News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tyranid Rumors (Summary on Page 3!)

Started by Begel Dverl, August 21, 2013, 07:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Could easily be some bitz box bashing and some Green Stuff magic. We'd need more angles to get a better impression.

Begel Dverl

There used to be a picture on 4chan when this popped out that showed the possible bits the Design team could have used.

But, look at the legs on the one on the furthest left. Much more exposed muscle then on the current warriors. And the Middle warrior has those spore exhaust thingies along his back.

Begel Dverl

Most sources point to a January Codex release for Tyranids with several dual plastic kits.

The release seems to consist of:

Harpy (plus variant) 62.50 €
Hive Guard Box 45.50 €
Haruspex (plus shooty version) 57.50 €
Warrior Box 45.50 €
Plus some repackaging. No plastic or finecast clamshells. No Finecast models at all in this wave at least.

Seems there is indeed a pic of the new Tyranid Warriors hidden in the new Escalation book (photo taken by Tetrisphreak):

You see a tyranid Prime with boneswords, unknown small adrenalin gland, funnels on the back, blades on the shoulder.
Also the warriors are full of biomorphs, pointing at an increased role of those in the Codex.

Here an earlier leaked pic of the Hive Guard:

More pics are expected next week:
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerI would expect many leaked pictures of the new tyranid models in the next week.

Can't say anything else ( I gave my word), but it is quite, quite a show also for Tyranid veterans with some nice suprises here and there.

Search my older posts before you question my reliability.
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerSome prices are sick (almost dropped from a chair seeing one), but mostly worth the price increase saving money spent for bits - much like with the Space Marine release.

I'd start gathering money (not so easy in December, I know) because there are many 'must buys' in the release.
QuoteI'd be betting on a clamshell prime as the 'generic' hq option for Nids rather than a recut warrior box with prime options
It is not a clamshell plastic pack.
Quote from: TetrisphreakWarriors are already overpriced at $47 for 3 models. If they get a new box with wings, swords, new weapons, and a prime option expect them to see a $65 box akin to crisis suits.
Don't worry it is not going to happen.
It is more like with the new tactical SM squad where the new box wasn't much more expensive.
I suppose they are going to get more profit from the quantity of the boxes every Tyranid player will have to buy.

Added 8th December:
Spoiler
New (probably made up) BOLS rumours:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/567025.page#6322156
Quote from: Endobai over at Warseer
Quote from: brassangelPer BoLS, so take with salt:
Yep, that is a good idea. Half of it is completely wrong, mistaken or just slightly off the mark.
But hell, there could be a second wave so untill the codex is there it is not certain.

Can't say if the rules are, though - again as long as the codex is not released.

EDIT: Also, what the hell, expect a dataslate with the release. Nothing unexpected something like this appears I realise, but it will apparently give another option to create an army.
3rd edition players will notice some similarity between it and one evil, sickly powerful army list from a decade ago; though I seriously hope it will be only representing similar idea, but without the rules almost every non-Tyranid player hated back then.
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerOk, that is easy and spoils nothing. No author named.

Apparently right now it is a work of the entire team, but no real suprise here either with rumours about shared work circulating for a while...

Anyway I fully expect some images in next 6 days. As usual first probably something blurry, made by an old mobile phone camera from a wrong angle so that people can discuss how utterly ugly it is and they will never buy it.

I dislike one release from the Tyranid wave, but the rest seems fine or better than fine.
And the cover of the codex is all right, though could probably be better.
QuoteThe data slate- when I read up on the original Mycetic spore list I think it was more just the deployment type of it- plus it was cool as it represented a specific stage of a tyrannid invasion- so good flavour fluff wise but I wouldn't want anything overpowered - it's just not fun to fight against.
The early invasion theme is still here, but this time without "drop a brood of Genestealers on their heads and see them kill everybody" mode.

