armour upgrade. A loyal/heretic Space Marine gets terminator Armour, a Ranged Weapon, and a Melee Weapon for the exact same price. Now, I can see why it needs to be higher, the obvious reason being its for an MC, though surely 30 or 35 pts is more reasonable.

Truth be told, I think we need to see a second 6th Edition codex before we start making assumptions and guessing what needs to be changed.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on December 31, 2012, 06:26:38 PM
Annoyingly, though I own a copy of the Nid codex, I don't have it available to me. However, that shouldn't exlude me from adding my 2 cents on the matter.

I think your Nids Warlord traits are a bit missguided. To my mind, they should be traits of the Warlord him/herself, not the army which he leads. Having half the traits confering boons to D3 units, isn't much of a trait of the Warlord is it?
I considered that, however I was struggling to come up with unique traits for the Warlord that wouldn't be overpowered. Add that to the increased synergy in the current codex and it seemed to fit fairly well. I am however more than willing to make changes should any alternatives be presented. :)

I don't think there is much point specifying what type of Psychic power the Nid powers are. Looking at the rulebook, and the Chaos Powers, they simple cut how much text is needed per power.
The types were specified just for the sake of completeness if I'm honest, I know the only one that really needed specifying was that Warp Lance is a Focussed Witchfire but it cuts down on potential queries.

Onto your cost adjustments of Armoured Shell - A bit pricey for the upgrade? Its slightly worse then Terminator armour, and is only an armour upgrade. A loyal/heretic Space Marine gets terminator Armour, a Ranged Weapon, and a Melee Weapon for the exact same price. Now, I can see why it needs to be higher, the obvious reason being its for an MC, though surely 30 or 35 pts is more reasonable.

Truth be told, I think we need to see a second 6th Edition codex before we start making assumptions and guessing what needs to be changed.
I thought that myself, but then a Marine character pays 25pts for Terminator Armour and is only T4. Now admittedly that doesn't mean much to lascannons and krak missiles etc, but the extra toughness makes a massive difference to small/medium fire. However, given that a Daemon Prince gets Power Armour for less, is the same toughness and starts with a better invulnerable save than a Tyrant can get I will lower it to 35pts prior to playtesting.

I realise that we could do with more 6th ed codexes first, however this all needs playtesting first anyway and a lot of the current codexes won't be changing any time soon so I should be able to get a decent reading on how balanced it is for the time being and, if necessary, make adjustments later.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Warlord Traits are not just about the Man/Deamon/Unnatural Horror him/itself. They are about that commanders ability to lead the army as a whole.

Ahriman has Master of Deception which allows D3 units to gain Infiltrate. This is demonstrative of his ability to spread disinformation/use magick to shield his troops from veiw/whatever mechanic you want to use.

Giving units Fearless would be be an example of his iron handed discipline over him troops.

Basiclly it covers his abilities, how they affect everyone around him and any special training that he may have provided.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

I would like some throwback items from 3rd/4th edition. I really miss some of these options.

+1 biomorph to BS
Winged Tyrant with 2+6+
Warp Blast as an option for the Tyrant. It use to be an upgrade for the Tyrant as well. Warp Field was too, but a 3+ invulnerable would put it on par with Fateweaver which I would say wouldn't be a bad ideal to allow him to have it again, but I'm happy with the 2+6+
Deathspitter goes back to being small blast, worked well with my old warriors
+1 strength upgrade always
Weapons strength is reflected off the model's strength and not a set strength
Fleshborers go back to re rolling to wound
Rending go back to needing 6s to hit with auto wound. Just being lol here.
Venom Cannon is direct fire instead of a blast. That way it can be used in swoop mode.

That is about it. Reducing the cost to carnifexes wouldn't be a bad ideal. I would say at least the same cost as a Dreadknight and more than a Wraithlord.

Extra wound and toughness biomorph upgrades would be cool.

Regeneration droped to it will not die.

Hive Tyrant can be upgraded to a swarmlord.

Broodlord have more upgrade options and can ignore saved with it's attacks.

The biggest one would be to have assault grenades again as an upgrade option.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

There will be plenty of throwbacks to 3rd and 4th edition, as I loved some of the options there.

The +1BS I'm trying to avoid as, while shooting has become all powerful this edition I'm trying to avoid going down that road and keeping the emphasis on throwing bodies into the fray.

Warp Blast is a psychic power, which are all displayed in the first post. They're now randomised as are all other psychic powers.

Where possible Tyranid rules will be changed to rulebook equivalents. Regeneration -> It Will Not Die is a good example of this. Assault grenades will be FAR more common.

The Broodlord, frankly, I'm considering dropping or putting back to HQ. The idea of "sergeants" for Tyranids really doesn't fit. Red Terror (yes, I'm bringing him back) will be an Independent Character, not a Ravener squad upgrade.

Extra Wound will not be reappearing. The Carnifex will drop to around 120pts, if you want extra wounds the Trygon will still be present. The Mawloc will not be however and the Tyrannofex is having its role changed to AA duties. Extra Toughness and Strength I'm not sure on yet.

The ranged weapon changes are under consideration, as are a couple of others. The Venom Cannon won't become direct fire though as it's always been a Blast.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Shouldn't get distracted whilst writing a reply :P

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 31, 2012, 06:54:36 PM
Warlord Traits are not just about the Man/Deamon/Unnatural Horror him/itself. They are about that commanders ability to lead the army as a whole.
I'd agree with the traiuts supplied b ythe Core Rulebook. They're a highly versatile set, and can be used to varying degrees by all the armies. But when you get down to Race Specific (see Chaos) the Traits become more singular, "Warlord and his unit" if not Warlord only boon.

I am kinda being hypocritical, using the only codex as my stand point.

Ahriman has Master of Deception which allows D3 units to gain Infiltrate. This is demonstrative of his ability to spread disinformation/use magick to shield his troops from veiw/whatever mechanic you want to use.
However, that is a Character Specific "Trait." Yes, it is taken from the Chaos Trait list, but we have seen similar rules in character before 6th.

QuoteGiving units Fearless would be be an example of his iron handed discipline over him troops.
I can easily imagine that from an Imperial Codex, but Tyranids are (by fluff) already fearless creatures that survive on thoughtless instinct. However, such a Trait would only be truly effective on the unit he accompanies, not three officerss of rank that he has personally "Disciplined."

Your example currently also has no backing, save for the first result on the Rulebook table "Inspiring Presence."

QuoteBasiclly it covers his abilities, how they affect everyone around him and any special training that he may have provided.
See just above :P

But in context to the thread, how do you create a Warlord trait that, is fluffy, beneficial, and not broken for Tyranids?