News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

A 2S Campaign?

Started by Sorck, July 09, 2012, 10:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you prefer Tau and Eldar to be part of:

The Imperium and it's Allies
8 (61.5%)
Enemies of the Imperium.
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Sorck

Well... I'm coming to find the opinions of our Enclavites on having a forum-wide Second Sphere 'campaign' of sorts.

Below is a general overview of the idea. Your feedback on the idea would be invaluable. :)

Quote from: Hive Lord on June 17, 2012, 01:39:36 PM
How many people are still visiting the forum? If we sent an all-member email and asked everyone to come on and post so we know they're still interested in the forum, it would be easier to get everyone to make a concerted effort - a big push - to get the show back on the road.

The idea is something similar to the Ork vs Imperial Guard campaign that I believe was running before the crash. I think I may have written this up before but everything from the last six months is gone from my PM box and the committee board, so I'll try again. Essentially, we want to - if you'll excuse the business terminology - gamify the forum.

Basically, we get everyone on the forum to sign up for one of two teams. Not sure what - maybe something like Order (Imperium, Tau, Eldar) vs Disorder (DE, Chaos, Orks, Tyranids, Necrons). Everyone who signs up for one of the teams gets something for their profile/avatar/signature that immediately identifies them as being a part of it every time they post. If we're going to do this, we need to go the whole way - everything on the forum should reflect these two teams. We're looking for friendly competitive rivalry between them. I'm thinking a new secret HQ board for each team - this will a) encourage people to sign up, b) build camaraderie within the team and c) give a place to discuss tactics. A board which both teams should be there too, called something appropriate like No-Man's Land.
Each member earns points for their team for carrying out certain specified activities. These could include:
-Joining the team
-Writing an article or tactica
-Writing a piece of fluff
-Writing a battle report
-Placing in an official contest
-Reaching post landmarks (e.g. 1000 posts)
-Referring a new member to the forum and your team (this would earn lots of points - 'recruiting' should be a big deal as we want to encourage this more than anything and is vital if this is going to work)
-Winning a game against a player on the other team
-Winning a 'Duel' - some kind of two-person monthly hobby vow-type thing where each player is striving towards a similar goal. Either the first person to reach the goal, or the one who is judged the best (need to make sure it's impartial somehow)
-Special forum events

etc etc

People can earn ranks based on how many points they've earned for their team (to replace forum ranks). There should be a team leader - maybe a Champion? - who should probably only serve for a set length of time, at which point the next champion could be decided either by points scored or by election. Maybe other set roles in the team as well. Recuitment officer, treasurer (keeps track of points), someone to write for the newsletter, etc etc.

At the end of a period - maybe three months? - a team is declared a winner for the quarter/season/whatever. Not sure what the prizes can be other than bragging rights. Maybe sponsored prizes for the highest few earners that season? Some kind of forum-based perk, like a new emoticon for their team, or something? Maybe the winning team can pick the next contest or set a challenge for the other team or something?
Don't know if we'd need to reset points at the end of the season. Maybe have a 'total points' tally and a 'seasonal points' tally?

The scores should maybe be displayed fairly prominently at the top of the main page if possible.

Unsure about what we should do regarding moderators, admins and referees/organisers. Maybe have a group of neutral 'Peacekeepers' ? I think the only mods would need to be the globals, as we moved towards with the committees, and then the 'Board Leaders' could still lead boards, but do so as part of their team.

This whole thing would take a hell of a lot of organisation. If we're going to do this, we'd need to get as many people on board with the organising as possible.

It's often been said that we need to have a defining point as a forum to distinguish ourselves from others. If we did this right, this could be it.

So, do you think that you would be interested in participating in such an event and/or organising it?

Also, what ideas along the lines of this idea do you have?

InsaneTD

That sounds awesome and I'd love to help. I can't think of anything to add at this point but I'm sure someone will have so more suggestions.

El ShasOcho

Definitely interested. Something similar to the Whaagh campaign we had going before the crash, but instead of two factions all the factions right? I would certainly join in, although I doubt I would be able to play any games unless it starts quite soon as I will be gone for college in a month and a half, would still help out, write fluff/tactica, etc.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Rej

I love the idea of this and am very keen. I'm happy to help anyway I can to get this going!

Could we also have a broad storyline/setting for the campaign to take place? And the season winners can choose a plot point/device to advance or develop?

But yes, I am all about Gamifying this place.
Phew...

Sorck

Quote from: Brother Perturabo on July 10, 2012, 02:58:41 AM
Definitely interested. Something similar to the Whaagh campaign we had going before the crash, but instead of two factions all the factions right?
That is the sort of thing that this has been likened to.