Added 9th December:
Spoiler
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerI had to find the Tyranid codex and more important had to work for a couple of hours, too addicted to things such was food, drink and shelter to ignore this need. I am no Tyranid player so I wanted to have the codex in sight not to make any mistakes people will in turn mistake for something else.

It is still too early to say too much - hardly enjoyable to be in the spotlight shining like the Astronomican for the Hive Fleets...
I can only say maybe 20% of what I know for now. Soon images should start appearing in the web so it will be possible to comment on some of them.

Warriors

In my opinion definetely the centerpiece of the release. Much like the Tactical squad for the Marine codex they are something every Tyranid player - new or veteran - will have to buy.
The box includes all or almost all weapon options the Warrior entry in the current (still the current) codex has + something really nice. Still don't expect all your wishes to come true. Remember it is no more than three infantry sprues in the box.

The unit's cost.
It depends on the cost of wargear and what special rules give them - namely what Synapse Creature gives them in the new codex. Right now I can see no meaningful point decrease. Still troops though.

Tervigon

Still troops, but comes with 'the Gaunt tax' to occupy the slot. Gaunts are cheaper so it helps a little.

Much depends on the new psychic powers the Tyranids get because it remains a psycher with randomly generated powers so unlike some psychers in the new tyranid codex.

The Big Bug

It is big, but not that big. Remember that the Wraithknight and Eldar models in general are smooth and do not have so many limbs, vents, horns, bio-guns etc so making something as large as the Eldar fellow would create something really, really expensive - definetely in titan price range. The big bug is thankfully cheaper.

The creature is taken from the Epic 40k, but the difference in size is not so ridiculously... pronounced, but it is large enough.

Ohh and the instinctive behaviour list is expanded - with entirely new modes some creatures will take when separated from the Hive Mind.
(Added via edit:)

Tyrant Guard too got something new, a weapon upgrade they will find really useful.
Quote from: VhalyarCheers Endobai. Whether these rumors end up correct or not, at the very least they're interesting enough to be the only reason to visit this thread currently
My source is solid.

QuoteI don't suppose you'd care to elaborate a bit on what the big bug's role is? There's not exactly a lot of roles left to fill out in the Tyranid army except "like
  • but bigger!" which is... boring, so I'm curious of it goes in a completely different direction.
Nope I'd rather not do that yet. But you'll easily find out when it is finally shown or its name is leaked - a direct transition from Epic 40k.

Quote from: RedemptionThanks for the info Endobai, much appreciated! Do you have any clue whether or not the new Warrior box will include wings to make Shrikes?
Warrior entry options seem covered, but Shrikes are a diffrent entry... cannot say for sure but with so many options in the set I doubt there is any space left...

Instinctive behaviour - clarification

As I was afraid it was misunderstood (yes I see you H.B.M.C.).
Modes stay, so if something lurks it doesn't feed.

But there are more modes than just those two.

Psychic powers

One set of 7 powers, but some creatures do not roll, but get something specific and it doesn't have to be the Primaris.
QuoteFirst off cheers for all this! Good tidings are finally coming our way indeed. Glad tervigons are still troops cause I got three of the mommas painted up and would hate only being able to field one or two.

I find your warrior comments interesting and a bit distressing as right now I only have 4 of them. You seem to be implying that they are going to be the best unit in the new codex or at least the center piece that hold the army together. Anything that you can expand on?

Can you please expand on the psychic powers comment? That has me a bit nervous as I am really enjoying the psychic powers offered to me in the rulebook. Enfeeble and endurance are just fantastic... will we still have access to these powers?
The poster below was spot on. The Warriors are a new set, the last one was from 2001 so it is as with the Tacticals who got reinvented, multi-optional new sprues. Cool, useful, but they are not super-killy. Can easily be made the core of the army and have access to very many weapon options so good value for money too.

