News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 25, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 04, 2015, 11:31:20 PM
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 04, 2015, 11:01:29 PM
Gravity Magick? Sold. How much can that be abused in terms of realistic science here? Can I compress matter to the point of creating a mmicro singularity kind of thing? Or am I pretty much at the "levitation and making it hard to move" level?

When in doubt, the rule of thumb is: Real world, imaginary power source. A micro singularity would take a lot of power and precision, but is totally doable. E=MC2 in this universe as much as any other, so creating gravity from nothing might be too costly, but I'm gonna say that, with care and difficulty, it'll be possible to focus or reflect gravity.
Something Yahtzee said with regards to world/universe creation is that a succesful world/universe only breaks one rule of reality. :P So if you were so inclined, you could change it so that E = M/C2 :P

On the subject of Gavity Magic, here is a character that you might be curious of Jayne ;) The party trick sounds like something you'd do at least XD

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 04, 2015, 11:44:02 PM
I should add: I AM NOT A PHYSICS MAJOR. Nor a Physics Minor. Nor a physics Miner. And, as of my last birthday, I am not physically a minor. I don't know how gravity works particularly well, besides "Massive things attract other things to them". I might not be a good judge of how difficult certain spells or abilities might be. Therefore, most of my calls will be for game balance rather than accuracy, since I couldn't get accuracy if I tried.
I agree that you're not even a Physics Captain :P
I took Physicts up to A-level. I could try and find a couple equations that might be helpful if you would like :3
Physics stuff
Gravity in short is the attractive force between two (or more) bodies.
Its force is worked out as the mass of the objects multiplied together, multiplied by a constant number, and all that divided by the distance between the objects squared.

Mabbz

Here's my contribution: if you create a gravity well in front of you and an antigravity source behind you, you should be able to form a warp bubble. End result: super speed. Probably not FTL though, unless you put a lot of power into it.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Mabbz on May 05, 2015, 06:48:22 AM
Here's my contribution: if you create a gravity well in front of you and an antigravity source behind you, you should be able to form a warp bubble. End result: super speed. Probably not FTL though, unless you put a lot of power into it.
That... Sounds like it would kill you.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

In theory, a person with sufficient command over gravity is going to be a game breaker.

Consider things like increased mass punches. Getting hit by something with the mass of a small planet behind it. You don't even need strength, you just need to know where to apply the opposing forces so that you don't get torn apart yourself. Compressing something into highly energetic plasma and vapourising someone with it.

Honestly, why would you need to be anything else?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

Three reasons come to mind: Energy cost, difficulty, and backfire.

Even without creating mass or expending energy to create gravity from nothing, it'll still take a lot o' juice to power high gravity spells.

Difficulty is kind of a no-brainer. As with time manipulation, something that requires extreme precision will require tailored staffs or tomes or what-have-you. Even then, precise control would take a lot of effort.

Aaaand backfire. Imagine getting something like an increased mass punch wrong. Imploding your own hand. Or trying to focus some gravity to smoosh a guy with 100 Gs. If you fail badly, best case scenario the spell just disappates or refocuses so the surrounding area is just left strange gravity fluctuations. Worst case scenario, you accidentally smoosh yourself.

It's still really badass and powerful, but it's gonna be high-risk high-reward

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, so i'm going to go with gravity mage, because high risk reward is very much my style. So what are the best suggested stats here?

Skills and talents in the gravity magick area. High mind and probably quite a good toughness will be needed. Spirit Armour might be advisable, just to protect my from too much of my own fallout.

Waaaghpower

To precede everything I'm about to say, a couple ground rules:
1, This is how I would do things. Most of what I'm about to say is a recommendation. Feel free to throw it out the window.
2, I'm still not an expert on gravitational forces, even with Narric's assistance. This is based mainly off of an extremely limited scientific knowledge and a lot of imagination as to how things would run in a magic fictional universe. If you have a compelling argument that something I'm saying is dumb, feel free to lay it out and things could change.

With that being said...

High Mind is definitely going to be a must for what you're doing, but depending on the complexity of spells versus the science, Intelligence might be more important than a high Physique. (I assume you meant 'Physique' when you said 'Toughness'.) While you don't need a high Intelligence to, say, crush a bunch of mass together or do any kind of magic, (it's all based off of what you imagine and picture in your mind,) you do need a high intelligence to calculate specific gravitational effects. If you're going to try and do pin-point precision type stuff involving the reflection of a lot of gravity or the adjustment of mass or matter to redirect forces, it's going to take a lot of math. It's like rocket science: Any idiot can dump a bunch of jet fuel into a vat, strap some stuff to the top, and set it on fire. Sometimes, that might even have the effect you want if you're trying to just cause a great big fire. But you need math to make the rocket go anyplace.

