News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 25, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 07, 2015, 01:05:02 AM
Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on May 07, 2015, 12:57:35 AM
Update made. Added some more abilities, clarified that the rune is on the scope etc and what is intended by some of the abilities.

A pistol would be good. Would it need to be instead of a sword though? Always loved the idea of pistol and sword combo in close quarters. :P
No, a sword/pistol combo is just fine. I'll add one to your character.
Excellent. :) Added the phase rounds too, Jayne pointed out I'd missed those off myself. :P

Also, just a quick one, is this a shot and powder setting like Sharpe, The Patriot etc, or is it more advanced rifles like Alan Quartermaine's weapon in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen etc? I only ask because if it's the latter it's less likely that rounds cast for the rifle would fit the pistol and vice versa, though admittedly not impossible either way.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

For your skills, Fair Trader is really something you would just need to roleplay, (Should I just replace it with Pistol use for now?) and Intimidating presence could probably just be Inimidate. (Skills are active things you do, not passive things that happen when you're around.)

I can add pain resistance and intimidation as abilities, but I don't want to go too heavy on abilities right away and I already added one to your character that I thought would be useful for you. (It's with your character on the main page.)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Waaaghpower

And by the way, since you can cast your own rounds, it's possible to cast rounds for a situation as needed. So while you carry generic rounds, you could always specially make the ones you need.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 07, 2015, 01:13:42 AM
For your skills, Fair Trader is really something you would just need to roleplay, (Should I just replace it with Pistol use for now?) and Intimidating presence could probably just be Inimidate. (Skills are active things you do, not passive things that happen when you're around.)

I can add pain resistance and intimidation as abilities, but I don't want to go too heavy on abilities right away and I already added one to your character that I thought would be useful for you. (It's with your character on the main page.)
Ah right, fair dos, that's my bad. I'll see if I can come up with some more appropriate skills then. I can always add them in at an appropriate point in game if needs be I guess.

Ooh. I like that ability. That's awesome. :D So, effectively, I can shoot someone 1200 feet away at no penalty. That's almost half a kilometre.

PS: Aww. We lost the devil smiley. :(

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

I had actually been referring to your Ability, not the gun's, but okay. ;)

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 07, 2015, 01:42:00 AM
Oh I spotted that too, which is awesome. :D I just got a bit sidetracked by the range of the gun given the steampunk setting. :P

Oh, with regards to the scope btw, would the 1 energy last for an hour and function like an on/off switch if I need a closer shot, or would it be a case of if I deactivate the ability I need to pay to reactivate even if there would have been charge left? Not a massive energy burn I know, but useful to clarify. :)

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on May 07, 2015, 01:49:00 AM
Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 07, 2015, 01:42:00 AM
Oh I spotted that too, which is awesome. :D I just got a bit sidetracked by the range of the gun given the steampunk setting. :P

Oh, with regards to the scope btw, would the 1 energy last for an hour and function like an on/off switch if I need a closer shot, or would it be a case of if I deactivate the ability I need to pay to reactivate even if there would have been charge left? Not a massive energy burn I know, but useful to clarify. :)
Turning it on gives you variable zoom control, basically. So you can zoom out all the way to the mere 3x, or in to the 20x as will. You'll still be burning energy at a rate of 1/hour even if you don't use it for the whole hour, but you'll never use more than 1/hour.

The Man They Call Jayne

You realise that that rifle has a maximum view range of 11.36 MILES right? On an earth size planet that is pretty much the horizon at ground level.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 07, 2015, 01:59:24 AM
You realise that that rifle has a maximum view range of 11.36 MILES right? On an earth size planet that is pretty much the horizon at ground level.
How so? A 20x optical zoom isn't going to let you see things twelve miles away. Last I checked, I can't clearly see things half a mile away, and definitely not clear enough to accurately hit them with a rifle (even if I could shoot with a rifle accurately as is.)

Just for comparison, here's a 20x optical zoom in real life:

The Man They Call Jayne

" The range of this weapon often exceeds the firer's accuracy. It's range can increase up to 3000 Feet, however, for every 600 foot increase in range, the attack takes a -10 to hit. (Firing at maximum range reduces the 'To-hit' chance by 40.)
Rune - Farsight. The scope on this weapon allows the user's effective vision range to be tripled. When magically charged, (Costing 1 Energy/Hour,) however, the effective vision range is increased up to twentyfold"

I we assume that the rifle can see the 3000 feet, certainly not impossible with a magical scope, and then can be magically charged to see 20 times that far, that is 60'000 feet. 11.36 miles near enough.

You said that the effective visual range was increased, not the level of magnification.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 07, 2015, 02:12:30 AM
" The range of this weapon often exceeds the firer's accuracy. It's range can increase up to 3000 Feet, however, for every 600 foot increase in range, the attack takes a -10 to hit. (Firing at maximum range reduces the 'To-hit' chance by 40.)
Rune - Farsight. The scope on this weapon allows the user's effective vision range to be tripled. When magically charged, (Costing 1 Energy/Hour,) however, the effective vision range is increased up to twentyfold"

I we assume that the rifle can see the 3000 feet, certainly not impossible with a magical scope, and then can be magically charged to see 20 times that far, that is 60'000 feet. 11.36 miles near enough.

You said that the effective visual range was increased, not the level of magnification.

The range of the weapon is not tied to how far the guy firing the gun can see. The user's effective vision range is based off of how far the user can see. The weapon's range is tied to how far away the weapon can fire. The two stats are not tied to one another in any way.

When I said 'The range of the weapon often exceeds the firer's accuracy,' I was pointing out that without a scope, the gun would actually have a longer range than the firer would be able to use, since the person firing the gun wouldn't be able to see that far.

While I haven't added it to Mechanics yet, I was thinking that the average person would be able to see somewhere around 500 or 750 feet accurately for the purposes of firing weapons and identifying targets. (You might be able to see motion further away or identify shapes, but not specific details.)

The Man They Call Jayne

Ahh. I see. My misunderstanding. Although given that it is a magical scope, not entirely impossible for it to be able to show you things that would be way outside visual range, even if you couldn't shoot them.

Waaaghpower

You'll still be able to see things up to 10,000 or 15,000 feet away. (Haven't decided yet.) That's pretty dang far.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

QuoteTurning it on gives you variable zoom control, basically. So you can zoom out all the way to the mere 3x, or in to the 20x as will. You'll still be burning energy at a rate of 1/hour even if you don't use it for the whole hour, but you'll never use more than 1/hour.
Fair enough, makes sense. :)

Oh, I've missed off my "shot guiding" talent as I'm not sure how that would work/how practical it is. The basic idea I had was using magic to make sure the shot stays on target. Countering some of the wind factor, maybe a slight swerve to account for movement a la Xavier to increase accuracy over long range, wouldn't really have much use on short range though

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

You'll need a magical tool of some kind to use the spell, but I believe you still have a skill available for it.