News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Begel Dverl's Forays Into Modelling (Now with 100% more Illic Nightspear!)

Started by Begel Dverl, September 27, 2012, 10:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Begel Dverl

I'm going out of my comfort zone to being the quiet guy and trying to start a blog.

At least, one with pictures.

Of models.

And stuff....

Anyway, I have been collecting for over five years and I got Dark Vengeance recently. I must say, I love it. The sculpts. The put-together-ness of it all. And especially the little chaplain I found inside of my box!

But, I'm sure you're here for pictures of my pretty models.

Instead of bombing your computer with THASANDZ of pictures, I'm going to start off with a few pictures and a few videeos my friend took of my armies.

First, pictures.

First up is the Power Fist Chosen from the DV boxed set. I loved this model. Quite easily my favorite one. I went for an Iron Warriors theme to match my Dark Eldar. I'm going to try and go for a more, detailed shoulderpad when I get back to him this weekend.

Since I will only take pictures of only this for now, I'm just going to leave something I whipped up in place of a model.

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Looks pretty good man, good to see some of the brand new models on display ;)

If I can make one comment, it's that the white cloth (if that's what it is) over his leg looks abit...shallow in terms of colours or shades - a wash (or a glaze or whatever it's called now) over it would work really well. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing what a darker wash would do on the silver either; I myself never pictured chaos marines to be in bright shiney armour, more dark, worn armour. A wash could provide more of a gothic kinda look.

Nice job all round though :)

Zambia
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Begel Dverl

Quote from: Lord Zambia on September 27, 2012, 10:34:42 PM
Looks pretty good man, good to see some of the brand new models on display ;)

If I can make one comment, it's that the white cloth (if that's what it is) over his leg looks abit...shallow in terms of colours or shades - a wash (or a glaze or whatever it's called now) over it would work really well. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing what a darker wash would do on the silver either; I myself never pictured chaos marines to be in bright shiney armour, more dark, worn armour. A wash could provide more of a gothic kinda look.

Nice job all round though :)

Zambia
Thanks!

So I tried out those new washes from GW; Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade.

The Result?

Meh.

I didn't take a good photo; I might have another go at it some time this week.

On the up and up, I finished up a few Cultitsts.

I'm just going to put this out here: painting Cultists are like painting pieces of crap. You can paint it and make it the prettiest model ever. But when you play that model in a game, it's a pretty turd.

But, regardless, I painted 'em.

The first one up is the Close Combat Cultist Champion, or the CCCC. I like to think that this guy was, at one point in time, a Redemptor or Redemptionist from Necromunda or some other place. How ironic is it that a once-fervant zealot of the Imperium is now a mindless thrall of Chaos?

This next one up is that piece of turd I was talking about. I really, really, REALLY like how it came out. But then I remembered; it's a Cultitst. There's eight more of them. This one's gonna die like the rest.
But, I like to think that this one was one of the many Guardsmen on Cadia when he was inducted, seduced, or captured by Chaos and made a cultist of the Gods.

Maybe I should do them all as Cadians...

Regardless, I am going to try and update this little plog as much as I can.

So stay tuned, true believers!

Begel Dverl

Update time!

Since tomorrow is my birthday, I thought I could indulge you with one more picture before I indulge myself in whatever.

I made this little beaut after I recieved a few bitz from my bitz supplier, one of which being an outstretched pistol arm.

A simple cut and glue later and this happened.

Stay tuned!

Tactical Genius

"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Will's on Fire

I think after the nuln oil the colours look more defined. Leaving a small back edge between colours really helps make them "pop". Nuln oil essentially does this for you but going into the recesses that want to be left that colour.

It seems like you're doing this for some of your models but paint area --> wash nuln --> rehighlight is the best way to make your colours show. Good work so far, more updates is always good, and having a plog is one of the best ways to improve your painting.

- Will

Begel Dverl

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on October 12, 2012, 09:17:49 AM
I think after the nuln oil the colours look more defined. Leaving a small back edge between colours really helps make them "pop". Nuln oil essentially does this for you but going into the recesses that want to be left that colour.

It seems like you're doing this for some of your models but paint area --> wash nuln --> rehighlight is the best way to make your colours show. Good work so far, more updates is always good, and having a plog is one of the best ways to improve your painting.

- Will

Hmm....gotta try that....

Anywho, my birthday was awesome!

I got some clothes and some gift cards, but I thought the best thing was the new carrying case I got AND a special model from a friend.

Other than that, Dark Vengeance is still being worked on.

Not much else to report.

Stay tuned!

Begel Dverl

By the beating of the drums
Something wicked this way comes

Begel Dverl

I know I'm posting in a dead-thread, but I feel  obligated at least to update it every now and then, even Iif I'm not sure if a lot of people pay attention to it.

