News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Ork Rumours: Bring your salt!

Started by BigToof, March 22, 2014, 02:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi all,
There's some Ork rumours floating around.  The following is from the Faeit 212 site, which is... sometimes accurate in varying amounts.  I think the following is probably not totally accurate, but if there's any hint to how the Orks are going to turn out...  They could be pretty fun.

Best,
-BT
=========================================================

Waaagh! is now old Fleet. So move, run and assault in the same turn.
Power Klaws are double strength, AP1

Orks
Still have the Mob and Furious Charge rules
Orks now have 6+ FNP
Each unit now has Waaagh! points
Waaagh! charge now per unit, not per army.
Sluggas generate 1 Waaagh! point for each turn in combat
Shootas generate 1 point for each unit kill with shooting
Waaagh points also generated from every 3 units of 10+ models (unsure of this one)
Mega Armour now has Deepstrike rule

Boyz
Unit gets 2pts cheaper and weapons are now upgrades.
Choppas are AP6. +1str AP4 on charge. Cost 1pt each
Shootas cost 2pts each
Big Choppas now +2str AP4. AP3 on charge

Lootas
Deffguns are now options
Unit is now cheaper and has more options for weapons
Gains new rule: Loot
- If in base-to-base contact with a destroyed vehicle, they can fire one of its weapons. Not clarified if per turn or per game.

Flash Gitz
Weapons now have random range instead of random AP
New range is 12 + 3D6". Triple 1 on range causes Overheat
Weapon upgrade options include +1Bs, +1 Attack, Blast, Skyfire

Stormboyz
Can now assault Fliers
Must move 18" on movement if charging a flier

Grots
Whole bunch of Grot units, including Grot Buggies, Whirlybirds, Rokkits and Snotlings
Grot Boss unit – has same stats as an Ork Boy with +1Bs

Gretchin
Now separate from Grots
Units of up to 20, 2pts per model
Has an upgrade called Control Collars: basically, bomb collars that explode when the unit fails Leadership. Think alternative for Runtherders

Weirdboyz
Now have a warp powers table; either Divination, Gork or Mork
Use Waaagh! points for powers
Waaagh points also contribute to Weirdboy's death. When he dies, casts "Eadbanga" on himself. More points means bigger and more powerful explosions

Bomb squigs now can be taken as units
Includes more options. Can have upgrades for more powerful explosions or melta

Due to Waaagh! changes, Ghaz has 3 Waaaghs! Not sure if armywide or distributed to units
Killa Kanz to Elites – may require Grot boss

NEW UNITS
New unit of Warlord Nobz, can be taken as HQ. One Nob is the Warlord. On death, another Nob is the Warlord. Must kill entire unit for the kill
Possible mek tanks with upgrades
- Upgrades including a KFF and a SAG that shoots bomb squigs – if they miss you place a bomb squig
SAG and Flakk guns might be taken as Big Gunz unit
Halftrakk unit called Gutripper
Multi-wound Squiggoth-like beast

Supplements
Goffs and Blood Axes first
Blood Axes can allow Kommandos as troops and can ally with Guardsmen

NEW BOXES
Snapfit mekboy and weirdboy?
Deffkopta kit
Cybork body parts box
Combi Flash Gitz/Tankbustas box
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Mabbz

Some interesting stuff there. I really hope lootas aren't getting cheaper, those things are a big enough pain as it is. I really doubt the thing about Ap1 power klaws though. Their rules are in the current main rulebook, so I doubt they'll change it.

The Man They Call Jayne

The idea of a unit of Nobs as a single HQ unit is interesting. Makes sense too.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

salamut2202

Oooh, I'm curious in how WAAAGH! works.

CoffeeGrunt

I don't think you'll get Run + Charge. We had this rumour with Nids, and GW seem intent on making this impossible. The AP boosts on the charge are also a bit unprecedented, so that sounds iffy as well.

Charging Fliers just doesn't seem like it'll happen either. Weirdboys getting Divination would be horrible given Orks' volume of shooting, Prescience would be an auto-take every time.

I've been wary of rumours lately, as they never seem to become more than wishlisting until a week before release. Not to mention that these rumours were apparently posted on BoLS back in November.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

Eldar being able to run and shoot or shoot and run was unprecidented.

There is a first time for everything.

And it does fit the character of the army.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on March 24, 2014, 12:28:03 PM

Didn't (Dark) Eldar have the ability to do just that in 2nd edition? It was a racial SR iirc.

SILK

Quote from: Narric on March 24, 2014, 12:31:33 PM

Didn't (Dark) Eldar have the ability to do just that in 2nd edition? It was a racial SR iirc.

