News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Toy Soldier 2012 Tournament Review

Started by Arguleon-veq, July 25, 2012, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Toy Soldier is a multi system event that accomodates 100 players spread across many systems[40K, Fantasy, Warmachine, Flames of War, Malifaux etc], I usually play 40K but as only 12 were playing 40K this year I opted for Fantasy which had a better turn out of 34 players.

Fantasy was to be 2400 Points using the South Coast GT Comp Pack which the vast majority of UK Fantasy Tournaments use [besides some which are very heavily comped]. As I only have my Warriors of Chaos painted, I took those:

Sorc Lord; Enchanted Shield, Sword of Anti Heros, Lv4 Shadow, Spell Fam.
BSB; Tzeentch, Shield, Biting Blade, Talisman of Preservation.
Festus;

15 Chosen; Khorne, Halberds, Shields, Favour, FC, Rapturous Standard.
17 Warriors; Tzeentch, Shields, Halberds, FC, Banner of Rage.
38 Marauders; Khorne, Flails, FC.
5 Knights; Khorne, Banner.

Hellcannon;
Hellcannon;

I had used this list at a 1 dayer a few months ago, only 14 players but most were ranked within the top 50 in the UK so a very hard field. I come 6th after beating Empire and drawing with Tomb Kings [Khalida Gunline] and Ogres.

I was very rusty with Fantasy, hardly playing it at all anymore but that 1 dayer gave me a little confidence.

Rulebook missions were to be played, not many people were happy with that and it didnt suit my Warriors either.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Game 1:
Wood Elves -

Lvl4; Life
BSB; Hail of Doom, Ayendies Bane
Alter Noble;

20 Archers;
5 Glade Riders;
5 Wild Riders;
6 Treekin;
12 Dryads;
12 Dryads;
Treeman;
Eagle;
Eagle;
12 Wardancers;

The Mission was the diagonal one were units may start off the board. He started without his Archers, Glade Riders and Treekin. I started without a Hellcannon.

I went first and edged up my magic and Hellcannon doing very little this turn as my other Hellcannon rolled on.

He danced around a little, getting his Eagles in my way. He killed a few Warriors with Dwellers.

My Knights crash into his Dryads and my Chosen into his Dancers. I manage to pit his Treeman, killing it and the Hellcannon takes out his Lvl4. I also Maisma his Dancers, reducing their WS and I by 3, I wipe out the Wardancers. My Knights though lose 2 before they get to strike and then only get 3 kills and the Dryads hold.

He crashes his other Dryad unit into my Marauders along with his Wild Riders. His shooting takes a few wounds from a Hellcannon. My Knights break the Dryads and run them down whilst my Marauders smash the Wild Riders and Dryads they are fighting.

In my turn my Chosen charge into his Treekin whilst my Hellcannon fails its raargh and charges some Glade Riders. My Chosen roll very badly and only do 5 wounds but his Treekin do none in return and I run the unit down as my Hellcannon finishes off the Glade Riders.

The rest of the game is just a mopping up process, I lose most of my Marauders to shooting before i manage to wipe him out.

Game 2:
Vampire Counts -

This was not a list I wanted to face, there were 3 almost exact copies of it and it is the the hardest build in the game right now. This one played by one of the best players around at the minute.

Lvl4 Necromancer;
Lvl2 Necromancer;
Lvl1 Necromancer;

5 Wolves;
5 Wolves;
5 Wolves;

1 Spirit Host Base;
1 Spirit Hose Base;

2 Fell Bats;
2 Fell Bats;

5 Varghiests;
5 Varghiests;
7 Crypt Horrors;

30 Ghouls;
20 Skeletons; Banner
Corpse Cart;

Terrorghiest;
Terrorghiest;

I was pretty glad that this game was battle for the pass and so I castled in a corner hoping. This should stop his Vargs from flanking me all over the place, mitigate all the chaff he could throw in my way and mean I have longer to shoot those Terrors before they start screaming at me.

I go first, and for the first 2/3 turns my Hellcannons and 2 Pit of Shades all aiming at his Terrorghiests manage a grand total of 2 wounds from 1 of them. Not what I needed at all, then a Hellcannon proceeds to Raargh and mess up my castle. He picks apart that Hellcannon and his Terrorghiests screams kill off my Knights and other Hellcannon. My Knights killed a few dogs before they went.

His Vargs do fail a frenzy test whilst they are out of the generals range though and so charge my Marauders and get wiped out for their troubles, He wont engage my units and he picks up 12 points to my 8 overall.

Not too bad considering the build I was against which is a nightmare for Chaos anyway as they cant deal with all that chaff. If my Hellcannons and magic would have performed I think I could have took the win, they really should have killed those Terrorghiests.

Game 3:
Vampire Counts -

Same list again, this time by a guy who is top 5 in the country, Great lol.
To make matters worse it was the whole breaking point scenario which means I couldnt deploy in the corners and castle and that he got to start closer to me than usual. He also went first...

This game was a disaster, I lost my Knights turn 1 to screams. My Hellcannons did kill a Terrorghiest but then they got screamed to death. His remaining Terrorghiest actually got a double 6 for its scream 3 times in a row! killing a whole Hellcannon, 9 Chosen and 10 Warriors.

I did have a good chance to get some points back all I needed was for my Hellcannon to die sooner against Vargs but I kept passing 6+ saves so I couldnt charge in with my Tzeentch block and kill them. Glorious Rot did kill most of his Chaff though which was nice and the game ended with my Tzeentch block with Lord and BSB surrounded, charged in the flank by a Terrorghiest and the front by Crypt Horrors, I held on with both characters and my standard of my unit left and i took the terror down to a wound so got some points from it.

Still I lost this one 17-3.

So at the end of day 1 I was on 31 points. So I was averaging 10 points a game and sitting mid table, not too bad with what I had faced.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Thanks for the very neat WHFB rep.
Hope you don't mind I moved it, as I think it's good to see more like this, and I hope that Fantasy will keep strong even though 6th Ed is out and about now.

In any case, thanks for the writeups, and always good to see more.

Best,
-BT

P.S.  If you ever want to bring back your epic Eldar Batreps, that would be great to see, I always liked those :)
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3