With the last pic, I decided to go ahead and finish that up that project. I hope to take pictures of the finished product at a later date before I send it off to a friend of mine.
So, with my birthday pass a few months ago, I had forgotten to show you my afore-mentioned gift! The same friend, who I shall deliver the project to, gave me this for my birthday:

He told me it was the Primarch Vulkan and I. Love. It! He must've spent at least a week trying to do the detail on the cape.

And it's huge!

And it's fully magnetized!

And, just because, an action pose.

So, hopefully, I will get that all painted up.

In the meantime, I made a deviantArt profile.

So........ here: http://begeldverl.deviantart.com/

LinnScarlett

Oh, the sculpting looks really nice I think! I really need to get my own sculpting skills under control. Do keep you're blog updated, I am sure there's still people checking it (like me). :)
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Jonagon

Looks good! Hadn't seen your blog before, went back through it. Really like the conversion on the green marine.

When you're using the washes on the figures, don't forgot the bases too, a wash really improves the contrast of the flock you've put there.

How's it going with Dark Vengance, got much painted? Don't worry about dead topic thing, it doesn't apply to your own blog!

LinnScarlett

The beauty of 'dead topics' is that the only thing needed to revive them, is a new post! As this will spam it to our 'unread posts' list - and as I am always someone that checks through those practicaly daily (because, really, my life is boring :P), I'll eventually find it and post, and then others post, and voila. Raised from the dead!  ;D
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Begel Dverl

After quite a long hiatus, I got an iPhone capable of pictures!

So I decided I should update this blog I have here :)

Now then, since I have a lot of new models to show you, none of them are here with me in Maine.

BUT!

I brought along a good amount of models to keep me company.

And YOU! The good people of 2S, will help me decide which ones to paint next ;D

I will update with more details tomorrow :)

+ONE TOMORROW LATER+

Okay! So, here are the batches of stuff :D

A list for all of those who can't see a thing:
1) Lobotomized Cultist with big knife
2) DE Scourge with Splinter Cannon
3) Plasma Cannon Marine
4) Bolter Marine
5) Bolter Chosen
6) Maul Chosen
7) Cultist with Club
8 ) Gas-Mask Cultist with Club
9) Metal Lilith Hesperax
10) Shotgun Cultist
11) Flamethrower Cultist
12) DE Wych
13) DE Hekatrix
14) Ork Runtherder
15) Three-Eyed Cultist with Autogun
16) Running Cultist with Autogun
17) Beakie Marine
18) Robed Cultist with Autogun
19) Stubcannon Cultist
20) Bolter Marine
21) Flail Cultist
22) Flail Cultist
23) Metal DE Beastmaster
24) Bolter Marine
25) Salamanders Tactical Marine
26) Salamanders Tactical Marine
27) Beakie Marine
28) Ork Nob
29) Chainsword Sergeant
30) Deathwatch Librarian
31) Ork Nob
32) Bolter Marine with Standard
33) SPESHUL PRAJEKT: TF2 Ork Pyro
34) SPESHUL PRAJEKT: TF2 Ork Scout
35) Kaldor Draigo
36) Salamanders Tactical Marine
37) [N/A]
38) Akimbo Grot
39) Grot in need of repainting
40) Ork Nob
41) Ork Nob
42) Robed Cultist with Autogun
43) Running Cultist with Autogun
44) DE Wrack
45) DE Wych
46) LE DV Chaplain
47) Assault Cannon Terminator
48) Ork Loota
49) DE Wrack
50) DE Acothyst with 2 CCW
51) Salamanders Tactical Marine
52) DE Scourge with Splinter Cannon
53) IGNORE
54) Ork Boy
55) DE Wrack
56) DE Warrior
57) Ork Boy
58) CSM Aspiring Champion
59) Storm Bolter Terminator
60) Terminator Sergeant
61) Librarian
62) DE Acothyst with Hexrifle
63) DV Captain
64) Salamanders Tactical Marine
65) Ork Boy
66) SPESHUL PRAJEKT: Ork WAAAGH! Banner Boy
67) Grot Orderly
68) SPESHUL PRAJEKT: TF2 Ork Medic
69) DE Wrack with Liquifier
70) DE Wrack
71) Ork Big Mek with KFF
72) Chainfist Terminator
73) Storm Bolter Terminator
74) Light Claw Chosen
75) Bolter Chosen

Begel Dverl

Just finished this guy :D

He was a little bitch to get onto the outcropping >:(

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Anyway, I'm gonna try to knock out sets of models before moving onto another one. Like Orks or Space Marines first.

Narric

I'm surprised I didn't see this before dude ;)

Liking the "Primarch Vulkan" model, but wouldn't it more likely be Vulkan He'stan, the Chapter Master of the Salamanders, not Primarch?