News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

RPG gamers out there?

Started by BigToof, October 27, 2018, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
I do some on/off RPG games from time to time as I love pen-and-paper goodness.  I've been an old time player of DnD and Dark Heresy with some new tries at Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark.

Anyone else playing out there and if so, stories you'd like to share?

I've honestly been looking at possibly getting the new 40k Wrath and Glory, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

I've been interested in D&D since I had a crash course campaign with friends. Was considering if one could be run on the forum.

Cammerz

I'm currently in two weekly campaigns, one of which is Dark Heresy, the other is a Round Robin where we take it in turns to run our campaign for a couple of months before moving on to the next person. Currently the RR is on Pathfinder, my campaign for that is Shadowrun 4e.

I have a great many stories but one of my favourites so far is when I created a mission for my Shadowrunners where they had to break into a collector's warehouse in Seattle, steal a leopard and transport it across the city to the docks where it would be shipped overseas. It wasn't until they broke into the warehouse that they realised it wasn't a big cat, it was a Leopard 2A8 Main Battle Tank which they then had to drive across the city without triggering any alarms. They'd already fitted a cage into a van to transport the expected feline.

BigToof

Quote from: Narric on October 27, 2018, 12:37:08 PM
I've been interested in D&D since I had a crash course campaign with friends. Was considering if one could be run on the forum.

That would certainly be interesting.  Maybe enough to bring people out of the woodworks to play?
I've always wanted to try out 5th DnD as it's available on-line even as a free PDF (for the basic rules).
If I was playing I'd probably...  Oh who am I kidding, I'd be an Orc Barbarian.

Quote from: Cammerz on October 27, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
I'm currently in two weekly campaigns, one of which is Dark Heresy, the other is a Round Robin where we take it in turns to run our campaign for a couple of months before moving on to the next person. Currently the RR is on Pathfinder, my campaign for that is Shadowrun 4e.

I have a great many stories but one of my favourites so far is when I created a mission for my Shadowrunners where they had to break into a collector's warehouse in Seattle, steal a leopard and transport it across the city to the docks where it would be shipped overseas. It wasn't until they broke into the warehouse that they realised it wasn't a big cat, it was a Leopard 2A8 Main Battle Tank which they then had to drive across the city without triggering any alarms. They'd already fitted a cage into a van to transport the expected feline.

I love Shadowrun.  How is 4e?  I flipped through it a bit, but it's got a bit of rules bloat that does worry me.  Pathfinder is another interesting game that I've always seen from afar, but getting the whole rules dynamic under my belt has been a bit daunting.  I've played Shadowrun 1st ed a while back and that was fun with mass wired reflexes doing Matrix-like things before it was cool...
And then getting killed by Toxic Shamans...

Good times.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

BigToof

I just hilariously rolled up the following DnD stats:

Name: BigToof
Race: Ork
Class: Barbarian

STR: 20
DEX: 11
CON: 14
INT: 9
WIS: 9
CHR: 8

Level: 1
HP: 14

Equipment:
Greataxe, two handaxes
An explorer's pack and four javelins

Aggressive, Menacing, Powerful build, Darkvision

Languages: Common, Orc

Background: TBD

I may be interested in an on-line game :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Narric

BT, you should know better than to double post :P Though you've made me realise if we hold D&D and other RPGs on the forum, it may be useful to create some character sheet code templates like we have for warhammer house rule units. Might try and develope that when I have a moment spare and post it here in Other Games :3

BigToof

Thanks!

Does this mean that you're willing to DM?

Apologies for the double post :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Narric

Quote from: BigToof on October 27, 2018, 09:42:08 PM
Does this mean that you're willing to DM?

I may be doing some world building that may or may not be intended for D&D :shifty:

BigToof

Well, if you ever need anyone to bounce ideas off of, feel free!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Narric

What's the best way to handle combat or other high in DM interaction actions? I believe Rav and others use three rounds rapid, but that seems best for combat.

Or is this each DM should feel they can experiment with?

BigToof

I'm not sure what the three rounds rapid technique is, but I think it would depend on the group.
Some mechanics heavy games (such as Pathfinder) are really about tactical thinking in combats, so it can drag on, but I've noticed many people find that kind of detail rather rewarding.
I've been liking storytelling/"big picture" style type of interactions, where it's just one roll and whatever happens, happens, but you can make nuanced changes with complications and what-not.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

I've never done any roleplaying outside the forum, so I can't speak for real world games, but when it comes to forum RPs... Here's the thing. In a real world game, when you ask the GM a question, you get a response straight away. In a forum RP, you could be waiting for days if the GMs busy.

As a result, player pretty much have to DM minor interactions on their own to save time and keep things interesting. Players will sometimes roleplay both sides of a conversation until they reach a bit that they can't know the response to. You'll also find that players have to post what looks like an incoherent barrage of questions, only to then have the GM respond as though an actual conversation had taken place.

Three rounds rapid is definitely an effective way to handle fights and such, but perhaps the best advise I'd have is that, as a GM, you'll probably have to retcon events occasionally. Sometimes it's for something minor, like reordering posts into an actual conversation, sometimes it's something bigger, like outright declaring that a players post is non canon because something happened that renders it invalid.

Of course in the end, if a game play mechanic doesn't work, you can always change the rules to something that does.