News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Allonia's Escapades: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

Started by BigToof, May 17, 2013, 01:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Yes, I know this isn't a BatRep, but the last Gaiden story did so well, I had to do another.
Yes, it's Dark Eldar again, but this one has Allonia (more than usual).
Enjoy, and leave a comment if you like it!

Best,
-BT

--------------------------------
Chapter One: Treachery by Twilight
--------------------------------

Hekatrix Allonia walked somewhat hastily down the hall fo the Dark Eldar warship.  She was't sure if she should hurry, but keeping too many of your fellows waiting was a way to get yourself on the wrong side of a Venom Blade.  And such as it was, that pretty much described her entire life.  She sighed, looking at her roommate,the strange (even by Haemonculus standards) X'Bella Le'Gosi. Bella was again writing in her strange little book, but Allonia had more important things to worry about.  Bella had told her that there was some kind of important meeting, but beyond that, there wasn't much.  Given who was hosting the meeting, she wasn't sure if it was due the organizer's faults or Bella's eccentricities.

Haemonculus Count Vasja was the kind of Dark Eldar that shouldn't have gotten to his station on his own.  Most likely, his creations and reputation was entirely stolen, as there was no way that Vasja could organize a Soul Chit sale, much less likely a meaningful meeting.

Allonia smirked, as there was one bright side to the entire affair.  Whatever the meeting was about, there was no way that she could be blamed for anything.  The raids had cooled down for a while, as the Imperium was reacting to some kind of incursion or whatnot and that left easy pickings for the Grisly Hand Kabal.  In a way, things had only gotten better since the Craftworlders had arrived.  Although it was a bit hard getting used to them, she had now a measure of respect for them.  The Farseer, the rather dreamy once-Corsair Captain Thielbane, had gotten her into his bed (with more than a few others, but that was besides the point), and Allonia was sure that she had made an impression  After all, he still remembered her name after all this time, and that was a lot more than the Archon had ever done. 

She sighed.  Archon Y'stral was probably in one of his moods again, given how empty the halls were.  The Archon of the Grisly Hand was mercurial to say the least and even when things were going well, you could never entirely count on things not going belly-up in a heartbeat.

Still, it could be worse.  She could be stuck with the Fire Dragons.  Of all the Craftworlders, it was hardest to get along with the Fire Dragons, especially their Exarch, the annoyingly arrogant Gloriana.  Just because she didn't have to worry about feeding off soul energy and didn't appreciate the finer arts of the arena, she acted as if she was better than all of them.  Allonia had to admit, that it was hard to knock her prowess though, and at least she wasn't as annoying as Ray'keth.  The Exarch had slowly gotten used to the Wyches and less tension was evident after  while once the back-stabbing quieted down.  That is, or the other Wyches realized that the Fire Dragons had rather impressive armor and didn't take well to dueling without their Fusion Guns.

So, in the end, things weren't THAT bad.  Allonia waited by the door for a few more minutes, dreading opening it.  But then, after some time had passed and her sense of annoyance at wasting time slowly overcame her trepidation at having to deal with Vasja, she opened the door.

"There you are," snorted Count Vasja.  Vasja was wearing his ornate looking crimson robe that Allonia felt was the only stately looking garb the Eldar wore.  She rolled her eyes.

"Yes, Vasja, we're here"

"Don't yell at the poor girl, Vasja," said a familiarly irritating voice," She probably forgot which foot goes in front of the other."

Allonia felt her eyes narrow as she saw the figure of her rival, the Hekatrix Ray'keth.  Ray'keth had somehow managed to once again get a better looking Wychsuit than her and had her hair re-done with better highlights and trophies.  As if she went on raids anymore, Allonia snorted to herself.

"Now, to the matters at hand," continued Vasja, as he motioned for Bella and Allonia to sit.

Bella stood in place, hovering and writing absently in her book while Allonia sat at a rather dingy looking table.  Funny accomidations for a meeting, she thought, but knowing Vasja, he probably didn't even care about the needs for those Eldar who actually wanted to sit.

Vasja nodded to them all in a way that Allonia thought was a way to make him look somewhat intelligent.

"Now, said the Haemonculus," I think we all know why we're gathered here.  There is a grave threat to the safety of the Kabal and we must put an  end to it."

Ray'keth nodded sagely and Allonia nodded slowly while throwing a glare at Bella.  Apparently some information had missed her.  But, if there was a choice between feigning ignorance or feigning attention, Allonia knew which one she was better at.

"Indeed, said Vasja, "We are here to expel the Craftworlders."

Allonia tried not to fall off her chair.

"But, but Vasja, Allonia started.

"Indeed," interrupted Ray'keth, "You can't deal with them in any way.  Do you know that I haven't been on a raid in ages?  It's not for lack of trying either, but the Archon would rather take his little Crafterworlder pets than take decent Dark Eldar."

Vasja nodded.

Ray'keth snorted at Allonia, "Atlthough apprantly he does make some exceptions for the less attractive meatshields."

