News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

White Dwarf 'Reborn'...

Started by Chris, January 15, 2014, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonagon

So first reviews are around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqFbTa5qOI

Visions looks vagually dissappointing from my point of view, not enough GD coverage. :/

The guy in the video is overly negative though,

Cammerz

Well, just got mine through the post;
QuoteAs a subscriber to he old monthly White Dwarf, you'll now receive Warhammer: Visions each month. With the first issue of Warhammer: Visions, we've also sent you a free copy of the first issue of the new weekly White Dwarf magazine.

White Dwarf is considerable smaller than it used to be in all dimensions. It now shows an issue number (so I guess we can see why they got rid of it on the new-style White Dwarfs. The White Dwarf is a grand total of 32 pages long and includes new releases (some cool-looking Fantasy Dwarves if you were interested, a kit with Hammerers/Longbears and a couple of characters), they also have the rules for their new special character model 'Belegar Ironhammer' included in the White Dwarf.
It does look pretty good, but I can't see it being worth the asking price of £2.40 ($4, €3.20, AUS$6) per week.

In everything but depth, Warhammer: Visions is even smaller. Looking at it now, all I can see are pictures of recent releases painted to the typical 'eavy metal standard. This is the magazine which includes the 'army of the month' and 'parade ground' which invclude some exceptional work (if anyone does pick it up, there's a very cool Orc model which won the Slayer Sword at Golden Daemon Memphis on pages 96-99).
I'm very disappointed with the battle report which contains loads of pictures but only 311 words (that's right, I counted them), it doesn't say what's going on, almost like a piece of fluff rather than a battle report, but a piece of fluff which misses most of the battle.
The word count in this 228-page magazine is pathetic, made to look like more with the addition of French and German translations beside the English. It looks pretty enough but there is no way that it is worth £7.50!

Overall thoughts; if there's a way to subscribe to the weekly White Dwarf I might do it, but I will be cancelling my monthly subscription once this year expires.