News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Well I am all for shooting them properly, might kill a Crisis or two anyway.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I had just fixed up this heretical contraption, I do not approve of you lot allowing it to have holes shot through it!!

Important note, what weapons are the Piranhas toting?
Burst Cannons are more likely to give us grief due to their range, whilst Fusion Blaster increases our risk of being shot but allows us to shot back more efficiently.

Same goes for the crisis suits.

I'm assuming that as we were shot down so effectively, that its mainly High AP weaponry they're fielding currently?

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on March 29, 2016, 03:53:15 PM
I had just fixed up this heretical contraption, I do not approve of you lot allowing it to have holes shot through it!!

Important note, what weapons are the Piranhas toting?
Burst Cannons are more likely to give us grief due to their range, whilst Fusion Blaster increases our risk of being shot but allows us to shot back more efficiently.

Same goes for the crisis suits.

I'm assuming that as we were shot down so effectively, that its mainly High AP weaponry they're fielding currently?
None of the Tau forces are in sight yet, so you have a few minutes prep time. You haven't been shot down, so I don't have a clue what you mean by that.

The Pirhanas will reach you first, and will have two burst cannons and one fusion blaster.

If you slow down too much while fighting them, then more Tau will start turning up. As long as you move 12" per turn, only the pirhanas will be able to catch you. You have a 24" headstart on the devilfishes, so if you are stationary for 2 turns they will arrive (or if you move 6" for 4 turns, or some combination of the above). The hammerhead and crisis suits will arrive 6" after the devilfishes. Does that make sense?

Wargamer

So my first suggestion is we fly backwards - best armour toward the enemy!

If the Piranhas get close we can try to board maybe?
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Quote from: Wargamer on March 29, 2016, 05:16:36 PM
So my first suggestion is we fly backwards - best armour toward the enemy!

If the Piranhas get close we can try to board maybe?
I'm imposing a rule. You can only fly 6" per turn if you're going backwards.

I'm gonna say no to boarding, since they'll be moving too fast. You can assault them, but you'll have to damage them as normal.

Narric

So our options are?

- Floor it whilst Wexler makes noise that may not even hit anything.
- Slow down and let Wexler shred some armour, but have more on our shortening tail.
- slow even more, dismounted, and try and dispatch the Piranhas quickly before the Crisis suits and Hammerhead get into weapons range.

Does that sound about right?

Personally I'd choose the option to floor it.

We could always try to Rammed or Tank Shock the Tau?

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on March 29, 2016, 11:58:42 PM
So our options are?

- Floor it whilst Wexler makes noise that may not even hit anything.
- Slow down and let Wexler shred some armour, but have more on our shortening tail.
- slow even more, dismounted, and try and dispatch the Piranhas quickly before the Crisis suits and Hammerhead get into weapons range.

Does that sound about right?

Personally I'd choose the option to floor it.
Yep, that sounds right. Bear in mind that if you go in reverse while you fight the Pirhana, they'll have a lot of difficulty taking down a devilfish (only the fusion blaster can harm the front armour). And you'll have 4 turns of reversing to disable them before anyone else arrives, and Wexler's heavy bolter has rending (meaning he can penetrate their front armour).

Assuming you go full speed while they're out of range, that makes 4 turns of normal shooting plus 2 turns of snap firing. If you can immobilise or destroy the Pirhana with that, then you will never see any of the other Tau. Also, stunning the Pirhana or forcing them to make a detour could buy you some time. Also, don't half of us have krak grenades? If you're willing to risk opening the hatches, I'll let you throw them. I'm amazed no one's made the Serenity reference yet.

Quote from: Narric on March 29, 2016, 11:58:42 PM
We could always try to Ram or Tank Shock the Tau?
If you reverse, then the burst cannons will need to get in your side arc, making ramming them easier.

Narric

Quote from: Wargamer on March 30, 2016, 03:53:22 PM
"Get low!" McTavish yelled suddenly. "Kick up some dirt! Seer, I need your augments! And grenades! Get every grenade we've Got!"
As he began lashing explosives together he added, "we use dust kicked up to cover us dropping bombs, and if we can time the fuses we can blow the blue bastards apart! If all else fails it might persuade them to stay back, and we've got a range advantage!"
He paused, gripping a bundle of grenades held together with Bakka issue bonding tape. "If anyone has a problem with this, nows the time to speak up."

Is the anything in the rules to allow me/Hertius to figure out the best way to time the 'nades so they're more likely to damage the piranhas? Would that be some sort of Leadership test, or Initiative?

Though aside from opening the rear hatch, or trying to throw them out the side hatches, how else are we going to get the 'nades at the piranha?

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on March 30, 2016, 04:17:58 PM
Is the anything in the rules to allow me/Hertius to figure out the best way to time the 'nades so they're more likely to damage the piranhas? Would that be some sort of Leadership test, or Initiative?
Assuming you're including at least one melta bomb, I imagine melta bombs can be set to anywhere up to 2 minutes, and they should be able to detonate the rest of the cluster. Hitting will be based on the Bs of whoever sets the timer and throws them. I'll have to figure out what kind of rules to give this bomb at some point, but I'll most likely give some form of bonus since you have a techpriest helping to construct the device.

Quote from: Narric on March 30, 2016, 04:17:58 PM
Though aside from opening the rear hatch, or trying to throw them out the side hatches, how else are we going to get the 'nades at the piranha?
You could stick them on the roof and have Wexler throw them  :-\

Wargamer

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Quote from: Wargamer on March 30, 2016, 07:05:27 PM
My plan was to roll them out of a hatch like a mine.
Considering the maneuvrability of the Piranhas, I think it unlikely they wouldn't try to avoid the explosives :( If we could have Wexler distract them with some bolter fire so they're looking up they might miss what we're doing at the rear hatch, but that may only work once, possible a second time if the Dice Gods are in our favour.(praise D'Sixius, D'Twelith, and D'Too'Hwenty)

Wargamer

Well it'll give us one turn when we can use the bombs and the heavy bolter. After that, we can change strategy as needed.

Narric

In the potential event that the fish might 'splode, should we all opt to use a Narrative point to save our hides? Unless people want me to try Blessing the craft for the Omnisiah, but I think that would be pushing things a little for a Techpriest :P

Might have to if we get an Immobilised, but for that turn you could all shoot to your hearts content :P

Mabbz

Right, final check that I have the plan down right before I write this up. I did some rolling to determine how powerful the bomb would be, and thanks to Hertius' techno-rolls, it's S8 AP2, small blast, ordnance. I'm treating it as a normal blast weapon with a 12" range that can only be fired from the rear hatch (using McTavish's Bs of 4). However, in the turn you use it, the devilfish counts as open topped.

Here's how I picture the actions:

1) two turns of snap firing the heavy bolter at the fusion pirhana (since it's the most dangerous)
2) drop "da bomb" if anyone gets behind (manoeuvering to ensure that they do)
3) survive a turn of return fire
4) I'll give you a chance to react to the situation, but probably spin into reverse and try to gun them down with the heavy bolter a bit more.

Also, I'll let Hertius try to repair hull points during the battle, but only to a max of 2 HP (the amount you are currently on) and only of a 6 as he's in an unfamiliar moving vehicle.

Let me know quickly whether or not there are any modifications to make to that plan, because I will be writing this up tomorrow morning at the latest.

Wargamer

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping Nuffle is with Jayne on the snap fire rolls!