News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Theocratic Heresy Gameplay Thread

Started by InsaneTD, August 25, 2013, 09:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsaneTD

The three men stood in the large room, sizing each other up. Though they were deep inside the ship, the large view screen was projecting the view from the Stem of the large vessel. It was heading towards the large orbital hanging above the planet. The ship had been a month in warp since it's last stop above a Forge World, though they hadn't seen each other before the servitors led them to this room. It was a large one. A briefing room for the officers in this section of the ship. A well appointed tea service was sitting against one wall, with a large table in the centre of the room and a podium to one side of the view screen.

The view screen flickered before showing information on the system they were approaching. It was an unusual planet. No polar ice caps, shallow oceans instead. The oceans gave way to mangrove swamps, then jungles. The equator ringed in mountains. There was one city on the planet, not quite a hive spire but well on it's way to being one. There wasn't anything special about the planet itself, it was just a good point for the Mechanicus and the Navy to anchor orbital bases. The Mechanicus in the vast amounts of mineral wealth in the system, the Navy using it as a mothball facility for it's sector reserves.

The door next to the view screen opened and a young officer walks in, "Good, you're all here. The briefing will start soon then you'll have time to study all the information before we dock with the orbital. While you wait for the briefing to start, help yourselves to Caff or anything else from the service and talk between yourselves." Having said his he nodded once then left through the door he entered.

Planet info
Pântano do Corvo (Death World [Jungle/Mangrove])
Gravity               1.25G
Climate              Tropical
Landmass          68%
Water                32%
Satellites           3 Natural, 40 (8 Major, 32 Minor) Artificial

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Jaspar helped himself to caffeine while he waited, it was bound to be better than the usual ration crap and he decided he may as well make the most of it while it lasted.

As he poured he made a point to never entirely turn his back on either the other 2 men or the doorway, an old habit, but a useful one at that. He didn't like ships. Too much metal. Some good solid stone would make him feel more comfortable. Jaspar was very much a "boonts on the ground" solider. Flying and void travel were necessary at times, but if there was another way he'd gladly take it.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Mabbz

Nefarian lowered himself into his seat with a little difficulty; a few of his mechanical parts had a tenency to get in the way. Once he had sat down, he properly looked at the other two. A soldier and a mystic, from the looks of them. He wasn't especially interested in them. He had been summoned for a job of some sort, and he would perform that job to the best of his abilities. He has dealt with guardsmen before and learnt that there was no such thing as a typical guardsman, so he reserved judgement on the man. As for the psyker... he had no interest in the powers of the warp. His calling was scientific. The chaotic nature of the warp made a mockery of science, so he did his best to ignore it. If the psyker proved useful, they would likely get along fine.

The Man They Call Jayne

Janas stood silently and stoicly. He rarely spoke and usually only to his master of the moment when addressed. He found meditation to be of the most benefit when not working. He was here to prove himself once again, a recent injury on a mission had left him with far less control over his power than he used to have, and so he was limited to only the most basic skills his craft allowed. No matter though, he would build his control again and unlock his full potential once more.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"So. A Mechanicum adept, a psyker and a soldier. What's the betting we're being sent to the local carnival as a reward for our services to the Throne?" asked Jaspar sarcastically.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Mabbz

"About as likely as our host making a joke when he gets here" Nefarian replied with a shrug. He was looking over the information on the view screen. The planet they were heading for was classified as a death world, but none of the local threats that would warrant such a classification were listed. He examined the screen to see if he could bring up more information.

InsaneTD

Nefarian quickly realised the view screen was a basic model and only showed data from another source, moving over to the podium he quickly found the controls and looked through the data available. He quickly found info on tithe rates for both the planet and system, how many ships were mothballed for the sector reserve, how many people lived on the 8 major orbitals. Even the name of the Ecclesiarch's favourite alter boy, Byron, yet he couldn't find any data on the planets hazards. The sole entry on the planets fauna and flora simply contained; [=I= Redacted=I=]. Not even date of when the data was redacted. After spending ten minutes at the podium he gave up and moved to sit back down.

After waiting and chatting for a while, the group turned when they heard the door open, the young officer, a lieutenant, standing in the hall seeming to have a one sided argument, "I can't give the briefing, I know nothing about their mission. ... Well how am I supposed to answer their questions about the mission? ... I don't even know anything about this Throne Damned backwaahhh!" At which point he stumbles into the room, seemingly pushed by someone in the hallway, a servitor following, the door shutting behind it.

Quickly regaining his balance and composure, the lieutenant moves and stands behind the podium, clearing his throat he begins to speak, "My superiors have seen fit to send me to conduct this briefing, please keep all questions to the end of the briefing and we'll get this done so you can prepare for your mission." Looking down at the podium, he adjusts several controls and brings up a list of addresses, "Ok, this seems to be the briefing... Um... It just seems to be a set of addresses.. Uh, this is the Administratum building, and that seems to be a hotel... Uhhh.... I don't know what these last two are.... I think that seems to be it... Oh, right, this servitor has some extra equipment for each of you. So um... Any questions?"

Mabbz

"Any idea why your superiors aren't giving us proper intel?" asked Nefarian as he wandered over to the servitor to check on his new equipment.

The Man They Call Jayne

"What are we to accomplish at these locations? That is all that matters."