Allonia bristled, "Yes, Ray'keth I'm sure that's the reason.  But...  But are they really that bad?"

"'That bad,'" growled Vasja.  "Of course they're bad.  Horrendous.  They've poisoned the Archon's mind.  What with them and their...  their ways.  It doesn't matter that we've been loyal."

Allonia tried not to loose her eyes in the back of her head.  The very concept of Vasja being loyal was about as possible as a Grotesque winning a beauty contest.

"Indeed," said Ray'ekth, who apparently couldn't think of another interrupting word, "It's not as if the Fire Dragons are any better.  Do you now that the Wyches have asked around and the Warriors are now starting to...  to PREFER the Exarch?"

Allonia raised an eyebrow, "Well, I mean, she' tall and all."

"Tall?  TALL?!" crowed Ray'keth.  "Oh you must be joking.  You haven't noticed her stately looks?  The spartan non-makeup face that somehow mocks us?  The hint of cleavage in the armor that clearly shows that she's a tad bit bustier than us?"

Allonia sighed.   Here it was.   Things suddenly were a bit more apparent.  Ray'keth couldn't care who was actually in charge, but only one female could be the prettiest and blood would be spilled until everyone knew who that was.

Allonia didnt' care that much, but she always thought that she was a bit bigger than the Exarch.  Not that she had really thought about it.

"Bella?" said Ray'keth,  "Show her your chart."

Bella nodded and pulled out a small ghost-holo.

Allonia raised an eyebrow as a list of names and measurements appeared.

"See," Ray'keth said, pointing to highlighted names.  "She's a good finger-breath's larger than me.  And maybe half a hand larger than you."

Allonia sighed.  "Sure, Ray'keth, I...  Why is Bella's size a range?  I...  Never mind, Bella, I don't need to know."

So, Vasja said, "Now we can begin our plan."

"Oh," said Allonia, trying not wince, "There's a plan?"

"Indeed " said Vasja who had apparently all the imagination of Ray'keth when it came to vocabulary, "We will follow my newest intricate operation, and in the end of it, things will be restored to what they should be.  With me.  I mean, us, In charge."

Alonia frowned, "Vasja, I don't think that...  Wait, us?  What about the Archon?"

Vasja snorted, "He has shown his weakness.  And when the weak fall, it is up to the strong to consume them."

"I don't like this," said Allonia, Mutiny wasn't something that was in the picture before.  I think I'm not interested in it."

"Oh, indeed," said Vasja, "And so that's why I kept a ghost-holo of the proceedings.  If anything goes wrong, my dear, you'll be right along with us in whatever horrible torture the Archon devises."

Allonia swallowed and looked over at Bella who was just writing in her book again.  What did I do to deserve this?  she asked herself.

Bu, she thought, at least it couldn't get worse.

End of Chapter 1.

Next up:
Chapter 2: It Gets Worse!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Rej

Phew...

BigToof

Thanks for the comment, Rej!

I hope this'll have some more positive reviews, and then I can put out the next hopefully sooner than later...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Ooo, another BT fluff piece, I do love these, all the fun fluff without the limitations of a battle report.

And now that you aren't really using DE at the moment (something to do with Tau being so amazing and all I presume), this could be our only chance to see Allonia and co. for quite some time.

Part 1 was good, you always have to pity your protagonists, their colleagues are out to get them as much as their foes, if not more so. Makes you long for the days of the fearsome antagonists doesn't it (Lady D immediately springing to mind there).

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

BigToof

Thanks for the reply Cammerz.
I'm liking this rep as well, but with the new Eldar coming out the DE may come out to play sooner than later :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

LinnScarlett

Oh lordy, you made me have to mop up spilled coffee from my keyboard due to laughter on at least three separate occassions! That was great, BT! (As always, really!) You are so good with dialogue, and always manage to write it in a way that is both logical and witty/funny too! I loved it!

Still, the ex-novelist assistant-tutor in me feels compelled to ask for more backdrop (that is, non-dialogue surroundings), mostly because I am curious as to how the world of your characters looks like, around them, and partially because I can't help but see them on a theater stage all the time, due to it, rather than in a living, breathing, changing world! That, and its really the only thing I can think of in which way you could possibly 'improve'. Hehe.  ;D

Oh - hm! Perhaps re-reading your post after posting, there's some tiny little typos in there ;)
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

BigToof

Quote from: LinnScarlett on May 19, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
Oh lordy, you made me have to mop up spilled coffee from my keyboard due to laughter on at least three separate occassions! That was great, BT! (As always, really!) You are so good with dialogue, and always manage to write it in a way that is both logical and witty/funny too! I loved it!

