News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines (RP thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 23, 2016, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

Maria flicked through the pages. "Hmm... Here's something. Apparantly there was an unspecified incident on a security convoy taking POWs from the base. The prisoners escaped, and the Tau have asked the public for any information." She chuckled before reading the next bit out loud. "'Tau leadership declined to comment on whether this incident is related to the checkpoint car bombing last month. If they are connected, these events highlight embarrassing security concerns about our new government'. I never knew the Tau allowed a free press."

Wargamer

"I don't think they do," McTavish replied. "The Water Caste are slippery bastards. It could be a trick to lure out dissidents. Until we get a lay of the land, I suggest we keep to ourselves. Now, how to pass for normal..."

He gave it a few moments thought, then grinned at the Enginseer. "Got it! We just say you're a Heretek! You did something to get kicked out of the Cult - inventing, studying alien tech, whatever. Just as long as it's something that could be accepted in this Tau-topia. The rest of us can pass as your dumb muscle."
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

"That... could work," mused Hertius. "However, I'm doubtful I would get away with having a entourage of dumb muscle. The Tau would likely take the view that humans with bodyguards are mostly unnecessary, as we should be relying on their security forces for protection rather than our own. I believe I would be better off travelling alone to find a comm array, while you gather information elsewhere."

"You should have someone with you, just in case," said Maria, before remembering that she was out-ranked by everyone present and falling silent. Fortunately Sergeant Wexler spoke up, covering her breach of protocol.

"Note's right. She should go with you; you can pass her off as your apprentice or something. McTavish and me'll go find a bar and some intel."

It wasn't hard for the Sergeants to mingle with the workers and find a bar, once they'd sneaked past the security checkpoints. Wexler's heavy-bolter-in-a-box attracted a few curious looks, but after a quick word with the bartender of the Custodian's Arms he had it put in a storeroom, easily accessible if all hell broke loose.

The bar itself was a pretty standard affair. Mostly filled with human labourers, although there were a couple of better dressed individuals sat around a table in one corner. Another table had a large group loudly talking over each other, there were a few sour looking men drinking in sullen silence at the bar, and a there were a pair of women playing at the pool table.

Hertius and Maria walked in silence through the streets. He was looking around for anywhere with a big enough transmitter to let him contact the Guard, aided by his EM-scanners which let him home in on likely frequencies. Lots of people stared at him as he passed, but so far his audacity in walking openly in his usual red robes (Maria had found similar clothing, to fit the apprentice look) had led them to simply assume he had a right to be there. Unfortunately, a squad of Fire Warriors eventually spotted him and stopped him.

"Greetings human," began the Shas'ui, as his five comrades took position behind him. They hadn't brought their weapons to bear yet. "It is not often I see a member of your machine cult. Please may I see some identification?"

Narric

Hertius looked to Maria.
"Apprentice, if you would be so kind as to show the Shas'Ui my identification." Hertius was desperately trying to cobble together a plan to get out of this situation, and prayed to the Machine God that Maria had some experience in some sort of theatrics.

He was thankful when Maria begin riffling through all her most obvious pockets of her disguise, becoming almost theatrically distraught though thankfully not too unnaturally so. Eventually she stopped making a scene and stood before Hertius with her head bowed.
"I'm sorry Sir, but I seem to have misplaced it." Through metallic grills and valves, Hertius let out a mechanical and exagerated sigh. He turned to the Tau Officer.
"I had high hopes for this apprentice. Perhaps I should have her re read the Devilfish maintenance manual each Rotaa for a few Rotaa." Hertius rubbed his forehead in mock frustration. "Its a good thing we were on our way back to my workshop, which is not far from here. I hate to seem like that one citizen who thinks they're above the Tau'va, but we really must be on our way, so would it be possible you could let us pass just this time?"

Mabbz

"Do not worry citizens," replied the shas'ui, his true tone of voice masked by the translation software he was using. "You are not the first to have made such a mistake and shall not be the last. You understand though that we must be vigilant. As you claim your workshop is not far from here, I shall spare two shas'la to accompany you."

Narric

Hertius barely held back a scowl as two dutiful Fire Warriors broke off from the group and stood aside.

"Thank you kindly Shas'Ui, I hope this doesn't reduce the effectiveness of your patrol." Practically biting his tongue, so to speak, Hertius nearly commented on the recently escaped prisoners. Quickly thinking against saying anything that might arouse suspicion, Hertius bowed politely to the Fire Warriors who would continue their rounds, and beckoned forth the two that remained along with Maria. "You'll be back on your rounds quickly if you can match our pace. I do have some time sensitive tasks to perform, and we're now slightly behind schedule."

