News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Grey knights: Am I doing it wrong?

Started by Jonagon, February 21, 2013, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonagon

Hi guys!

I don't game a lot so I wondered if you can help me...

Scenario is as such:

5 grey knight terminators
- Nemesis Force Swords
- Massive Banner
- Psilencer

The grey knights charge 5 vanilla terminators with power fists. Every time the GK's bounce off the terminators.

So question is, am I doing something wrong (rules wise) or is that supposed to happen and it's just a dumb play? Cos I kinda figured GK terminators might be able to deal with 5 normal termies on the charge!  :facepalm001:

Railgun Convention

Considering Force Swords are pretty much useless against monowound, 2+ armour save Terminators, my answer is "Yes, you're doing it wrong". From a rough sketch of the math, you're looking at one dead regular terminator (on a good day, that is!), vs probably 2-3 dead of your own. And if they get a good hit roll, you're dead.

Do not underestimate the 2+ armour save. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am :P
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

You want something like the Power Axe. And if they have Storm Shields you are still going to suffering.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Quote from: Jonagon on February 21, 2013, 10:59:47 PM
Hi guys!

I don't game a lot so I wondered if you can help me...

Scenario is as such:

5 grey knight terminators
- Nemesis Force Swords
- Massive Banner
- Psilencer

The grey knights charge 5 vanilla terminators with power fists. Every time the GK's bounce off the terminators.

So question is, am I doing something wrong (rules wise) or is that supposed to happen and it's just a dumb play? Cos I kinda figured GK terminators might be able to deal with 5 normal termies on the charge!  :facepalm001:

1. Give them halbreds to up them to int 6
2. Take Inquisitor, Tech Marine, Grand Master, or Brother Chaplian and at least take rad grenades, the psychoke grenades is over kill. This lowers terms toughness allowing you to wound on 3s.
3. Use hammerhand with rad which means you wound on 2s.

This layout should kill any, but storm shield terms. If you dish out 24 attacks that's 16 hits and 14 wounds. That would kill 10 normal terms or 4 almost 5 storm shield terms.

Going with the extra attack is rather expensive and is an silly upgrade. If you got +2 it would be good and +1 I rather save points or get +2 int.

Oh I forgot about the nerf. Yeah I say get force axes if you can or deamonhammers.

Arguleon-veq

Your supposed to lose that matchup, with that loadout.

You should never go with all swords though and the psilencer is poor. The banner is a great option.

If you swap 2 or 3 swords with hammers, you win when you charge. You get a better invun save in combat as you always take the first wounds on the swords. Your getting way more attacks thanks to the banner and the swords can even cut one down before they get to strike.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Jonagon

Ok thanks very much guys!

Looks like it's a bit of both, I'm supposed to lose that matchup, but I'm also not using everything I have.

I was not:

a) Using Hammerhand for an extra +1 to my wound rolls
b) Using the banner for extra attacks

It's going to be a long slow journey back into 40k!

Chicop76

Quote from: Jonagon on February 22, 2013, 02:26:39 PM
Ok thanks very much guys!

Looks like it's a bit of both, I'm supposed to lose that matchup, but I'm also not using everything I have.

I was not:

a) Using Hammerhand for an extra +1 to my wound rolls
b) Using the banner for extra attacks

It's going to be a long slow journey back into 40k!

Also a ward staff is not a bad ideal. If on char he will he a +2 invul in combat.