News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

2S Tau Empire Codex - 6th Edition Restart

Started by Narric, July 13, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Well that's easy; overall, very little needs to change. Some point costs need to be altered, some rules need to be rewritten or scrapped altogether to bring the Codex into line with 6th, some wargear or abilities need to be replaced with USRs, and a Flyer needs to be included.

So, with the 'overall' bit done before we started, lets go back to specifics.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

midas

fine.
someone needs to take a lead on this if it is to become even mildly successful. this project needs a dedicated sub section in this forum as a start

Wargamer

No it doesn't. The best way to tank a project is to apply management. Managers exist only to fuck things up.

If you want it to succeed, find people who get things done, and then let them get on with it. Dra'tsuich-Novae managed to write an entire Corsair Codex just by asking for help from a few well-chosen people as and when required, and the result is a far better army than you see in most 'well organised' projects.

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

midas

Quote from: Wargamer on August 14, 2012, 09:44:01 PM
The best way to tank a project is to apply management. Managers exist only to y'xa'uk things up.
than it was the wrong lead(er)

Lord Sotek

His point is that the 'right leader' emerges naturally by dint of being whichever person ends up Getting Stuff Done. And that when you pick someone arbitrarily and say "No one else can Get Stuff Done without this guy's permission," you're squashing initiative by manufacturing extra red tape. All that does is hamper people's creativity, and cause the ones who could have Gotten Stuff Done to lose interest as a result.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Charistoph

Curiosity thought.  Should the Carbines gain the Blind rule instead of Pinning?  And/or the Photon Grenades?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Quote from: Charistoph on September 03, 2012, 06:38:19 AM
Curiosity thought.  Should the Carbines gain the Blind rule instead of Pinning?  And/or the Photon Grenades?
I've considered this myself.

My thoughts would be the Photon Grenades having the SR, while Carbines should have the ability to fire Grenades further. Say either upto 12" or maybe 15". I know I'm basing that on the game-canon of "Fire Warrior" but it might give people reason to take Carbines. And Think of your Pathfinders, equip them all with EMPs, and no armour would dare come near you.

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on September 03, 2012, 08:12:03 AM
Quote from: Charistoph on September 03, 2012, 06:38:19 AM
I've considered this myself.

My thoughts would be the Photon Grenades having the SR, while Carbines should have the ability to fire Grenades further. Say either upto 12" or maybe 15". I know I'm basing that on the game-canon of "Fire Warrior" but it might give people reason to take Carbines. And Think of your Pathfinders, equip them all with EMPs, and no armour would dare come near you.

Well the reason for the Pinning rule was that all the Carbines also had an underslung grenade launcher.  But if those grenades had the Blind rule, it would be doubly worth taking basic Gun Drones in any squad that could take them.

Now, if we could only "shoot" defensive grenades...  Bah, that wouldn't be hard to right in... 

OR replace it for every model with Photon Grenades and a Pulse Carbine...  Too clunky.

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Why not make Carbines work similarly to Combi-weapons? Why try invent our own rules when esisting ones can be reconfigured?

Considering the ability, I fthink we should keep the single shot (one use per game) in place, so non-tau players won't complain.

Going down this road, I think Carbines should then become Assault 2, no pinning, whilst the lunched Grenade's effect reflects what they are equipped with. So Blind if they're Photon, Haywire if they're EMP.

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on September 05, 2012, 04:30:08 PM
Why not make Carbines work similarly to Combi-weapons? Why try invent our own rules when esisting ones can be reconfigured?

Considering the ability, I fthink we should keep the single shot (one use per game) in place, so non-tau players won't complain.

Going down this road, I think Carbines should then become Assault 2, no pinning, whilst the lunched Grenade's effect reflects what they are equipped with. So Blind if they're Photon, Haywire if they're EMP.

So make the grenade part a 1 shot affair?  OR allow those with Carbines to 'throw' a grenade 12"?

Wargamer

I think Carbines being able to throw grenades 12" sounds good.

That said, how that applies to Photon grenades may depend on the wording of how Defensive Grenades work when 'thrown'.

Narric

Looking at the rulels for Def Grenades, they have no rules for when they are thrown, save for disallowing bonus attacks for charging.

We could remake Photon Grenades also. Giving them two sets of abilties. One for standard use, the other specifically for Carbine launcher use.

Wargamer

Defensive grenades do give a boost vs enemy shooting - if you're within 8" of the firer, you get Stealth. I'm thinking that you could boost that to 12" if the entire unit (read: Pathfinders) have Carbines.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Wargamer on September 06, 2012, 06:24:24 PM
Defensive grenades do give a boost vs enemy shooting - if you're within 8" of the firer, you get Stealth. I'm thinking that you could boost that to 12" if the entire unit (read: Pathfinders) have Carbines.
That would have to be quite expensive. You can fit a LOT of units in that 12" bubble after all. hell, you can fit quite a lot in the 8" bubble
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

Not too mention its probably 8"/12" around each model equipped, and taking advantage ot a dispursed unit, thats a bubble of between 17"-40" side to side, depending on model placement (assuming a single model, to a full squad of 8 Pathfinders)

And Wargamer, I interpreted what you said, as whether or not the Grenade had a Ranged profile, similar to a Frag Grenade. Hence the disconnect.

By the sounds of all this. Pathfinders may have to take a small Price up. But considering they may go down in other ways, perhapsit wouldn't be as steep...