High Physique and/or Spirit armor, on the other hand, I'm not sure how much it would protect you from your own spells. The Physique I can see helping with increased G-forces and the like, but since Spirit armor is incredibly heavy as-is, and only increases your lift capacity by a flat rate, the increasing weight of the armor means that an increased gravitation force would crush you to death. Think about it this way:
No matter what happens, for rules simplicity as well as other things, your own body has no carry weight. G Forces might kill you for other reasons, but you'll never be able to crush your own body to death.
Spirit Armor gives you an enhanced carry weight, usually somewhere in the 60-80 range, but also weighs something in the 50-60 range as well.
Double gravity, and your own body will be fine, if encumbered, weakened, and slower. However, the Spirit armor will now weigh so much that it can't lift its own weight.
Triple gravity, and while your own body might start having issues getting blood to your head and you'll have trouble breathing, you'll be just fine. The Spirit armor will start to crush itself under its weight.
Fighter Pilots can usually survive under 10 Gs for high-intensity maneuvers over short times, when wearing flight suits and prepared for it. (https://what-if.xkcd.com/116/) At 10 Gs, you'll be able to live. Your Spirit armor, meanwhile, will implode in on itself and take you with it.

So, long story short, whatever you go with Agility will probably be your dump stat.

Instead of Spirit armor, might I recommend some kind of runic Flight Suit equivalent to help deal with increased G forces, pressure changes, and the like? Engraved runes would even make it into an enchantable set of clothes, a sort of wearable wand if you will, that could turn it into a sturdy suit of armor as long as you charge it up. (And, when charged, it would also help deal with your own gravitational magic.)

I'd also recommend carrying several magical implements, probably of the 'Large staff' variety. (Though, depending on the power requirements, low-energy high-difficulty spells could instead have wands made for them.)

As for Skills and Talents, (again, this depends on what you're going for, be it throwing around force to crush things with gravity or precisely focusing it to create specific effects,) a Talent in practical Physics might be good. Then, pick out one or two spells that you reeeaally like and make Talents for them, too. (Gravity magic is complicated enough that you need specific talents for each spell. Simpler stuff like 'Fire' or just 'Smashy energy bits' are a lot looser to control.) For spells that you kinda like, make those into Skills. I'd use at least one Talent and a few Skills for non-gravity-magic related abilities, shoring up weak points or just adding depth to your character as well.

I might also grant you an Ability if it's required to make something specific that you want work, but it's sounding like all this can be handled with the base mechanics right now.

As a side-note, having a gravitation sorcerer on the team is going to work extremely well with the planned plot.

Narric

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, so I have something going now.

Purely from a mechanical point of view, how do wands work? Do I need to actually draw the wand, hold it, swish and flick and then put it away?

Because for the look of the thing I was thinking more of having the wands mounted on my characters forearms in some kind of gauntlet, and he would channel magic into them as needed to perform the associated spell.

I am thinking that Gravity magic is something that is going to be quite internally ritualised, so the ability to move your hands freely to help "shape" the forces, while not needed as such, is something that my character has become accustomed to, meaning that if he can't use his hands, he is going to have a harder time focussing his power. This is mainly to offset how much of a DPS monster he is going to be.

The staff he would hold normally for his bigger spells, because they will take time to get going and to pull off, but the results would be spectacular.

Waaaghpower

No wand motion is needed unless you want to.
On the other hand, because the spell is shaped by your thoughts, a physical movement often helps to clarify what you're doing. (If you're creating a magic ethereal hand, it's a lot easier to picture it's movement by just moving your own hand.) So, your internal ritualizations fit well within the setting and will work just fine, is what I'm saying.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, here we go:

Franklin Hall
Male

Physique: 30
Mind:  45
Intelligence:  45
Agility: 20

HP: 100
Energy: 100
Sanity: 100

Career: Gravitation Sorcerer

Talents: Applied Physics
   Quantum Mechanics
   Graviton Storm
      Franklin creates a gravitational sheath around a  swarm of microsingularities and then unleashes it on a target, flesh, concretes, steel, nothing can stand up to this barrage for more than a few seconds. However the taxing on Franklins power is great, and he will need to rest not long after using it.
   Big Bang Attack
      Franklin draws all surrounding matter to a point, compressing it further and further until a fusion reaction is initiated. Then the gravity field keeping it together is removed. Along with almost everything within a few hundred yards. Like Graviton Storm, this is very very draining and cannot be used very often.