Psychic powers

I doubt they will remove the access, so far nothing suggests it.
QuotePersonally I read his comment as written from a model-design/aesthetic point of view, not refering to rules/ codex-role. Just my 2cents.
Thank you.
(...)
Don't know what Synapse Creature gives them in the new book.
That is pretty much the most important thing here and I am sadly unable to verify it.
Quote from: Terrorfex over at Warseer+++++++++++ MAJOR UPDATE +++++++++++

Behold brothers and sisters, I have more evidence than you can handle Today we thought of kidding around with games Workshop and since my local dealer has a pretty good relationship with its GW Area Distributor we thought about try to include 3 Boxes of Plastic Hive Guard alongside the other products he needs to order. What started as a little joke ended up with a massive info leak. I was standing next to my dealer while he phoned, the speaker were turned on and this is what I heard with my own ears:

We: Hi XXX, we wanted to make an order
GW: Ok we can put the stuff in the package for this thursday
We: *name all the normal products*
GW: Ok I have managed your oder
We: ah and I saw a box of Hive Guards in the net - I want three of those aswell
GW: Haha yeah leaked pictures - and you know that. You need to wait till january
We: Does that mean we finally see bids in jan?
GW: Yeah, preorder around new year
We: can you give me some information or is this super secret?
GW: Yeah I can - we will inform the stores pretty soon anyway
We: Do you play bids, too or have any idea behind it?
GW: *searches Data* no not really, I rarely play
We: Ah ok
GW: here is what is in our system: a Harpyie for 62,50€, Hive Guards for 45,50€ . Haruspex for 57,50€ and a warrior box for 45,50€ .
We: No Drop Pod?
GW: Apparently not
We: Hmmm strange - I thought they would finally release one.
GW: This is pure speculation but I think I heard that the drop pod is no longer in the codex. this new creature is a transport thing
We: Cool, no chars, fine cast or clamshells?
GW: No just the things I just said, thats all.
We: Cool, can you tell me anything else?
GW: No - thats all
We: Ok Thanks

OK WE HAVE:
Tyranids in Jan
Harpyie 62,50
Schwarmwachen 45,50
Haruspex 57,50
Krieger Box 45,50.
Translates into:
Tyranids in January
Harpy 62.50 €
Hive Guard Box 45.50 €
Haruspex 57.50 €
Warrior Box 45.50 €
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerHeh, so it is out.

I can safely say something more.

All those sets allow construction of another unit, also the Haruspex which can be assembled as... another creature from Epic 40k.

Hive Guards got another weapon option which can be seen on the leaked image.
The weapon is electricity based. No doubt inspired by Teslas, but I have no idea if it works in a similar way.

Tyrant Guards are very lovely. My most favourite models in the release combining what is the best in the 3rd and 4th metal models.
Several weapon options just like with the warriors.

I think that they got those new 50 mm bases. I was mistaken in the past with the SM Centurions so forgive me if I commit another once again.

Haruspex is damn ugly so you will recognise it immediatelly, but its 'twin' is actually really nice looking MC.

Harpy's 'brother' is not called Eridne/however it was called in those rumours.
QuoteAny insights into Hormagaunts?
Cheaper and faster. Think of Slaaneshi Daemons.
QuoteAny info on Lictors?
Nothing except that they appear in the dataslate.

Of course nothing speaks like autonomous, scout, vanguard creature like a model which after landing realises how alone it is, how scary the world is and that everyone wants to kill it - so I hope it regains at least its autonomy. Rather safe bet in my opinion.
QuoteI don't think anyone here has asked yet (wonder why...) but what about rippers? The vanguard of my skittering horde, well a comic relief at least. Hopefully The Parasite will get a model, that would be awesome to see rippers burst from the chests of guardsmen.
If I see it right got more expensive, but are no longer suicidal.
QuoteJust a query Endobai, is the alternative weapon for the Hive Guard an Anti Air weapon?
I doubt it is judging from the description, but cannot disprove that entirely.
Quotea tidbit on genestealers?
Seem the same, but Broodlord has a fixed psychic power (no rolls) and full access to biomorphs - there is a list of those much like with wargear for other armies in other books.
QuoteNot going to push what the optional build is gonna be, I'm more intrigued about you calling it ugly. You mean "bad" ugly, yes?
It looks... it looks like it ate too much. Have no idea how much painting can improve it...
QuoteOh, and so is it true that the spores are out of the Codex?
No trace of them so far.
QuoteSurely they aren't just getting 4 bulky kits, right?
No clamshells. Perhaps a second wave, wouldn't be that weird, but mind their production capacity when it comes to plastic models is limited. Jes Goodwin said something about it when was asked about Jetbikes.