Still, the ex-novelist assistant-tutor in me feels compelled to ask for more backdrop (that is, non-dialogue surroundings), mostly because I am curious as to how the world of your characters looks like, around them, and partially because I can't help but see them on a theater stage all the time, due to it, rather than in a living, breathing, changing world! That, and its really the only thing I can think of in which way you could possibly 'improve'. Hehe.  ;D

Oh - hm! Perhaps re-reading your post after posting, there's some tiny little typos in there ;)

Thanks for the reply Linn!
I always do like dialogue much more than scenery (perhaps it does come from reading too many plays :) )
But thank you for the comments, I will work to build that up more.
Tell me what you think of chapter two!
---------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------
Chapter Two: The Depth of Failure
-----------------------------------

Hekatrix Allonia shifted uncomfortably in her makeshift stakeout post.  It really wasn't much, just a tarp covering a bunch of boxes atop a catwalk.  However, it did offer a generous view of the hanger where the Sky Ponies practiced. 

Allonia tried not to think about the name too much, as it would require her to take the flamboyant Reavers seriously.  She glanced down at the quintet of Dark Eldar polishing their bikes and talking about... whatever it was that floated through their minds.  They were fake-Hellions-wannabe-fools that probably came from some lower House, and were at least ignorable when they were doing a poor attempt at trying to be street rats.  But, now, after somehow getting their hands on Jetbikes, they had the audacity to win a race in the Arena.  Allonia couldn't believe it when she heard the news, and instead of just having them all executed, the Succubus in charge was apparently amused enough that she gave them the title of Champions and honorary Wyches. 

The thought of the little whining debutantes skipping the years of harsh training that she and all of the other Wyches had to endure was enough to make her want to skin them alive.  It was only through their existence on Archon Y'stral's roving Kabal that kept them from being hunted down and properly eliminated.  Allonia frowned as her stomache growled.  She sniffed the air and frowned as she saw the Reavers leaning against their bikes, boasting and sharing elegantly prepared meals, no doubt made by someone who knew what they were doing. 

Scowling a bit, she took a bite from the half-eaten protein bar that she had gotten from the general food repository.  It was white, crumbly, and about as flavourful as licking the inside of her Wychsuit.  Which, she had to admit, had seen better days.  She looked down at the Reavers, insuring that they weren't going anywhere, and then looked at her reflection in a pool of collected fetid water by her feet.  Her dark hair was running out of highlights and her pale complexion had seen better days.  Even her Wychsuit seemed old and threadbare in comparison to the youngsters beneath her.  It wasn't fair, she thought.  She was clearly more capable, more skilled, and certainly more intelligent than all of them rolled together.  The only reason why they had special treatment was the fact that Farseer/Captain Theilbane chose to ride with them.  She sighed, trying also not to think of the Captain too hard, but failed dramatically.

The Captain was like a perfect dream made flesh, with ice-blue eyes and long blonde hair that seemed to cup his face like sensuous strands of light.  Even his body was elegant, with lithe muscles and smooth skin that looked supple, but his hands could coax the most amazing sensations out of her.  Allonia shuddered at the thought.  It was like shoving a Venom Blade through the eyes of a Hive Tyrant, only without so much mess.  She had only shared his bed once (with half a dozen or so others, but that was besides the point), and part of her ached to return.  Never before had she felt so special, so important.  With the Archon it was always, "Go here, girl," "Go there, girl," "Stand here and take this bullet before I beat your skull in."  But not so with the Captain.  It was said that he had charmed the hearts of hundreds, Eldar and Alien alike, and she could believe it.  She frowned in thought.  If she felt this way, why was she going through with all this?  Certainly she could just bring it up to the Captain and he would make things right.  That is, if he cared enough. 
Or, if he even believed her.  Allonia sighed.  That was the problem with being one of the Dark Eldar.  Lies, deception and undercutting (both literally and figuratively) the opposition was a daily part of life, as natural as breathing.  Honesty and true intentions were about as foreign as well...  love.  She thought about the concept sometimes.  The Mon-Keigh had this strange idea of love.  Not love of spilling blood or debasing your rivals, but some kind of visceral attachment that made you stupid.  And it was highly valued.  Allonia shook her head again.  Perhaps too much thought was about as dangerous as...

"Ooh!  Are we hiding?  Can I play?"

Allonia jerked her head up to see the grinning face of Starsparkle.  The Hekatrix sighed as Starparkle laughed her musical, nerve-grating laugh.  Star was the youngest of all the Dark Eldar on the warship, and it was painfully obvious that her mere existence was proof that even Khaine had a sense of humour.  Short, flat-chested and wearing bright Sparkles all over her dark coloured Wychsuit, she seemed more kaleidoscope than Eldar.  The fact that she was somehow an Arena Champion ground on Allonia's nerves the hardest.  Star was just lucky.  Allonia had watched her fight and there was nothing of a Wych's planned elegance and demeanor in her moves.  It was more like watching someone spasm on a drug overdose than actual combat.  The fact that they were technically equals made Allonia want to punt her off the catwalk.  The worst of it all, was that somehow, despite Allonia's obvious intentions, Star considered them to be friends.

"No, Star.  I'm...  Can you just..."

"Hey, you can see our hanger from here!  Yoo-hoo!  Hi guys, I'm way up here!"

