News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

White paint

Started by Chocomel, January 21, 2013, 10:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocomel

I was wondering what basecoat and shades i should use to create a warm white colour (right now i use fortress grey base and codex grey shade). And i was also wondering what i could do to stop my white paint to be flakey, should i thin it down (it's very thin already) or is my skull white just crap, they seem to be flakes of pigment or something.

Tom

I'd use a basecoat of Bleached Bone (Ushabti) over a white undercoat and shade with that and Bestial Brown (Mournfang) or Gryphonne Sepia (Seraphim).

Codex and Fortress greys give a neutral white whilst Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey give a cold white.

I don't think your white paint should have flakes in it. That suggests to me that parts of it have dried up completely at some stage and are now contaminating the rest of the pot.

LinnScarlett

Flakes can come from drying out of the top layer of the paint if you haven't used it for a while - I have that all the time  :facepalm001:
What I do when opening a jar I haven't used for a while, and it has a bit of a solid 'disc' of paint on top, I try and pry the more solid and thick paint out, put it on a lid, and then dilute it with water back to normal consistancy before returning most of it to the pot (to waste as little paint as possible, that shit is expensive as it is), and then I mix it back into the pot, sometimes diluting the entire thing a little until its back to the consistancy of the paint when I bought it. :)
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Jonagon

If you mean the finish is kinda chalky then yes I think this is skull white.  I have had no end of problems trying to get over this. Currently trying some different brands which seem a little better. But it's tough going.

Perhaps you could show us a photo to give us an idea of the size of flakes you're seeing?  You may just need more layers to cover better.  White had notoriously poor coverage.

Chocomel

yeah, it's my skull white. hmmm, guess i'll just switch back to revell paint, never let me down *crosses fingers*