News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Airbursting Weapons

Started by Charistoph, April 06, 2013, 08:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charistoph

Zoomers and Swoopers cannot be hit by Blast weapons, but history has shown us that blast weapons are actually better at hitting flyers than direct fire weapons (though, guided blast works better).  So here's an idea I've been working on, please let me know what you think.  I'm mostly concerned about the Airburst rule.

Heavy Flakk Gun
The Heavy Flakk Gun was designed to track and hit heavy gunships out of the air using a shell that burst as it passed the target to rain shrapnel across it.

RangeSAPType
36"64Ordnance 1, Airburst
Airburst
Airburst weapons create a cloud of sharp needles as they reach a certain point, showering nearby targets with shrapnel in hopes of generating a better hit.
Airburst weapons have the Rending, Skyfire, and Blast rules with the following exceptions.
  • A weapon with the Airburst rule can hit a Flyer that has Zoomed or a Flying Monstrous Creature that has Swooped, even though it is a Blast.
  • A weapon with the Airburst rule can ONLY hit a Flyer that has Zoomed or a Flying Monstrous Creature that has Swooped.  All other models are immune to the weapon's affect.
  • A weapon with the Airburst rule will always scatter.  If a Hit! is scored, use the tiny triangle to determine direction.
  • A weapon with the Airburst rule will not have its scatter reduced by the BS of the model.

C&C welcome!
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Arkitek

Personally, I'd just allow template weapons with Skyfire to hit flyers the same way they'd hit anything else normally.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Charistoph

Quote from: Arkitek on May 24, 2013, 04:12:37 PM
Personally, I'd just allow template weapons with Skyfire to hit flyers the same way they'd hit anything else normally.

That's fine and dandy for 7th Edition, but until then...

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Arkitek

Since we're discussing house rules, I'm not sure why that's a problem.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Kur'os

I like the airburst write-up actually, Charistoph.  Though with the severe scatter penalties and ability to only hit flyers, I could see most airburst weapons being ordnance 2 or more.

If you don't mind, I'd like to use this for a special 'train heist' scenario I've been working on.  Would make for excellent defensive weapons.

-Kur'os

Charistoph

Quote from: Kur'os on June 11, 2013, 12:19:31 PM
I like the airburst write-up actually, Charistoph.  Though with the severe scatter penalties and ability to only hit flyers, I could see most airburst weapons being ordnance 2 or more.

Well, I'm starting it out smaller to make sure it isn't over the top.  A 2 Blast may well be balanced (depending on number of sources and cost).

Quote from: Kur'os on June 11, 2013, 12:19:31 PMIf you don't mind, I'd like to use this for a special 'train heist' scenario I've been working on.  Would make for excellent defensive weapons.

-Kur'os

Go right ahead.  If I really cared, I wouldn't have posted it.