News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

Here's a quick breakdown of how I rolled for McTavish's sick prisoner routine.

1) Guard takes leadership test. A pass has him wait for backup, a fail has him enter alone, a double six has him enter alone without telling anyone. He failed, but not on a double six.
2) McTavish gets his two attacks (no charge bonuses or two CCW). Despite me giving him re-rolls for sheer audacity, he fails to kill the Tau.
3) The Tau attacks back, and also fails.

You have two rounds of combat before more guards arrive. Any clever ideas, or do you just want me to resolve them normally? Also, are you wanting to spend any narrative points on this (none were needed for the first round, since I gave you re-rolls anyway since you surprised him)

Jayne, if you are reading this, please let me know if you're still in. Everyone else, until Jayne turns up Wexler is freely controllable by anyone for non combat situations, I'll control him in any fights. He has got his equipment back by the way.

Wargamer

I'm going to keep fighting for now. Not much else I can do within the 40k mechanics :-P
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Quote from: Wargamer on June 23, 2016, 10:31:41 PM
I'm going to keep fighting for now. Not much else I can do within the 40k mechanics :-P
Fair enough. Bear in mind you won't get any more re-rolls unless you spend Narrative Points though. I'll post the rest of the fight tomorrow.

Mabbz

Quote from: Mabbz on June 23, 2016, 10:39:35 PM
I'll post the rest of the fight tomorrow.
One day I'm going to stop trying to give time estimates on my posts. I never stick to them  :P

Anyway, unless McTavish has something to say my next post will be the raid. Wargy, let me know if you decide not to post anything.

Narric

Wargamer

Let's see how the raid goes. My luck doesn't seem to be holding right now.  :P

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Yeah, Tau carapace armour seems to be your worst enemy right now. I've started writing up part one of the raid, should be up in an hour or so.

Also, more for my own amusement than anything else, here's a quick rundown of my headcanon regarding the Tau's attitude towards enemies.

Fire Caste tends to be fairly aggressive, especially in lower ranks. They're also short and to the point, leaving the diplomacy for the water caste. Higher ranks vary a bit; some make their own code of honour and enjoy warfare for it's honour and challenge, some only get more aggressive and xenophobic (Brightsword). Most follow the standard Tau doctrine of living for the furtherance of the Greater Good. They're usually pretty professional, don't have much ego and won't waste time on things they view as lost causes (like interrogating McTavish)

Water Caste on the other hand tend to appear very friendly, but they're actually often almost sociopathic. Trained from infancy in the art of linguistics, if you talk to a water caste member then they will leave the discussion with more information than you. They are trained liars, often skilled in psychology, and very thorough in fact checking (Por'vre checked every one of McTavish's aliases, including Guilliman). Standing orders for the guard state that captured water caste agents are to be transferred to high command immediately, or executed if that isn't possible. They just aren't worth interrogating most of the time, because they screw you over nearly every time.

Wargamer

Mabbz

Post up, Three Rounds Rapid time (for Narric at least). Narric, you never really gave any instructions for the five rebels with you. You can control them if you like, or order them around, or just leave them to me. I'll be controlling Maria and David, but otherwise I'll let youdo whatever with them for now. They have autoguns and one grenade launcher, and have basic guardsman stats.

Also, for the layout of the map I refer you to this post from last month (has it really been that long?)

Quote from: Mabbz on May 23, 2016, 10:11:00 AM
I give you your map:

Tau Base

You will have to enter from the left. Technically you could enter from a different point on the perimeter of the base, but this is the nearest edge to your target. The base is just too big to reasonably fit into one map.

The building on the far right is the prison (plus interrogation room)

The building on the bottom right is the medbay (plus medical storage)

The building at the end of the road is a garage/repair bay. The fuel tank outside is a medium explosive (see covert operations rulebook, but to summarise it could be a useful distraction)

The round thing at the top is the fusion generator powering the base. They have backups for some critical systems, but mostly everything is powered from there (including the laser fence).

The building near the laser fence is a barracks. Some Tau reinforcements will come from there is the alarm is raised

The other two buildings are mostly storage.

The Laser fences are impassable terrain (except for jump infantry and skimmers), but the fence posts can be destroyed (Toughness 7, Wounds 2, Armour Save 3+) which will deactivate the lasers coming from it.

Expect enemy reinforcements from all the board edges inside the base.

Mabbz

Post up. I'll accept actions from either of you for the surviving resistance fighters, but so far they could be doing better.

Mabbz

Apologies good sirs, my internet has been down for the last few days. I shall aim to get you an update tomorrow evening.

Mabbz

Post up. I decided to do two turns in one here, as not much happened on the first turn.

So, bad news, all the Tau are aware and heading straight for you, including a Hammerhead. Good news, you've killed a lot of the Tau in your area, and I decided that the gun received a dangerous repair before the battle (Maria didn't want to risk it unless it was necessary, in game turns the burst cannon has the gets hot rule). Oh, and Hertius hasn't been noticed yet.

So, Narric, how are you planning to rescue Frank? The only door is in the north wall, and there are a lot of Tau running past.

Wargamer, sorry your distraction failed. I did give a roll to see if it would work, but the dice weren't with you (to be fair, you would have had to be pretty lucky. Your distraction gave you a +2 to the control roll for the fireblade. Sadly, they already had a +6 to their roll due to Klaxon counters)

Wargamer

Didn't think it would work tbh. But hopefully once I'm sprung I can "acquire" some new toys and join the fun.

Narric

From this distance, what are the chances of throwing a grenade and blowing the Fireblade and his retinue up? :P If they're further than 8", could I still try to hit them with the scatter roll?

Mabbz

Quote from: Wargamer on July 22, 2016, 09:08:02 AM
Didn't think it would work tbh. But hopefully once I'm sprung I can "acquire" some new toys and join the fun.
If nothing else, Hertius has your gear and will give it to you on escaping.

Quote from: Narric on July 22, 2016, 12:01:27 PM
From this distance, what are the chances of throwing a grenade and blowing the Fireblade and his retinue up? :P If they're further than 8", could I still try to hit them with the scatter roll?
Well, you could try. A frag grenade could kill some of the retinue, but you'd have to be very luck to kill them all and the best you could do is injure the fireblade. Or you could try for a precision shot on the fireblade with a krak grenade for instant death, but then the retinue would be unharmed and angry.

Either way, you would then get attacked by a crisis suit and some fire warriors, possibly before you could break McTavish out. Perhaps a less direct approach would work better?