Wargamer

The Imperial Guard had very strict rules on gambling, and even stricter rules on cheating, which was why any Sergeant worth his rank learned how to cheat very early on. A few friendly tricks got McTavish a handful of coins and a few free drinks, and while he introduced the locals to the game of beer mats he listened closely to the conversations around him. He may not have been a model sergeant; in fact, he was a downright terrible sergeant in the eyes of many, but he was a born survivor. Survivors learned things, and as a man who had successfully infiltrated both a Governor's Palace and a Governor's Daughter, McTavish knew how to listen without being noticed.

There was also the problem of itchy feet - an itch that had nothing to do with the cheap boots he was wearing. He wanted to be back on the street. He wanted to find the rest of the team.

That and they'd left the Ogryn on his own. Emperor knows what he'd get up to!

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

Wexler kept an eye on the Techpriest and his sudden retinue, they two Shas'La would have to be dispatched. Their couldn't be anyone who might remember them as important, and while the Techpriest stood out, the risk should be minimised.

His Heavy Bolter being hidden away was no good, not to mention that it was loud enough to head from several blocks away. Pistol and knife it was then. Pulling his hood over his head, he walked out of the bar, hoping that the Techpriest had the good sense to lead the Shas'La somewhere quiet.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Wargamer

McTavish wasn't far behind.
"I have an idea to get the kids out of trouble," he whispered. "You land a good hit on me, take my pistol and coins then bolt. I'll give you time to scarper then draw them off. Hopefully those two will slip away and... Well, I'll catch up with you somehow."

He noted the grin on the Catachan's face. "this is a plan B, got that?"

Narric

Hertius, Maria and the two Shas'la were keeping a brisk pace. Until the Techpriest had a nagging at the back of his mind. He slowed down marginally, and turned towards the Fire Warriors.

"I don't remember patrols consisting of so many troops. I'm a bit behind on the happenings of the planet, so what is the occaision." Was his attempt at small talk, not sure if a mere shas'la would be equipped with translators.

His nagging mind had served him well, as he easily spotted the other two members of the group trying their best to be inconspicuous behind them. He stopped suddenly, with the Tau following behind him almost slamming into his servo-arm with the sudden change of pace. Hertius quickly took advantage of the moment to look squarely at the two guardsmen, and gestured as best he could in the short space of time that the situation was under control.

"Iur'tae'mont Gue'Vre!!" the shaken Fire Warrior exclaimed.
"My apologies, my leg seemed to seize up for a moment." Hertius said, barely giving the fire warriors a glance, watching for what his companions would do. "I'm sure I have some bottles of Ky'husa you can 'borrow' as a sign of my sincerest atonement." Hoping the Fire Warriors didn't notice his gazes direction, he returned to looking at them, and offering a bow to try to further punctuate his reparation.

The Man They Call Jayne

Wexler had an amused grin on his face, cracking McTavish about the face was certainly an appealing thought. Seemed like a good enough plan to him too, although he would have to be careful to avoid whatever security measures the Tau had. Still, a Catachan who couldn't hide from anything anywhere wasn't much of a Catachan.

"Brace yourself then ." He whispered to McTavish. And with that swung his fist with enough force to knock the Sergeant on his back. Quickly grabbing the money from his belt he started to run.

"And let that be a lesson to you!" he called over his shoulder as he ran past the two Shas'La, bowling one of them to the ground before he disappeared into a nearby alleyway.

Now, even if he couldn't hide, he had two pistols, a large knife, and a Catachan on his side. As far as he was concerned he outnumbered them one to two.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

The Shas'la that had kept his feet sprang back, taking a position that would let him cover his comrade with his carbine as well as keeping Wexler in sight. Hertius could hear him speaking, the sound muffled by his helmet as he hadn't activated his loudspeakers. Once the other Shas'la had got to his feet, the first relaxed his stance somewhat and turned to Hertius.

"Please wait here," he said as his colleague walked over to McTavish. "We need to investigate this event."

Mabbz

"Human," said the Shas'la upon reaching the sergeant. "Please explain what just happened. Who was that man?"

As he spoke, a third Fire Warrior jogged over to McTavish from back the way they had come from. He didn't speak, remaining content to let the other do the talking.

Wargamer

McTavish stayed down for the moment, rolling onto his back and taking in the surroundings. Three fire warriors was two more than he wanted to deal with.
"It hurts!" he moaned, clutching his face with one hand and his ribs with another. He made a point of groaning and grunting a lot, slurring his speech to draw out the process and play up a head injury. He just hoped the Enginseer and medic would recognise the theatrics for what they were.
"He wanted papers." he managed. "I think... I think he was in the bar. I can't remember. My head is..."
He tried to stand up, and deliberately went over sideways into the nearest Tau with another howl of pain. "I can't breathe! Help me!"

Narric

Hertius leaned towards Maria
"I suggest we get moving before the Fire Warriors notice or departure." He tugged at her arm, and began to move quickly in the direction of a communications toward he had stopped above the buildings, Maria close behind.