Allonia held her head as the youngster jumped up and down like a Tau, waving her arms and totally giving away her position.  Wonderful, she thought.  Well, it could be worse.  At least only Star had found them.  Fooling her was about as difficult as slitting the throat of a Gretchin.  All Allonia needed to do was just wait and...

"Hello, Allonia.  Is something wrong?"

The Hekatrix jerked to her feet and saw her target, Farseer-Captain Thielbane standing a few fet from her, wearing his green and scarlet coloured robes covered with delicately made runes.  Star had done a masterfully unintentional job of distracting her and she had missed his approach.  Khaine above, she thought, What do I say?  She whet her lips.  Whatever it was, it had to be a masterful response.  Something natural, yet not too rehearsed.  Something jovial, yet not overcalculated.

"Oh, hi!  Yes.  Allonia, me!  Yes, hi!"

She bit her lip as soon as the words left her mouth.  She tried not to let her cheeks redden, but knew it was impossible.  By the Muses, she thought, you really can screw up even beyond your expectations, can't you?  She winced.  Now she was done for.  Thielbane could read minds.  If he was suspicious, he could delve into her brain and pull out the treacherous memories and she would be done for.  Her skin would be part of the flayed ensemble in the warroom and her last moments would be of extreme and unbearable torture.  Just what you deserve, you complete idiot, she thought.  Stupid, stupid, stupid...

There was a soft step, and Allonia was surprised to see Thielbane sit down next to her.  She glanced around, but Star was nowhere to be seen.  Thielbane threw her one of his smiles and Allonia felt her insides melt.

"I hope you don't mind I sent Star away.  It looks like you might want some privacy."

Allonia bobbed her head up and down a few times, and then stopped.  Khaine's blood, she thought, you're not servicing a pack of Mandrakes, pull yourself together.

"I...  I..."

"Let me guess...  You're here for some privacy?"

Well, close enough, she thought.

"Y...  Yes.  Privacy.  Me.  I...  Yes."

Thielbane threw a small smirk at her, and Allonia felt herself shrink down even more.

"Hmm...  Is it about me and the Exarch?"

Allonia's eyes widened as if they were going to pop out of her head and she stared at Thielbane in shock.  He knows, she thought, how does he know?  Is he going to twist the knife before he does me in or just be quick and to the point?  She braced for the death strike, but then the Farseer-Captain spoke.

"I've thought about things as well, and...  I apologize for the situation."

"Uh... Wha?"

Thielbane threw back a lock of hair and looked somewhat dejected at the ground.

"Gloriana is an old childhood friend.  We had... feelings for each other, and even though she denies it, I think she still has them.  It's... difficult for Craftworlders after switching paths.  Even I find it difficult to forget everything.  Sometimes...  Sometimes I wish it could be different.  Don't you?"

Allonia nodded her head woodenly and then stopped before she gave herself whiplash.  What was going on?  Apparently the conversation was going on completely without her, but as long as it didn't involve her being turned inside out at the end of it, maybe it wouldn't be all that bad.

The Farseer continued, "So...  You can understand why she might be...  well...  Jealous, for the lack of a better term."

Allonia raised an eyebrow.  Jealous?  Of her?  Really?  What kind of dream world were they living in?

Thielbane chuckled a bit, "I guess it's hard for you to understand, but coupling amongst the Craftworlders...  It's a delicate thing.  Not something so easily given away.  Especially if you're on one of the more 'respectable' Paths.  In a way, I envy you, Allonia."

"Me?"

He nodded, "Yes, you.  So beautiful, and so carefree.  I hope...  I hope it works out for the best for everyone. I'll talk with Glory and tell her to lay off you.  Now stand up out of there, you'll crinkle up your suit."

Allonia nodded and stood, trying to ignore the cries from her joints.  Stakeouts never were something that she liked.

Thielbane smiled and her and said, "Tell me, has anyone taken you out recently?  Because I could use a bite and a drink, and I'd love to have a companion of your calibur join me.  That is, if you'll do me the honour?"

The Farseer-Captain bowed, and Allonia tried not to think of all the ways she could cut his throat from this angle.  It would be actually fairly easy, and she could dispose of the body with minimal effort.  Vasja would be pleased.  Yes, she thought sarcastically, that's real motivation there.

Encircling her arm around his, Allonia and Thielbane walked together from the catwalk. 

Perhaps things weren't perfect, but then again, maybe they didn't have to be.

--------------------
End Chapter Two
--------------------
BigToof Points:

LinnScarlett

Ooooooooo.... I LOVE IT!  ;D

There's definitely a bit more surrounding, very nice! I am sure 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' betrayed to you that I enjoy writing surroundings/atmosphere myself, so yea, maybe a bit biased!

