News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Piranha Kill Team?

Started by Carrelio, June 14, 2012, 04:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrelio

Hey Everyone,

This question arises from a fun little event that my local GW is running while we wait for the new edition to be released (and celebrate the release of flyers).  It

Alpha_Wolf

if your looking at flyers, and need something then why not take your pirannah team as your flyer? you could have the three start on the  board, then add three fro reserves. you could also take a regular pathfinder squad for the fish and fill it with rail rifles (against individual models, that should be killer)..
Quote from:  H.P. LovecraftThat is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange strange aeons even death may die.
Keep this in mind, mortal fools, the Hive Mind can wait forever.

Carrelio

That's also a possibility...

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Hammerhead with Ion Cannon could work nicely in this situation?
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Carrelio

I think the ion cannon hammerhead is one of the better options for my flyer stand in if I do go with the piranhas for the kill team.

Charistoph

Since everyone else answered about the Flyer, let's look at the first group of questions, shall we?

Quote from: Carrelio on June 14, 2012, 04:36:07 PM
And now the real questions begin.
First and foremost, is this formation legal?  I didn
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Carrelio

Well everyone, the tournament started today and it's my job to keep you all posted on what worked and what didn't!
The ion head is possibly the nastiest thing in the army (when it comes on from reserve and hits its shots).  The tournament has a few extra special rules to note.  First we're in teams of 4 (my team is myself, as the only Tau player, and then 3 Eldar players).  We are scored both individually and as a team.  The kill team missions also have some interesting objectives added to each game (3 to be exact), that we get bonus points for completing.  The first is a straight up objective mission, so whoever holds the most terrain pieces wins.  The second objective is to drop a nuke on the enemy base, so you have to get a model into the enemy deployment zone and on a 3+, with a -1 modifier for each enemy model in the base with you and a +1 for every friendly model, you end the game and win the mission, and lastly a good old assassination, where you pick one of your team members, and the game ends when he is killed.

The piranhas work well against stock troops, as expected, but I'm really struggling against anything armed with special weapons (which is pretty common in kill teams).  Anything moving fast with guns better than S4 is a serious threat.

I played 2 games today.

The first was against space wolves.  It was a nice way to ease into the challenges of killteam.  2 thunder wolves with hammers and shields for flyer equivalents, and a 10 man marine squad with a melta and plasma gun, with a rhino for transport.  The melta and the plasma were the real thorn in my side of this game, I needed to get into range to hit them with the fusion blaster or even the drones (since 18 inch drone range is just 6 inches away from melta range where that marine could get me!) but I kept missing, or failing to wound, and then getting shot down.  I managed to win in the end, by cowering my piranhas in a corner while the ion head blasted everything to pieces (and then grabbed all the terrain once the thunderwolves, plasma, and melta were killed since the bolt guns couldn't hurt my piranahas)...

The second game was much harder, and actually a list I had considered myself.  It was Dark Eldar reaver jet bikes backed up by their flyer.  The jet bikes with blasters were absolutely my downfall.  No matter what I did, I could not get the jump on them (since they were faster and more agile than me).  By the end of the game, I had lost all but one Piranha... but managed to pull off a win anyways as that last piranha dropped the nuke on the Dark Eldar base (making all 6 cover saves against the 2 dark lances and 4 big blast templates the DE bomber launched at me when my opponent realized what I was going for)!

I think I may need to play more defensive, and just wait for the hammerhead to arrive from this point on...

Also... thoughts on changing the tank hunter USR piranha to have swarm USR? Swarms get stealth and don't block line of sight... both of which are actually awesome bonuses to have.  The downside, swarms are vulnerable to blast weaponry, so my already fragile piranha are suddenly taking double the damage from blast anti-tank.  Thoughts?

Alpha_Wolf

Swarms won't help your piranhas. Why not use regular stealth?
Quote from:  H.P. LovecraftThat is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange strange aeons even death may die.
Keep this in mind, mortal fools, the Hive Mind can wait forever.

Carrelio

Already got regular stealth on one of them.  Why wont swarms help?

Edit: Swapped tankhunter for swarm.  Worked nicely (3+ cover!).  Getting the hang of the list now.  Wait for hammerhead to show up.  Let it take out all the threats.  Then go forth with the piranhas.  Won 2 games by a landslide today.