Skills:   Sense disturbance
      Franklin can feel when something is warping gravity, big or small. Bigger thing are easier to detect though.
   Redirect Gravity
      Short bursts of flight, deflecting incoming fire, or even cold blooded torture, gravity, when harnessed, can be used for all kinds of things.
   Concussive blast
      A simple show of power, a gravity wave washed over an area, or a single target and throws them around with great force.
   Sphere of Safety
      A graviton orb surrounds Franklin, impenetrable to all but the most powerful of attack. Thanks to Franklins ability to track objects through their gravitational footprint, this orb only needs to be raised for the split second it takes to deflect the object.
    Balance
      When you can make gravity support you, you can walk on any ledge or rope no matter how narrow or precarious. Doing this for so long has given Franklin an extremely good sense of balance and spatial awareness even without the use of his powers.
   Intimidation.
      Franklin never claimed to be a good man, and while he doesn't see the point in going out of his way to hurt people, they are easy frightened by a man who can turn them inside out with a thought.
        Magickal Trap.
                With a bit of time and effort, Franklin can rig an implosion trap, invisible to anyone who doesn't know how to spot it. Once they set foot in it, unbalancing the complex gravitational forces, the trap springs, compressing the unfortunate victim to a lump about 3 inches across.
        Torture.
                Self explainitory. Sometime you just need the answers. Now.
        Wizards Reputation.
                Franklin has spent years building up a reputation, and if he has to play on it to get something done without causing any harm, he will. It makes far more sense for people to fear you that to walk all over you.

Equipment:
   Gravity Staff (Runes for Graviton Storm and Big Bang Attack).
      The most potent source of Franklins power, his most powerful spells require the use of this lightweight metal staff. The fact that it is 5 and a half feel of metal also make it quite useful for hitting things.
   Gravity Wands.
      Redirecting Gravity, Concussive Blast, Generic Gravity.

Runic Armour:
      The runes in this custom made suit allow for a degree of protection from incoming fire, but what they are mainly for is protecting Franklin against the effects of his own gravity magicks. These runs also focus his Sphere of Safety and focus his gravitational awareness of moving objects.

Bio:

Franklin Hill is a wanderer, a sellstaff of sorts. He has, over many years, garnered a reputation of being frighteningly efficient and at times, just plain frightening. His mastery of Gravitational magick has made him a man in high demand, and he can usually name his price for his services. Sometimes however, he doesn't want money, and the thrill of the job is all he needs.

He has little desire to harm those that are not part of his contract, but understands that sometimes, the fastest way is far from the nicest and rarely hesitates to do what needs to be done. His power is immense, and as such and learned to keep his emotions in check lest he lash out in a moment of rage. Provoking him is hard, and you may wish you hadn't tried if you are successful.

Beyond this, Franklin is generally considered true to his word, no matter the consequences to himself or others. If he is tasked with something, he will see it through.

Narric

Damn beardy players going for the highest DPS :P

WP, have you updated my character? I have been trying to think of a word that encompasses Persuasion and Charisma, but none are forecoming :P Could we simply go with "Shokeeper" as thats kinda what a fantasy shopkeeper would be good at anyway.

Also, I just realised my character in a game sense used to be an NPC :P Makes sense he has fewer combat related Skills and talents :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I find that I tend to be able to play best with glass cannons. Franklin really can't take that much of a hit if his magicks fail him and his rune suit can't absorb much, he is going to suffer.

I am unsure how some of his passive abilities are going to work though, if they can be passive at all. Like his ability to sense movement through gravitational disturbance. In my mind, it is something he can pretty much just do. Although, in game, i suspect he will have to put some real power into it to get any kind of detail out of it.

As a character in game, you should use him as defense and ultimate offense. His ability to redirect gravity can protect the party too, but if you don't tell him you want his help, he will assume that you have it covered and just do his own thing. He is not much of a team player when left to his own devices, but give him a task and he will see it through. Get him to protect you all if needs be, or have him remove that fortified structure while you guys provide covering fire.

Waaaghpower

Narric: I'll update it soon, but in lieue (Luau? Loo?) of a talent, how about an ability? Something like:
'Winning Personality': Non-hostile NPCs can't help but take a shining to you. Societal actions come easy, and people are predisposed towards liking you.

Or somethin'. I dunno.

The Man They Call Jayne:
I'm a dummy, I just realized that your combined stats are 10 higher than they should be. It's a combined total of 140, not 150.
(And, just so you know, your staff is going to be made out of Silver. Silver and gold are some of the only metals which react well to Spirit.)

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 06, 2015, 05:53:05 PM
Narric: I'll update it soon, but in lieue (Luau? Loo?) of a talent, how about an ability? Something like:
'Winning Personality': Non-hostile NPCs can't help but take a shining to you. Societal actions come easy, and people are predisposed towards liking you.
Trading one talent for an ability like that seems fair enough :3