The are some repackages, though. More models in some boxes (so no Dire Avenger rip off), but don't remember how the prices will change in comparison.
Quote from: BigRed from BOLSThe total release contains 9 new kits, 3 clamshells. ZERO Finecast.
Unless there is a second wave they are wrong again.

Off the mark when it comes to some rules as well and I am not sure if the rumours are on target with the rest either.

Whatever I'll use what I know for sure.

Just to make a summary:

There are definetely those four sets named in the phone call in Germany.
Dual sets (one, lets say, is half-dual), so four MCs including three new beasties.

There are also other boxes, but re-packs/army sets.

No clamshell.

If there is a second wave perhaps those will include such things, but I have no way to see that far in the future. Still more than a month to the release of the book so will will find out when it comes.
QuoteSeems as if there's got to be a second wave on the horizon. There's simply too much stuff left without a model or in Finecast.
Possible, but tell that to the Eldar Aspect Warriors.

Although there is a lot of finecast in use bear in mind there are other releases coming almost every month and all of them will get new sets.
Not sure if that adds anything to my information, but I spoke to Kelly on GD about Banshees and he definetely suggested that things like that although important will wait for some time. There are not that many armies left to be adjusted to the 6th edition after all.

And this edition stays for a while - too many FW 2nd edition books, the massive Horus Heresy series, the super-fast release rate for 40k we have not seen in the past... some units/models have to wait and while I would wish you a very fast transition from failcast it is not certain.

Added 10th December:
Spoiler
Quote from: Endobai over at WarseerAll in one go, but do not expect the yesterday level of rumour throwing. I still need time to work you know. ;)

On the other hand I didn't know there is an endobai rumour tracker on Dakkadakka - with one mistake actually.
Do I win a T-shirt if it is all accurate?
QuoteYou are my hero right now. Can you give any more indication on the psychic powers? You said that most have powers assigned to them (specifically the brood lord).
A number of them, some, but I doubt it is most. Tyrants for example have to roll.
QuoteI think you said the tervigon does not, but must roll on the tyranid psychic powers chart. What about some other units? Again, it should say in the book which psychic powers tyranids have access too. If we lose access to biomancy and don't gain excellent powers, that could cause a couple of problems. Granted, we adapt as we go, so it isn't a big concern, just some tweaking here and there.
I know too little about the whole set of powers. Dominion seems to be the Primaris.
QuoteI am also curious as to you feelings about the changes in general. Does this book allow for more builds? As in you can run a lot of monstrous creatures or a giant swarm? The horms thing is intriguing. When you say demonettes, do you mean the mounted ones? I am disappointed that Warriors and Genestealers haven't really changed (at least in what you have said). I am also curious if tyranids gained a battle focus like eldar? There was a rumor they could move, run, and assault. Is this at all true?
Curiously I still cannot grasp it fully. First time it happens since I started getting info from this source (and never posted most of it because it is mainly for my use). Frankly I am concerned about the little guys, but have still too little information to make definite statements.