It's currently been suggested to follow what is essentially the Forces and Allies of the Imperium vs their Enemies.

Quote from: Rej on July 10, 2012, 05:15:05 AM
I love the idea of this and am very keen. I'm happy to help anyway I can to get this going!

Could we also have a broad storyline/setting for the campaign to take place? And the season winners can choose a plot point/device to advance or develop?
I like the idea of having such a contest. :)

I might have to mention this to the already-busy contests committee. :P

There is a committee for this campaign but, for the moment, I think we need a more accessible board to organise it in - maybe we could use a dedicated 'No Man's Land' Board? (not that I created this a while back... :shifty:)

InsaneTD

I'd be willing to give some time towards this. I'm getting pretty excited about this actually. :P

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Schev and I had plans to run another warhammer 40k campaign before the crash. I'll have to get in touch if we wanted to continue what we had (kinda) planned, or expand it so the whole forum can join.

Zen and I were pencilling in a Fantasy one too, but idk where that'll go.

Open for ideas though, willing to help where I can.

Zambia
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Sorck

I've moved this to the general campaign discussion board. :)

We're going to need some members to spearhead this campaign.

Does the general idea of the campaign being, essentially, forces of order vs forces of disorder sound appealing? If so we could begin work on this premise and offer 6th edition article writing, campaign fluff writing and other such contests.

Also, does attaching forum 'ranks' to this system sound interesting?

InsaneTD

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 10, 2012, 02:00:30 PM
Yes, yes and yes. :P

This

Sorck you make good points.

However I'd suggest to make it more emphasised on victories in battles/games rather than defeating the opposition - because so much fighting goes on within the races in the "order" category. Let alone the disorder category :P
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD

Sorck

Quote from: Lord Zambia on July 10, 2012, 02:45:38 PM
Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 10, 2012, 02:00:30 PM
Yes, yes and yes. :P

This

Sorck you make good points.

However I'd suggest to make it more emphasised on victories in battles/games rather than defeating the opposition - because so much fighting goes on within the races in the "order" category. Let alone the disorder category :P
I see no problem with such a thing.

We need to decide how many points should be awarded for different things.

One thing though, bringing people (especially those who become active) to 2S will get you rather lovely numbers of points. ;)

crisis_vyper

Definitely interested. And it will be a good incentive for me to play with 6th

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Quote from: Sorck the Spork on July 10, 2012, 03:13:27 PM
One thing though, bringing people (especially those who become active) to 2S will get you rather lovely numbers of points. ;)

This depends on how many/what time the pointsmasters (or whatever we decide to call them) are prepared to put in to calculating such points.

What we could do is say if you bring a new member to the forum, you get a certain %age of points they get added to yours as commission, in addition to the points bonus for a new member. So if he writes 5 articles for, say, 50 points - then you yourself get 5 points (10% commission) because you're the reason they are here. This %age of commission isn't deducted from the rightful person that scored them, more added in addition for the player who roped them in.

Therefore it's more rewarding for a current member to get a few players with a real buzz for the hobby in, then it is for them to just force all their facebook friends to sign up with a profile and never view the site again :P

Another idea could be to host smaller campaigns within campaigns every 3 or 4 months or so. Say for example, the past guard vs ork campaign. Points in the sub-campaign (perhaps come up with a better word for it in future :P) will be tallied in the subcampaign (for relevant articles about the campaign, etc) while also claiming the regular global points. Then, the winning side (order or disorder) would get a large amount of points towards the global campaign for winning a sub campain.  If that makes sense.

Another idea I had is why not limit it to order and disorder. I know, especially with disorder races - they'd like to see where they sit on the ladder of disorder, who to bully on and who to look for allies with, etc. I'm sure the Order factions would also compare for their own cocky and ego gains. So aside from the main global Order v Disorder scores, each board/race/faction could have a subscore - used more with campaigns that involve multiple parties, etc etc.

We could also look to include some vassa......erm...online games.....with the forum members. This could allow some games to feel like community games for a change - could prove epic in terms of campaigns, etc etc.

Just a few ideas

Zambia

Rej

I'm liking everything I'm hearing and am all about supporting this.

One thing Tom and I thought of though was what happens when a player have multiple armies? For example, I have a large Dark Eldar force that I would love to use in this campaign, which would place me as disorder. Is it possible to also use my Space Marines though? Who would be order?

Or is which army your using slightly less relevant to which side you sign up for? So I sign up for Disorder, but play games with both DE and SM, would my DE games/articles just be worth more?
Phew...

crisis_vyper

What about an allied force? How would that count? Allies are part of 6th ed and we could not deny it.