The psyker headed over to the servitor to recieve his extra equipment.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"I thought you said we wouldn't get a joke?" Jaspar replied. This was nothing new, he was well used to working on limited information, as were all guardsmem. But this was a whole new level.

"So, what do we do in this mission? What's our target?" he aimed at the lieutenant.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

InsaneTD

The lieutenant's eyes glazed over for a few seconds before answering, "Well I don't know why they aren't giving any more info, they won't tell me. As for what you are supposed to do, well that is simple. Investigate. One is where accommodation has been arranged, there is a contact in the Administratum that is supposed to help you, the other two are to be investigated. This equipment is just basics that are supposed to help you coordinate your actions. There is also an armoury on the Orbital we are going to dock at. I suggest you get anything else you think you might need there." Waiting a moment before continuing, "Oh, I suggest you go back to your rooms and gather your gear. We will be docking in 2 standard hours, where you will be transferring to it. You will then be shuttled down to only city on the entire planet." With that he quickly turns and leaves the room.

Extra Gear/OOC

Each of you get a Backpack, Chrono, and enough ammo to bring you up to three full mags/clips. There is also a Micro-bead for each of you who doesn't have one and upgrades for those that do, new encryption and frequencies. There is also a basic data-slate that is only good for reading what's loaded on it. In this case the addresses and a small note.

Note
You have each been chosen to take part in a set of special operations. If you successfully complete this first investigation you will be helping me with something much more important. Your contact in the Administratum is Castella Omfridus. The Hab unit key will be waiting for you at the spaceport, just ask if there is a package for Dariel at the customs office. Any other contacts or sources you may need you are expected to develop yourselves.

-Tarquinius Dionysius

Edit: Minor update

Two hours after the ship finally docked with the Orbital, the three were finally allowed to transfer across. A guide was provided by the Navy to take them around the station, including to the Q-Store so they could requisition any additional equipment they might need.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Is this it?" Jaspar asked. "If we're going in blind we'll need more than this. Heavy weapons are out of the question from the sounds of things and frankly, going in this blind I'm not sure I'd like the extra weight, but I at least need a pistol, preferably an autopistol, silenced if possible." He thought for a moment and then added: "And a couple of grenades wouldn't go amiss either. Just in case, you understand."

(In work so no access to the roller sadly. :( )

Post edited to take into account GM's post below.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

InsaneTD

OOC: No one has said to be subtle and you'll have all your normal equipment, this is just a chance to pick up stuff that might be useful, the restrictions are just the Navy following a request while giving the middle finger to the requester. (Plus I don't like the odds of you somehow rolling a critical pass for attempting to get an autocannon or lascannon)

Mabbz

Cybernetic interface port (69, failed)
Cybernetic auger array (88, failed)
Recoil glove (48, failed)

Nefarian pondered over the message for a moment. An investigation? That, to him, implied searching for clues and questioning people. He immediately began asking around for various cybernetic systems to aid him, but came up empty handed. He also realise that working for an inquisitor was likely to be dangerous, but his attempts to get a recoil glove for his hand cannon were equally unsuccessful. Eventually, he gave up on Q-Store. They just didn't have anything he wanted.

InsaneTD

After waiting an extra hour on the Orbital due to a unfortunate incident involving a certain Guardsman and Navy Security in the Q-Store, the Shuttle departed from the station. It was a fairly standard design used all over the Imperium for VIP transfers, capable of descending to a planet and reaching orbit again, it quickly passed through the upper atmosphere descending to the only city on the planet. The Spaceport had originally been built first, on a platform above the northern polar sea. The City of Corvo had grown up underneath the platform, creating the beginnings of a Hive City. The beginnings of construction could be seen on the far side of facility as the shuttle landed next to a passenger terminal, a small building usually only used by Administratum Officials.

After grabbing their luggage, the three soon found the office the note pointed them too, Looking at the other two, the Guardsman quickly decided he better do the talking and spoke to the man behind the counter. He quickly got the package and even managed to organise some transport, though he had to offer the Customers Officer some Lho-Sticks before he would be helpful.

The trip to the Hab-unit was short and they quickly moved their luggage inside. The unit taking up the entire top floor of the building it was in, having 6 bedrooms, though only one was a double with the rest being singles with double bunks and basic lockers. The main living area had a decent entertainment unit and enough couches to seat 8 around it with a large table and a well equipped though utilitarian Kitchen. All in all, not a cheap unit in such a space poor city.

While everyone was settling into the Unit, the intercom from the buildings door buzzed, Janas being closest to the intercom quickly answered it, "Who's there?"
"I'm looking for Dariel." Quickly came back, to which he replied, "I don't know a Dariel." Nefarian quickly pushed Janas out the way and and buzzed the door open telling the Intercom, "Dariel has stepped out but you can come up and wait for him." He then turned to the perplexed Pyromancer and said, "Dariel was the name we had to give to get the keys to this Hab. Who ever it is might know more about what's going on."

Not long after there was a knock at the door which Jasper quickly answered, letting a short and wiry member of the Priesthood inside. "Who are you?"

OOC
Mkoll, did some rolling for equip for you, You have an Autopistol W/2 Clips of ammo, A Frag Grenade (didn't realise how easy these are to get) and a Photon Flash. You critical failed rolling for a suppressor and you had to spend an hour chatting with Navy Security to convince them you weren't some kind of Criminal. You also used three Lho-Sticks to get the officials help.

And that would be Rarity's chance to introduce himself.