Allonia reminds me of me and one of my first crush in a whole range of mildly embarrassing and hilarious ways. Hehe. I especially loved the passage about love: 'Honesty and true intentions were about as foreign as well...  love.  She thought about the concept sometimes.  The Mon-Keigh had this strange idea of love.  Not love of spilling blood or debasing your rivals, but some kind of visceral attachment that made you stupid.  And it was highly valued.' That just had me laughing for... all of five minutes I think.  :P

You really need to join up at AO3org and spread the storytelling-love there too! The place needs more W40k writers, and its a very nice site to use/store/catalogue your stories. And easy to find, and favour and bookmark and subscribe to by others. ;)

Two things though:
1. Still a few typos/sentence hops (probably little things that skipped when you typed, like a missing 'and' and a switched around word here and there)
2. Twice that I saw you repeat the same sort of prosaic figure of speech in nearly one sentence after the other, like '...had seen better days' in paragraph four. I am not a big fan of using such expressions twice very close after one another (or even within a chapter/story if I can help it). However, you could also make the second '...had also seen better days', and then it works again. Up to you though. I'd personally come up with something else for the second one. There was another situation like this somewhere at the start, but now I can't find it anymore...  :facepalm001:

PS
Judging from your style of writing, if you also like reading this sort of thing - you should check out 'The Emperor's Edge' by Lindsay Buroker. It's a steampunkish detective-ish book series about an enforcer girl, a notorious assassin, and all the hilarious mayhem that comes with them being framed and outlawed for all the wrong reasons. The first book (called 'The Emperor's Edge') is a free e-download at Amazone.com! You should REALLY give it a try!  ;D

BigToof

Thanks Linn,
I really liked this one as well, and thank you very much for the critiques!
I try to put work into making them better and I'm glad I had a favorite seen for you.

Hope to also see other replies from others as well, as I'm starting to get ideas for part three as we speak!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on May 25, 2013, 03:59:13 AM
Hope to also see other replies from others as well, as I'm starting to get ideas for part three as we speak!

Well usually BT I'd wait until the entire story ends before writing up my full review but if you insist;

I enjoyed the mad and annoying nature of Starsparkle which I remember from the old DE battle reports.

I'm also really just hoping that Allonia forsakes the other DE conspirators and just does whatever she wants, maybe leading to a bit of character-vs-character combat? Really the politics and the violence are the parts of these stories that interest me, not so much the romance but I'll read it all nonetheless.

Looking forward to part 3.

BigToof

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry if I was a bit too demanding :)
In any case, I hope to get another chapter up before my next batrep, as I'm getting the feeling I may put up my DE vs. Tau game.

Also, in general, I'm getting the feeling that Fire Dragons may be getting some kind of nerf, and I may not use Gloriana much if so...

GW messing with my pre-conceived notions again :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

LinnScarlett

Keeps it interesting, doesn't it?

I'd love to see some character-vs-character too; all the combat, intrigue and romance mashed together in one tumbling story is what makes your writing such a good read! :D

I really need to sit down and fix my third chapter of Burn... its lying there... staring at me... demanding last-minute touch up...

BigToof

Quote from: LinnScarlett on May 30, 2013, 08:23:21 PM
Keeps it interesting, doesn't it?

I'd love to see some character-vs-character too; all the combat, intrigue and romance mashed together in one tumbling story is what makes your writing such a good read! :D

I really need to sit down and fix my third chapter of Burn... its lying there... staring at me... demanding last-minute touch up...

Hi Linn,
I know what you mean, but I did have a burst of brilliance (or at least of bull...  uh... pucky) and the last chapter kind of popped it's way onto my computer.

Let me know what you all think!

I'd love to do more.  Comment away and let me know who you'd like to see up next!

Best,
-BT

-----------------------

---------------------------------------------
Chapter 3: Treachery and Tribulations
------------------------------------------------

Never before had Allonia felt so free.  She looked in her reflection in the elegant, polished, goblet and almost didn't recognize herself.  They had spent all afternoon just on her.  It had started with the salon, and getting herself an entirely refurbished look, from improved highlights, a total body scrub and decals on her nails.  This alone was a luxury that she had never experienced before, and had always mocked the simple seeming nobles that gushed over themselves with such minor changes.  But, she had to admit, she felt like an entirely different person.

And that wasn't the end of it.  Next, she went to the Trueborn outfitters, the ones that wouldn't even think of letting her in the front door.  A tube-born no-nothing like herself knew her place, but the Farseer was clearly a different matter.  He just asked for the finest with a smile, and then turned down the proffered goods.  Twice.  That is, until Allonia was given an outfit that she couldn't have imagined would ever be worn by someone like her.  Spun from some kind of elegant Warp-Spider silk, the dress was dark as a Mandrake's soul, but somehow lit up with soft twinkling gemstones that were sewn along it, highlighting her rather meager curves.  It concealed, but let everyone watching know exactly what was underneath.  She almost bit through her lip when she first tried it on, unsure if it was some kind of joke.  But, it wasn't.  At least, it hadn't hit her yet, and Allonia had almost stopped caring if it was.  And then, Thielbane had escorted her around the entire promenade, showing her off as if she was the most valuable courtesan and then took her to dinner at a rather extravagant, private room. 

