News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Exiled Cadre - Old Fan-dex [2007]

Started by Narric, November 20, 2013, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I'd like to start by pointing out this is not my creation. The formating is god awful, and is not how I would do it myself. I did try to sort it wout, but I just couldn't :( I know there are some on this forum who will probably throw a fit about the mere existance of this creative work. to them I ask they try an approach this in a different way. Like explain the points that make it a bad work, and were it can/should be changed to improve it. Everyone loves a challenge, right?

I'm not sure the best way to describe this, so I'll just copy-paste the Fan-dex's Introduction. Enjoy ^_^

Greetings, commander. This text is a compilation of the doctrines and tactics of those warriors exiled by the Tau Empire, and must not be allowed into the hands of our kinsmen who follow the so-called Greater Good. This book will guide you in the techniques of collecting, painting and gaming with a Tau Exiled Cadre in the Warhammer 40,000 game. Exiled cadres take the teachings of the empire in the ways of war and combine them with their own personal ideals and needs. An exiled cadre commander keeps his most trusted veterans close and has to utilise the limited resources he has as efficiently as he can to ensure the survival of his cadre.

The .docx is here: http://sta.sh/01gsj8rh5i1m

And have some cool artwork which is supposed to be the cover art:

Mabbz

I like the cover. Let me just get that out of the way. As for the rest...

I like house rules, always have. I've wrote plenty. And these seem reasonable. Nothing seemed hopelessly broken, but I admit I may have missed something since the formatting was, as you said, god-awful. It's somewhat out of date, and could do with an update.

The fact is that home brewed codexi in 40k are usually more of a thought exercise than a genuine attempt at changing the game. Very rarely do house rules actually get used, so the main fun comes from 1) trying to write rules that everyone agrees are balanced, 2) writing fluff that is interesting and makes sense, and 3) writing rules that do a good job of representing that fluff. Since the rules aren't actually used generally, the fluff is the main thing in my mind.

This fluff looks interesting and plausible. Hell, I made (more or less) an exiled Kill Team years ago, and I'd never even heard of this codex. As far as I can see the fluff lines up with the rules quite well too. I think the most urgent improvement would be to re-format it so that it's more easily readable and update it to 6th ed rules. Until that's done, there isn't much I can say.