About Horms see below - a multi-quote in all its glory.
QuoteLastly, you mentioned that biomorphs are back in and that warriors have a lot of access to them. Are Hive Tyrants more customizable as well? Is the codex in general more customizable?
Biomorphs are accessible by many creatures. Hive Tyrant is definetely on the top of the list so...
QuoteWe have a general idea of what the harpy does, but perhaps you can talk about the other flyer a bit. What kind of roll on the battlefield do you see it taking?
It does have very, very interesting weapon. Cannot say which untill images start showing.
I believe that when it comes to the background description of it this is the first time ever the Tyranids get access to this kind of weapon class.
I know, cryptic and some people will say that the guy knows nothing so talks nonsense to cover the fact, but in this case just one word I would have to use would say almost everything.
Honestly I cannot find a way to describe it without making it all too obvious.
QuoteSorry if I am asking too many questions, I am sure you can't answer them all either.
No problem. I doubt I helped much anyway.
QuoteTyranids need some form of skyfire though. Probably will be a biomorph of some kind, like a repurposed enhanced senses.
I am not sure if they will get ground based Anti-air.
I definetely said that the new Hive Guard weapon doesn't sound as one - description suggests something much different - but Hive Guards still might get access to Skyfire for the primary weapon we all know and love/hate.

So I cannot exclude skyfire altogether, not yet, but the new weapon doesn't sound like one.
Quote@Endobai- thanks so much for sharing! So much info! Made my day!
So no Shrikes in the release I take it?
The range of wargear, the pricing of the box, the space on the sprues and wealth of options available suggests there is nothing left for such large pieces like wings.
An educated guess, the process of deduction + absolutely no confirmation there are wings = no Shrikes.
QuoteOh and I presume there is a psychic card deck for Nids?
Seven cards.
Quote@Endobai Cheers for the earlier response mate, and for all the new stuff you've confirmed!
I am to assume that your comment about Hormagaunts means they are Beasts and 4-5 points per model now? I know you can't confirm but that appears to be what you are indicating. That's very nice indeed if so!
I cannot say how many points - against Warseer policy isn't it? - definetely not beasts. Slaanesh fast, but not that fast.
Plus fleet and move through cover. The second seems an army-wide rule (not sure about winged Tyraninds).
QuoteI have a question that I think everyone wants to know; have Carnifexes been changed for the better? I'm also curious about Trygons/Mawlos/Tyrannofexes/Tervigons/etc but I think the Carnifex is the one everyone wants to know about after what happened in the previous codex. Cheers again for any info!
Got a re-pack. Nothing I can say about their rules.
QuoteI agree, has our "tank" bug gotten better? Or at least do the other rumours where it can buy biomorphs hold true?
Biomorphs are accessible by many, many models and Carnifex definetely is described as one of them.
QuoteI hope the flyrant will still be able to equip 2 twin-link brainleech devourer, but I have the feeling it will be hit by the nerf bat.
The weapon stays. Not sure if it is as good as it was.
QuoteThe Doom of Malan' tai is dead and gone, as are any units without a model. Dual kits listed as Harpy + something, psychic power details and more. A lot of this is coming out quickly, and this is all rather reliable.

Please remember that these are rumors. This is all rather reliable bits of information. Discuss away.

via 4chan.
Pictures from WD will be tommorow.

Psychic Powers table: Dominion (Primaris), Psychic Scream, Warp Blast, Catalyst, Paroxysm, the Horror, Onslaught

Warriors + Prime bits (not a word about wings in a box)
Harpy + Something
Something Hungry + Something Shooty
Hive Guard + Other Known Guard

via daboarder on Bols in response to above.
ok guess I can give more info now this has dropped.

Those powers haven't changed........

yup how ****ty is that, can you imagin rolling the horror? bleah!

and zoans no longer have a base shooting power

oh and no, things without models are NOT in this codex (dont know about shrikes given the FW kit) but special character that was popular with 3rd party sculptors is dead and gone.....

Cue the cries of "the DoM was cheese anyway".....ya know, despite shriek being a primaris power for telepathy.
I can confirm that.
Both big, ground beasts are from the Epic 40k, also the shooting one.
Warrior box is half-dual as I said without confirming it is this particular one.
QuoteAny truth the psychic mechanism BOLS just tossed out?
I have no information saying it will be different than with other armies.
Might be true, but I am only revealing what I know for sure.