They were eating things that Allonia didn't know the names of, but they tasted good.  Great.  Better than anything she had before.  She was trying to keep up with the Farseer's conversation, and add in when she was asked to speak.  Which was more often than she should.  Looking up, she saw his handsome face, lit by the lights suspended above them.  It was a small room, no bigger than the deck of a Venom, with enough room for two people at a small crystalline table.  The decor that hung on the wall seemed elegantly alien, and probably very expensive.  Whoever had designed the room had taken steps to ensure that the sound seemed to reach around it, so the merest whispers could be audible to those at the center.  Allonia hadn't realized that such things could be made.  All of her life had been geared towards destruction and fanfare.  All of this subtlety and excess was familiar, but had been clearly off-limits before.  Now, though...  Things were different, but for how long?

"Is the meal bothering you?"

Allonia perked up to see Thielbane smiling attentively at her.  She shuffled slightly, trying and horribly failing to mask her nervousness.

"Oh.  Yes, the food.  It's.  Great.  Yes."

Thielband nodded to himself and chuckled slightly.  Allonia swallowed.  Right, this was the point where the balance had to be paid.  She had heard about these sort of things before.  A high-up noble would sweep a gullible low-born off her feet, doll her up, and then force her to engage in all sorts of painful, humiliating displays, stripping her of everything while an audience looked on and laughed.  She closed her eyes.  It was so obvious, really.  Why hadn't she seen it before?  She was starting to imagine what he would start with when Thielbane spoke.

"I'm trying too hard, aren't I?"

Allonia looked up, more confused than before.  He had clearly made a question, and it was on her to answer.  Unless it was one of those questions you weren't supposed to answer, and then she'd look like a fool.  How could she tell?  Would she be able to tell?  Why would...

"It's just that it's been a long time since I've been on...  Well, a date really."

Allonia paused.  Apparently she wasn't supposed to talk.  That would work out nicely, as she hadn't figured out what to say yet.  She nodded in what was hopefully a reassuring manner.

Thielbane continued, "Oh, well, not to say that I hadn't taken you all seriously before.  But, there's a difference between... coupling and... well... romance.  You do understand that, don't you?"

Khaine above, Allonia thought, Was she?  Did the Farseer expect her to have this kind of knowledge?  Because the back-end of the Arena had the kind of "coupling" that was usually short, swift, and brutal with only one person getting satisfaction out of it.  Romance was usually done with the back of a hand.  Not that you didn't learn to accept it after a while, but still...

He sighed, "Wow, I am out of practice.  Either I've entirely embarrassed you, intimidated you, or drawn your ire.  And for the first time in a long time...  I'm not really sure which one.  It's... kind of refreshing actually.  Usually by now, it's a round-a-bout sort of battle of wits, but you're...  You're playing hard-to-get.  I... sort of like that."

Allonia looked around.  Was he talking about her?  Because if so, obfuscating intelligence was far easier than it looked.  She thought about maybe continuing the charade a bit further, but realized that the moment she DID try to say something useful, it would come out like the verbal diarrhea that she knew was the sole occupant of her social mores.  Best just to saying something.

"I..."

There was a knock at the door, and before Thielbane could say something, the door opened and in walked Ray'keth.  Allonia narrowed her eyes and scowled when she saw that Ray'keth had a new Wychsuit and had clearly re-done her makeup in a particularly noxious way.  Then again, knowing Ray'keth, if she was aiming for the lowest common denominator, she didn't have to aim far.

"Oh, a thousand pardons, Farseer, I didn't know that you were in this room.  I...  Oh.  You... have a guest."

Ray'keth looked crestfallen and her eye twitched in the way that usually meant she was on the verge of launching a screeching assault.  Allonia couldn't help but smile.  Then, Ray'keth raised an eyebrow, turned her head to side while looking at her.  Allonia squirmed a bit, and then looked away when Ray'keth started to laugh.

"Oh, oh my, is that you, Allonia?  I didn't recognize you under all of that finery.  I suppose that even garbage can't keep from looking good in a jeweled container."

Ray'keth let off one of her patented giggles, and Allonia felt herself ooze into the ground.  Who was she kidding?  She wasn't a courtier, or a noble, or anything like it.  Ray'keth was right.  And furthermore...

"Take that back."

Allonia looked up to see that Thielbane had stood and was now within arm's reach of Ray'keth.  Ray'keth inched back a bit.  In the Arena, much like the rest of Dark Eldar society, distance was important.  Most nobles kept each other at a sword's length, a proper space for equals that respected each other's lethality.  The Farseer had just walked into Ray'keth's space and the Hekatrix had backed off, as was proper.  However, Thielbane responded by taking another step forwards, forcing Ray'keth out of the door.

Ray'keth sputtered and bowed deeply with respect, "Of...  Of course, great Farseer-Captain, I greatly apologize to you, I don't know what..."

"Not to me.  To her."

