News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

New Base Sizes & Shield of Baal: Deathstorm campaign set

Started by Sorck, November 29, 2014, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

I know it's not the most exciting of news but it looks like GW is moving to having a greater variety of base sizes  - we are going to see a 32mm base size. It's being introduced in Shield of Baal: Deathstorm for the Death Company. The fex also comes with a 105mm oval base and the broodlord a 75mm oval base - I'm not sure if these are currently standard bases or not, the former might be the Trygon base?

There's also a 32mm base pack on GW's website, though if you click on it it throws up an error. The Death Company is no longer possible to find by itself, either. Though the sets containing it are still around. Fex's are still on the website with the usual base (at least that's the case on the pictures).

And , more interestingly, Shield of Baal: Deathstorm is up for preorder. By the time most people read this it will have been withdrawn from sale I would think as it's a limited release. It's £75 and contains 3 Tyranid warriors, 1 Carnifex, 8 stealers, 1 special edition Broodlord plus a terminator captain, 5 terminators, 5 death company and a death company dreadnought. If that wasn't enough then it also contains a copy of the rules (special BA cover) and a campaign booklet with rules for all of the models contained in the box.

So the set looks to be pretty good value (the nids alone would cost more than the box set to buy separately, taking the cost of the normal broodlord).

Sorck

Narric

I honetly didn't notice the new base sixe until someone on BoW mentoned it. I personally do like the look, as it sort of implies forward motion, or depending on the posing of the model, can imply firmly standing your ground.

Bases aside, I do believe its good value for money.Terminators, Dreadnoughts and Carnfiex are all easily more then £25 each, and the boxset unique minis I'm sure are equally good value and a goldmind for converters.

Deraj

I think, oddly enough, the new bases add a little balance to the actual game. With larger bases you can't fit as many space marines into combat at once.

That said from a hobby standpoint I dislike it, as large as they are it would be too tempting to do too much work on the base, drawing attention away from the model itself.

The new broodlord is pretty awesome as well.

Jonagon

Quote from: Deraj on December 02, 2014, 06:29:57 PM

That said from a hobby standpoint I dislike it, as large as they are it would be too tempting to do too much work on the base, drawing attention away from the model itself.

People can do that with small bases though, it's nice to have the option to do more surely?

Deraj

Quote from: Jonagon on December 02, 2014, 11:27:16 PM

Quote from: Deraj on December 02, 2014, 06:29:57 PM

People can do that with small bases though, it's nice to have the option to do more surely?

We're on the internet, I have to complain about something :P