Also I'd like to refrain in the future from commenting everything what comes from BOLS about Tyranids in recent days.
Takes too much time.
QuoteWell, nids made the least sense to have special characters. Old One Eye and Swarmlord are probably still around though.
Both are still here. Swarmlord is mastery level three.
QuoteI think no one asked yet about these monsters:

-Does the biovore stays the same? Does he has access to various ammunition?
-Does the pyrovore is somehow usefull now? Better AP for the flamer or torrent rule? Or completely reworked?
-Any changes to the Mawloc?
-Does the gargoyles keep Blind Venom?
-Is the tyrranofex cheaper or does he has better weapons options?
-Does the venomthrope now has Stealth or shrouded?
Blind Venom stays. Venomthrope definetely confers cover saves, but don't know if it is a cover save which can be combined with stealth/shrouded or confering stealth/shrouded to models close to it.

Do not know about the rest. Not enough at least.
Quotenot sure whether to wait for the codex to drop before painting my horms?
They look nice, but I don't have the whole picture yet.
QuoteWhen in January is it set for release?
Still more than a full month from today.

Here the thread and first post with a collection of old rumours, mostly by BOLS:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/545791.page

And please do not clog this thread with lenghty discussions of wish lists that led to the locking of the old Tyranid rumour thread.
[/quote]

salamut2202

Narric

OK, I'll give GW one thing. They know how to make terrifyingly awesome models XD

Bottom creature makes me think its been eating some American Football players and their equipment :P

salamut2202

I like it. The tyrant guard are suppose to protect synapse creatures? Having more than enough carapce than for yourself is a good way of getting that across.

Also, added a pic.

Another update, a little bit of codex cover.

Begel Dverl

This big shit looks like a Mutalith.

I mean seriously.

Look at it.

salamut2202

salamut2202

Chris

REALLY???!!! 39 points for a ripper swarm... Why the damn stupid number...

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I see nothing here to suggest that it'll be worth breaking out my Tyranids again sadly. Part of the problem with Tyranids at the minute is speed. Hormagaunts should never have lost their Beasts status and I would gladly surrender the almost pointless "Bounding Leap" to get that back.

Warriors have a similar problem. They're too slow to reach combat and not survivable enough to make an effective shooting unit. And yet from what I can see, nothing has been done to resolve either of these issues, which causes me to suspect that the rest of the codex issues remain unaddressed in favour of the latest GW policy of "Look at this shiny new huge thing". Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to using my beasties again.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Charistoph

Quote from: Chris on December 18, 2013, 10:11:26 PM
Actually that's the initial cost for 2-3 Swarms, with the additional being 17-19? (picture's fuzzy)

Another odd thing, Hormagaunts come 8 to a box, but you need 10 to start?  And can max at 30?  Stupid GW, should have been 8-32.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Cammerz

Quote from: Charistoph on December 18, 2013, 11:04:19 PM
Actually that's the initial cost for 2-3 Swarms, with the additional being 17-19? (picture's fuzzy)

Looks to me like 39pts for 3 swarms, 13pts each.

salamut2202

Quote from: Charistoph on December 18, 2013, 11:04:19 PM

Another odd thing, Hormagaunts come 8 to a box, but you need 10 to start?  And can max at 30?  Stupid GW, should have been 8-32.
They come 12 in a box.

salamut2202

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on December 18, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
I see nothing here to suggest that it'll be worth breaking out my Tyranids again sadly. Part of the problem with Tyranids at the minute is speed. Hormagaunts should never have lost their Beasts status and I would gladly surrender the almost pointless "Bounding Leap" to get that back.

Warriors have a similar problem. They're too slow to reach combat and not survivable enough to make an effective shooting unit. And yet from what I can see, nothing has been done to resolve either of these issues, which causes me to suspect that the rest of the codex issues remain unaddressed in favour of the latest GW policy of "Look at this shiny new huge thing". Which is a shame, because I was looking forward to using my beasties again.
With the rumour of death spitters being strength 6, 24", I think warriors could definitely fill a role