Ray'keth froze as if struck.  A few moments paused and she responded slowly as if her guts were being turned inside-out.  "Yes, yes.  Indeed.  I.  Am.  S...  Sorry.  Allon...  Allonia."

"Good.  Goodbye, Hekatrix."

"Oh, my name is..." was all Ray'keth could get out before Thielbane shut the door in her face.

"Well, I think that shut her up."

Allonia paused for a few moments and then laughed.  She tried to hold it in, but it all sort of fell out of her.  Wiping the tears from her eyes she looked up to see Thielbane smiling at her.  He was so close, clearly closer than he should be.  It would be the polite thing to edge away, to move to where she should be.  But as he drew closer, she knew, that was the last place she wanted to be.  Closing her eyes, she leaned in...

And that was when there was a knock on the door again.

Sighing, Thielbane pushed himself away from the disappointed Allonia and walked to the door.  He opened it and was already saying, "Listen, I told you..."

And then paused as he saw the tall Fire Dragon standing in the door.  Allonia swallowed when she recognized the Eldar.  Exarch Gloriana.  Tall, broad-shouldered, with polished orange-red armor that gleamed in the light.  And she had a Fusion Gun that looked ready to burn anything in her way to cinders.  Normally, Allonia wouldn't be so worried, but Gloriana was also some kind of ex-girlfriend of the Farseer, and she knew how things could rapidly go downhill.  She inwardly hoped that this would not be one of those situations.

"Glory?" said Thielbane, "What's going on?"

Gloriana snorted, "I was looking into the rumor that my Farseer was running around unescorted through the more dangerous parts of the ship.  You are aware that we are still on a ship of the Dark Ones?"

Thielbane sighed, "Yes, yes I am, Glory.  Everything's fine now and..."

Allonia saw Gloriana scan the room, and watched her eyes narrow when the Exarch spied her.  Pushing past Thielbane, Gloriana walked into the room.

"What...  What are you doing, Farseer?  Surely you don't mean to waste your time with prostitutes?"

Allonia sighed, covering her face with her hands.  At least she wasn't recognized.  Things could be worse.

Thielbane walked forwards, looking the Exarch in the eyes.

"Glory, please, this isn't what it looks like."

"Then enlighten me, Farseer, because this looks like a rather improper action for someone of your status.  Dipping their wick in the refuse of the forsaken ones?  Surely you have better ways to satiate your lusts?"

Allonia saw Thielbane sigh again, and rub his temples in thought.  Well, she thought, it seems that he's not going to dismiss the Exarch like he did Ray'keth.  Which means that he probably cares about her.  And perhaps that was the entire point.  Was he doing all this just to make her jealous?  Allonia looked at the table and her rapidly cooling meal.  Perhaps it was just a sham after all, nothing more to be thought of after all.

"Glory, could you just go?"

"Very well, but if I'm going, she's coming with me."

Allonia heard the footsteps, and looked up with alarm when the gauntleted hand grabbed her right arm.  The rational side of Allonia's mind recognized that this might be a common-place action amongst the Craftworlders.  They didn't have the same understanding of distance and such.  But, amongst the Dark Eldar, getting closer than a dagger's breath from someone meant that you had no respect for them, or you were intimately engaging them.  To actually touch another without permission meant total subservience by one party or a challenge thereof.  On the other hand, the emotional side had really had enough, and this was a good enough excuse.

Before the Exarch could do much of anything, Allonia bounced to her feet and landed three hard jabs with her left hand into the Exarch's face. They weren't meant to do much damage, but to disorient.  She followed up with a kick to the knee and immediately regretted it when her foot bounced off the Exarch's armor.  The dress was slowing her down, she told herself.  It was pretty, but was probably going to get her killed if she wasn't careful.

As if on cue, Gloriana grabbed Allonia by the hair and jerked her off her feet, sending both of them spiraling into the table.  As the crystalline table shattered, Allonia tried to roll away, but the dress and the Exarch were both getting in her way, and she landed in perhaps, the worst possible position.  As a veteran of the Arena, she realized what was going on in a way that few others could.  Her right leg was trapped under the Exarch, in a position that wasn't going to let her out easily.  The Exarch still had her wrist, and could jerk it away at a moment's notice.  And worst of all, the Exarch was on top of her and she was flat on her back.  Once the Exarch pulled back, she could start smashing Allonia's face in with her free hand, which didn't leave many options.

One, she could try an eye-gouge or some other crippling technique, which would be hard, even if she was in a better position, and her opponent didn't clearly have a longer reach.  Two, she could try and weather the punches, but gauntleted fists have a way of wearing you down especially with your head against the ground.  And three, she could pull out one of the pins from her hair and jab it into the Exarch's neck.  It was fatal, and a blow to her own honour, given that she had to use a weapon against an unarmed opponent that wasn't Arena trained, but it would probably be better than a broken face.  As the Exarch leaned back, Allonia whipped a hand up to her hair...

And that was when she heard a familiar voice.

