News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 25, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I see the thread title has changed. How soon until we get this ball rolling? :3

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 07, 2015, 05:03:22 PM
You'll need a magical tool of some kind to use the spell, but I believe you still have a skill available for it.
Awesome. I was a bit worried it might be making my character's shooting ability a bit much, but if it's ok I'll put that in there. :)
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

Narric:
Soon.

Scout Sergeant: Just lemme know what you want your magic tool to look like.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Could the spell be somehow woven into the scope so that I have to be looking down the scope for it to work sort of enchanting the crosshairs or something? Or would that be too much for a small item like a scope to have?

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on May 07, 2015, 10:00:33 PM
Could the spell be somehow woven into the scope so that I have to be looking down the scope for it to work sort of enchanting the crosshairs or something? Or would that be too much for a small item like a scope to have?
It could, but doubling down would weaken both enchantments a bit. Two implements for two tasks are more effective, but one for two tasks takes up less space.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Hmmm...fair point. Not sure how else to implement it then really. Was thinking binoculars or something (would need the zoom due to the range) but taking the shot then repositioning to use the second device before the bullet hits would we tricky. As has been pointed out, the barrel isn't really practical either. May have to leave it out for now.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Have it bound to the trigger. It is an area you will have contact with, it won't get hot and is easy to get to.

You sight, you pull the trigger and if you HOLD the trigger in, you can add power to the enchantment to guide the shot.

Bear in mind that you are going to get MAYBE 2-3 seconds, even at very long range before the bullet hits, so at close range, this is all but useless.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 07, 2015, 10:37:00 PM
Have it bound to the trigger. It is an area you will have contact with, it won't get hot and is easy to get to.

You sight, you pull the trigger and if you HOLD the trigger in, you can add power to the enchantment to guide the shot.

Bear in mind that you are going to get MAYBE 2-3 seconds, even at very long range before the bullet hits, so at close range, this is all but useless.
Trigger could work. After all, firing would be the round's action anyway so it's not time consuming, and it means I don't need to try changing to another tool before the bullet hits his mark.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on May 07, 2015, 10:54:42 PM
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 07, 2015, 10:37:00 PM

Trigger could work. After all, firing would be the round's action anyway so it's not time consuming, and it means I don't need to try changing to another tool before the bullet hits his mark.
I know that mechanis works in games. Tron 2.0 uses it for the PC's base weapon, the disc. More ballistic style weapons also had the ability with the right upgrades if memory serves.

Waaaghpower

I added the trigger runes.

I'm also about started the main roleplay thread. There are a few things to take care of for character creation, but they're minor. Just take a look over your character sheet and make sure everything looks good before you post. Also, all specific stats for gear are subject to a little tweaking if it turns out to be way to powerful or underpowered, but I'll try to avoid god-modding your gear.

Oh, also! Nobody listed their age. While it's not exactly necessary, if you could at least say approximately how old you look to give a better sense of appearance that'd be great. (For example, I assume Simo is in his mid-twenties and is therefore pretty young, since that's where his bio cuts off, but I'm not sure.)

Scout Sergeant McColl, you need 2 more Skills.

The Man They Call Jayne, you need 1 more Skill. (Also, is it alright if I call you 'Grey'?)

Everyone else looks pretty good.

Also, just gonna throw this out there: Please don't abuse meta-knowledge. I know it's kinda hard to pretend you don't know stuff that you really know, but if you only know it from the OOC chat or character sheets or whatever, your character doesn't know it. (The exception to this is, obviously, the Lore sections. Everything there is common knowledge, and you'd all reasonably know it.)

The Man They Call Jayne

Grey in what way?

Franklin has experience, he is no spring chicken. He is probably in his mid 40's, we'll go with 43. He has been around and seen enough to become jaded by enthusiasm and idealism and understands that in the long run, little will change.

Beyond that, everything seems fine.

Skill: Gravitational Lensing. Bending gravity in the right place, in the right way, can allow Franklin to see around corners, of course, anyone looking in the right direction can also see right back.

Just a point on role play though, are very basic utility spells going to have to rolled for? Or is nothing considered "so simple you can do it without thinking."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Yeah, my character's around 27, so old enough to be considered an experienced soldier, but not old. :)

2 skills? Trap making possibly, and explosives? After all, a sniper does love his claymores. ;)

I really need to get the devil smiley back. The wink smiley's trying, but it's just not the same. :P

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 08, 2015, 01:15:07 AM
Grey in what way?

Franklin has experience, he is no spring chicken. He is probably in his mid 40's, we'll go with 43. He has been around and seen enough to become jaded by enthusiasm and idealism and understands that in the long run, little will change.

Beyond that, everything seems fine.

Just a point on role play though, are very basic utility spells going to have to rolled for? Or is nothing considered "so simple you can do it without thinking."
Goodman Grey. He's a character from the Dresden files whose personality seems quite similar to the one you described. Never mind...

As for basic utility spells, you still need to have a magic tool, focus, wand, or what have you to cast even the simplest of spells. However, assuming you have one and have plenty of time to prep and cast the spell, an autopass can be assumed for simple spells which couldn't cause anything bad even if you critically failed. (Starting a fire with no time constraint is about the riskiest thing I'd say would be an 'autopass.')

Also, just a reminder: Sorcerers can get pretty old. 43 is certainly old enough to have experience and a good reputation, but even those inexperienced or bad at healing magic can get to 100 and still be in ship-shape. I don't wanna be patronizing, it's possible you already knew that, just wanted to be sure you knew and everything. Call me the lore police or somethin', I dunno.  C:-)

The Man They Call Jayne

I have never read them, but I do want to. My name comes from the Marvel villain Franklin Hall. Known as Graviton.

I suppose in that case, 83 isn't unreasonable. Plenty of time to build up a word of mouth reputation and know how to play off it.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 08, 2015, 01:31:14 AM
I have never read them, but I do want to. My name comes from the Marvel villain Franklin Hall. Known as Graviton.

They're quite good. Not all of them are *great*, but I don't regret reading any of them and the most recent (Skin Game) is just freaking amazing. I'd put it in my top 20 books. Maaaaybe even top 10.