News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines (RP thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 23, 2016, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Wexler shouted down through the hatch to the cyborg.

"Hey, can't this thing fly? Properly fly I mean? I'm sure I've heard they can. If we can get this thing up in the air we can go as the crow flies."
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Wargamer

McTavish looked up at Wexler and laughed. "You really are a footslogger! The higher up we are, the further we fall when we get shot down! Close to the deck we can skim under sensors and avoid the worst of their AA fire!"
He turned to Maria, who seemed to be getting the hang of driving. "I'd offer to take over, but the only time I've flown a Devilfish I 'landed' it upside down in a minefield. Happy times..."

He shook the memory out of his head. "My vote would be to run for the city and go to ground, but I'm trained for that stuff. You lot aren't. If we're going back to the lines, we need to stay low and move fast!"
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Maria started tentatively tapping the controls at the sergeant's words, causing the devilfish to lift half a metre off the ground and gently spin around toward the south. "Wherever we're going, we should go soon. This thing won't hold up to a railgun round."

At that moment, the comms system activated, and a Tau voice spoke up. None of the people present knew what the voice was saying, but it's tone was questioning rather than angry. It seemed the Tau didn't yet know that they had taken the devilfish, but they would undoubtedly want a response...

The Man They Call Jayne

Wexler picked up the comm device mounted in the cupola.

"Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."

"What happened?"

"Uh, we had a slight engine malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

"We're sending a squad up."

"Uh, uh... negative, negative. We have an enemy situation here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large situation, very dangerous."

"Who is this? What's your operating number?"

"Uh..."

Wexler fired into the comm device with his Laspistol.

"Boring conversation anyway."

GUYS! We need to move now! We are about to have company!

Narric

Hertius just stared at the feet of the Catachan, his mind not able to comprehend the spontaneous behaviour. He brought his gauntlet hand to his face, and sighed metrically.

"Can we make note not to give Wexler access to any enemy communications in future?" Walking past the Ogryn, Hertius looked through the minor hull breach around the rear hatchway he had created earlier, hoping he could see the Tau forces approaching.

Mabbz

Shocked by the ridiculousness of the sergeant's actions, Maria took a moment to collect herself and act. Swiping a hand up one of the control pads, the devilfish shot forwards. The sudden lurch made Steve fall over, nearly crushing Hertius, but right now her biggest concern was the three medium sized blips that had doubled in speed towards them. Everything else they might be able to outrun, but the Pirhana were now closing fast.

Narric

"Get off me you continuously perplexed abhuman!" Hertius growled, using both augmented and servo arms to push against the bulkhead to heave the lumbering Ogryn off himself.

In that moment he had an idea. Maybe he could take a risk and have the abhuman shot from the rear hatch. The gun was certainly more useful being pointed and shot at the approaching enemy. He soon dismissed the idea, realising the limitations of the Ripper Gun the Ogryn carried.

"anyone have any ideas for when those Xenos catch up to us?" Hertius growled to the group.

Wargamer

"Yeah, I've got one. It's not a good one, but it's a plan. I bail out and you floor it. If I play possum they might just believe that I'm dead long enough for me to make some new friends. After that it's just a simple case of taking out a Hammerhead and a Crisis team single handedly. The only problem with this plan is I don't think I am going to land without breaking something. Other than that, it's a flawless strategy."

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

"Why not take the Ogryn with you?" Hertius piped into McTavish's plan. "He'll give you a good shield, whilst also giving you a better chance against the Crisis suits. This would be a suicide plan, as even if you manage to destroy all the Xenos forces yourself, you will be stranded in the middle of a battlefield."

The Man They Call Jayne

"I strongly suggest that we floor this thing and get away while I lay down a wide area of discouragement. Least risk to us, and it might keep them off our tail at least until that Hammerhead catches up."

Mabbz

"Forget the Hammerhead and battlesuits," called Maria over her shoulder. "We're faster than them, so they're not a problem unless we slow down enough to let them get in range. All we have to do is destroy the Pirhanas quickly, without letting them slow us down. They're the only things they have that can outrun us. Sergeant Wexler, can you disable a Pirhana with that heavy bolter?"

Wargamer

"Get low!" McTavish yelled suddenly. "Kick up some dirt! Seer, I need your augments! And grenades! Get every grenade we've Got!"
As he began lashing explosives together he added, "we use dust kicked up to cover us dropping bombs, and if we can time the fuses we can blow the blue bastards apart! If all else fails it might persuade them to stay back, and we've got a range advantage!"
He paused, gripping a bundle of grenades held together with Bakka issue bonding tape. "If anyone has a problem with this, nows the time to speak up."

Narric

Hertius appreciated the ingenuity of the Sergeant, if the crudeness of the cluster said otherwise. Returning his eye to the hull breach again, he began calculating if it would even work work.
"We may not have a chance to resupply our grenades, so try and leave us a few."

The Man They Call Jayne

"I can damn well try!"

He sighted on the lead Piranha, he aim surprisingly steady.

"I'll do what I can, just say when!"

Mabbz

The Pirhana closed the gap behind them, flying in a tight formation with the fusion blaster in the centre, while the two burst cannons flanked. As they approached, Wexler let rip with his heavy bolter. He focused on the fusion blaster; if that thing got in range, then it was probably all over. As he was firing though, the devilfish lurched slightly sending the bullets wide.

"Would you keep this thing steady, Corporal!?" He bellowed as he re-aimed, completely unheard over the sound of his weapon.

This time some of the mass reactive shell struck true. Wexler saw the Tau gunner duck as a chunk of the hull plating was torn off and flew over their heads. As he tried to target one of the other rapidly closing pirhana, he was nearly thrown from the cupola by massive bang.

"Fething hell, what are you doing!?"

Downstairs, Maria's heart was in her mouth as she steadied her hands over the controls. She had learnt to pilot this thing less than an hour ago, and now she was about to try something risky just to let them catch the Tau off guard. Steeling her nerves, she pressed a button to lower the landing gear.

"Ready back there?" she called back to McTavish.

"Not until you open that hatch, I'm not!"

"Ok," she mumbled, concentrating. She hit the door release and dropped the anti-grav. "NOW!"

The 'fish dipped, causing the landing gear to scrape throught the dirt. This threw up a large cloud of soil and (hopefully unimportant) landing gear bits, blinding the Tau for a moment as the hatch opened. It cleared in about a second and the central pirhana jerked to one side slightly to try and avoid the mass of explosives heading for him.

He failed.

With an almighty boom, the device detonated underneath the Tau craft, flipping it spectacularly into the air. It came down nose first and rolled to a stop upside down. Almost as surprised as their comrades, the remaining two pirhana tried to return fire but their aim was off, and the few shots that hit just lightly scorched the rear hatch as it closed up again.