News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

An Unexpected Journey

Started by Cammerz, November 24, 2012, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCatsLarge.jsp?catId=cat970003a&rootCatGameStyle=athletic

So The Hobbit models have started to appear. They give us an idea of what certain parts of the film will look like.

The miniatures which jump out at me as being especially good include:
The new Warg Riders,
The Hunter Orcs,
Goblin town,
The White Council (Elrond in particular looks amazing in this set).

Well, I'm really looking forward to the film, and hopefully, as with the Lord of the Rings, this will encourage a new generation of hobbyists to start up.

Will's on Fire

The wargs are really cool looking and I like the hunter orcs a lot.

The goblin town is a nice bit of terrain that is open to a lot of different uses. I think they've done a good job on this release sculpt wise.

I also just noticed that in the starter set pictures, at least on the uk site, the picture of of the french booklets. :P

- Will

Thantos

Hunter orcs on wargs are nice ;D Cant wait for the film and i echo the sentiment about new gamer influx!

Mabbz

I'm only really interested in the dwarves. I started collecting them years ago, back when could only buy them in blister packs. I haven't been able to add to my collection in ages (my army is all metal) but I'm still looking forward to this.

Paradoxrifts

Quote from: Mabbz on November 25, 2012, 01:27:24 PM
I'm only really interested in the dwarves. I started collecting them years ago, back when could only buy them in blister packs. I haven't been able to add to my collection in ages (my army is all metal) but I'm still looking forward to this.

If you're into Tolkien-style stunties then you should definitely check out the HF Miniatures dwarf line, Mabbz. I can't guarantee that they'll be indistinguishable from the GW versions, but they're not a bad range of miniatures.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on November 24, 2012, 04:13:58 PM
The goblin town is a nice bit of terrain that is open to a lot of different uses. I think they've done a good job on this release sculpt wise.

I want goblin-town to create an archaeotech digsite backdrop as a display scenery for my Dark-Angels-kitbashed-into-Alpha-Legionnaires...
But I don't think they sell it seperate, do they? :(

Quote from: Thantos on November 25, 2012, 12:41:31 PM
Hunter orcs on wargs are nice ;D Cant wait for the film and i echo the sentiment about new gamer influx!

Hm, wargs - warg riders, must be one of my favourite units of baddies in LOTR. I never much liked the runty looking things they did previous times, but these look niiiiiiiiiiice! X3

I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 20, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
Quote from: Will Vas Fire on November 24, 2012, 04:13:58 PM

I want goblin-town to create an archaeotech digsite backdrop as a display scenery for my Dark-Angels-kitbashed-into-Alpha-Legionnaires...
But I don't think they sell it seperate, do they? :(

They do sell the scenery separately, although I think it wouldn't be anything that you could not achieve yourself, armed with lollipop/popsicle sticks, some dowling and a healthy dose of enthusiasm. :) Especially when you work out the cost of the sticks Vs the terrain piece...

- Will

LinnScarlett

Oooh - don't give me an excuse to eat even more icecream than I already do!  ;D

You're probably right, it's just that it looks sooooooo nice... *graspy hands*

In the category of cheap hobby supplimenting: I can advice EVERYONE to go plunder the stores where they sell christmas deco in your neighbourhood, after christmas. There is some plant-deco (for creating those christmas plant display things - whatever they're called in english) that is already reasonably cheap currently, but you can get piles of it for barely nothing after christmas. And the rest of the year, I haven't really seen that stuff anywhere. Only in deco stores specifically for people that deco with plants, but those are extremely expensive again.

Did that come across as even vaguely knowing what I am talking about? I mean all the fake moss, plant, rooty, leafy bits that go in there, along with real living plants and decoration elements. My younger sister likes doing it, so I am preying on her left-overs at the moment.  :P
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17