Pretty much in the same way that all elves in fantasy now have ASF in 8th ed fantasy, yeah. I highly doubt that they will be wanting to actually go ahead and make an assault army actually viable in 6th edition. We thought that the nids were going to seriously revamp the game and most people have just simply laughed them off without too much of an effort. However, there IS a first time for everything as you say. Would love to see my boyz as a viable source of assault in this edition of the game as im close to shelving them in the competitive scene at the moment.

BigToof

Quote from: SILK on March 24, 2014, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: Narric on March 24, 2014, 12:31:33 PM

Pretty much in the same way that all elves in fantasy now have ASF in 8th ed fantasy, yeah. I highly doubt that they will be wanting to actually go ahead and make an assault army actually viable in 6th edition. We thought that the nids were going to seriously revamp the game and most people have just simply laughed them off without too much of an effort. However, there IS a first time for everything as you say. Would love to see my boyz as a viable source of assault in this edition of the game as im close to shelving them in the competitive scene at the moment.

SILK!
Nice to see you back!

I know that this is probably wish-listing, but part of me goes... WHAT IF.
Assault needs some kind of a boost in 6th, and if they can do it with Orks, then well, it'll be Green Tide all over again!
Heavens knows we could use it.

Well... not the Eldar and Tau, but... you know what I mean!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

SILK

The problem that I can see is what will games workshop do to actually make assault a part of the game rather than something that just happens every now and again? I totally agree that the game shouldn't be just focused on assault (we have fantasy for that!) but I think they've taken it a step too far in the wrong direction. Taking a cue from fantasy would be nice. Whilst it is a combat based game armies are still more than useable whilst focusing on the shooting phase. But 40k seems to have forgotten about that, can't remember the last time I actually worried about a unit of khorne berzerkers.

But if they don't inject some assault into the game with the Ork codex, then who will take up the mantle for assault focused players who like it up close and personal?

BigToof

Exactly right!

There's been rumours that GW is thinking about putting out a 6.5 edition that will allow consolidation into assault.
I would personally love that, but I would like it more if they offered something like suppressive fire, or something else that would mitigate shooting with shooting or some other mechanic.  Right now, there's just too many barriers to assault.

Random Charge so your're not sure if you're within range, but your enemy can tell if you're out of range.

Overwatch, so even if you are "in range" you might not be.

Fleet and assault out of vehicles nerfed pretty hard, so you can't assault as far even if you are in a decent transport...

I actually think letting WAAAARGH! let Orks run and assault would really tip things, but if they are limited by some kind of mechanism, it might be worth it.  Bubblewrapping might come back in style?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Kur'os

I'm very hopeful for the bomb squig unit.  Sounds like it would be fun.  ^ ^

Though I can't deny I've a wishlist; as long as I can still run a Dred Mob list, I'll be happy.

-Kur'os

Will's on Fire

Quote from: BigToof on March 25, 2014, 11:30:11 PM
I actually think letting WAAAARGH! let Orks run and assault would really tip things, but if they are limited by some kind of mechanism, it might be worth it.  Bubblewrapping might come back in style?

Best,
-BT

To be fair, just letting orks multi assault and still get furious charge benefits would be great. Str 4 instead of 3 really makes a difference.

- Will

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

No it wasn't, Tyranids can do it if they cast Onslaught on a unit. ;)

As for the old Fleet fitting with the army, it fits with Tyranids just as well and even more so with Dark Eldar, but 'Nids don't have it and Dark Eldar almost certainly won't either.

Stormboyz can attack fliers? So why can't Gargoyles, Assault Marines/Raptors, Swooping Hawks?

And yeah, Orks with Divination should be a huge no-no.

The Loota rule makes sense though, but ultimately won't be used enough to make much difference I don't think.

I do like the idea of the grot buggies etc though. Should cause a bit more variety in Ork armies which should be fun.

All told, some interesting stuff but for the most part it seems more wish-listy than actual rumours.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on March 30, 2014, 01:02:07 PM
No it wasn't, Tyranids can do it if they cast Onslaught on a unit. ;)
Nid Onslaught is an extra step to take, rather than in inate ability.

As for the old Fleet fitting with the army, it fits with Tyranids just as well and even more so with Dark Eldar, but 'Nids don't have it and Dark Eldar almost certainly won't either.
Wasn't the nid codex written by someone else? I doupt the two codexi would have been playtested against eachother and Its an even bigger stretch to assume the writers had the idea for Run & Assault special Rules whilst writing. Maybe the Nid writer was more Shooty in mind, and the Ork more combat?

Stormboyz can attack fliers? So why can't Gargoyles, Assault Marines/Raptors, Swooping Hawks?
See previous statement :P