"So, do we pour the oil on them now, or later?"

The voice made every nerve in Allonia grind to a halt.  She pulled her leg out from under the Exarch hard, ignoring the hard snap and feeling of nausea.  Rolling to her feet and trying to ignore the loose feeling running down her knee, she tried her best to bow.

"Great Archon!"

Archon Y'stral sighed, looking over both Allonia and Gloriana.  He was wearing his raiding armor, all of it's spikey black and purple majesty clearly ready for wholesome murdering.  Stroking his pointed chin, Y'stral looked at Thielbane, who was looking rather pensive.

"Yeah, yeah, Great Archon and all.  Thiel!  I'm ready to get some raiding done.  Put the whores away and let's get down to business!"

Thielbane sighed and looked up at Y'tral, "Not now, Y'stral, I'm right in the middle of..."

"Yeah, I can see what you're in the middle of, but I need to get my murder on.  Come on, there'll be a chance at some ripe nubiles that you can have fun with.  What do you say?  I...  Hey, isn't that my Wych?"

Allonia blushed, looking at the ground.  She had hoped he wouldn't recognize her, but apparently Khaine was all out of favors.

Thielbane nodded, "Yes, she's... been very kind to take me up on my invitation.  Now..."

"She's all gimpy!  Thiel, you gimped up my Wych!  Now what am I supposed to do?"

The Farseer was about to respond, when a horde of running footsteps brought his attention to down the hall.  A large mob of Wracks, surgically modified Eldar in thrall to the Haemonculi, were surging forward, with Haemonculus Count Vasja at their lead.  Next to him, much to Allonia's chagrin, was Ray'keth, sporting a cheshire grin.  Apparently, she thought, Khaine also doesn't like to let things lie for very long.  As the Wraiths grew closer, they drew out long-barreled weapons that Allonia recognized as Liquifier guns.  Her heart skipped a beat.  The guns fired some kind of potent toxin that the Haemonculi had devised.  She had seen it eat through the power-armor of a Space Marine like it was soft flesh, and with that many guns, they could easily render all of them to a puddle of paste.  Things were not good indeed.

Slowing down, Count Vasja motioned for the group to stop.

"Archon Y'stral!  As leader of the..."

Y'stral strode forward, ignoring the fact that Vasja was talking.

"You!  Other Haemo!  My Wych is all gimped up!  I can't go raiding with a gimped up Wych.  No fun if you can't have things to catch bullets for you.  No fun at all.  Take your freaks and some Wyches to the surface.  Get things done."

Y'stral looked at Ray'keth, who also looked more than a little confused.

"Your Wych is fine, right?"

Vasja opened and closed his mouth a few times, and Allonia could see his tiny mind running through various emotions:  Anger, confusion, outrage, rationalization, and finally raw arrogance.

"Of...  Course, Archon, I will lead a grand force to victory.  Much as I have always done.  And I will take this Wych, who is most definitely not um...  not 'gimped.'  And furthermore..."

"Yeah, yeah, sure Haemo, whatever. Thiel, get my Wych fixed.  You owe me.  I can't believe that JUST as I get into the mood, things go get fouled up.  Gonna need a major Splintermind orgy to get my mind of off this one."

And at that, the Archon turned on his heel and walked away.

Vasja looked smugly at Ray'keth, who was clapping her hands like an electro-whip victim.  Allonia rolled her eyes, and tested her foot.  She tried not to scream, but a kind of muffled yelp passed her lips.  Broken.  Probably in multiple places.  This was going to be fun trying to get to Bella's lair like this.  Just as she was about to step again, she felt a firm grip, and looked up with surprise to see Thielbane steadying her.

There was a pause from all parties, and then Exarch Gloriana spoke, "Farseer!  You...  You cannot allow yourself to... to..."

Thielbane shot a grin at the Exarch, "Sorry, Glory, but I did promise the Archon.  But, you're right, I'm doing it wrong."

With a swing from his hips, he whirled Allonia into his arms, and then pressed past the pack of stunned Dark Eldar.  Smiling at Allonia, he whistled a bright tune walking down the dank passageways.  Allonia tried not to blush and even more tried not to think about this obvious breach of custom.  If she let him carry her, she was admitting weakness, something that was forbidden in Dark Eldar society.  But, she thought, looking around at the shocked faces that they passed, perhaps some change was not necessarily a bad thing at all.

------------
BigToof Points:

Rej

Wahoo! I like it when thiings are good for Allonia! Nice read, I like the customs of dark eldar society you refer too, they make good sense!
Phew...

LinnScarlett

Oh dear lords above, I know >exactly< what Alli feels like  :facepalm001:

Also, I really wanted to beat the Exarch in the face... Ray is annoying, but that Exarch was just... Ugh. The Ex! Insta blood-boil  :derp:

'You gimped my Wych?!' is probably going to be my new favourite quote for the coming days! That was a great chapter, BT. Can't wait to read more about Alli and the rest of them bundles of joy  ;D