News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

February Tau Rumours

Started by Narric, February 03, 2013, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on March 28, 2013, 09:58:56 AM
Doesn't say reduce. And it doesn't say that it will effect other units either. Might only affect this guy and his unit. Railguns of the S10 AP1 variety only seem to be on Railheads now, so he can't join them.

I am wondering if Ion weapons will Get Hot if you use the Overcharge function. Or if they will just need a turn to cool down.
No, true, but that's what I'm expecting it to do. I'm also expecting it to work similar to the current markerlight (1 unit can take advantage). Better to expect the worst. :P

I'm hoping the Get Hot and need a turn to recharge. S8 blasts, or large blasts in the case of the Riptide, is bloody painful. Especially if the Ion Cannon's been upgraded to AP3. (I know that's not rumoured, but it was very high on the wishlist) Also, bearing in mind the size of the drones, I'd say there has to be some risk of self-destructing in there, otherwise it's just silly.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Ion Cannons always have been AP3. I would prefer a turn to cool. Gets Hot isn't something the Tau like to put in the field.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

Who ever was wishlisting AP3 Ion Cannons needs a slapping. They already are. And if they wanted AP 2, they still deserve a slapping. The Ion is string enough as it is. And I really hope it's not str 8 during blast. Cause then it  will be the ONLY weapon in the game to get STRONGER in blast mode. Though if it's blast 1 rather then what it is now with blast, that could make sense. Not likely some of what I'm hearing on weapons though.

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

So instead of releasing new Crisis suits, release a new Commander and count on everyone fielding Commanders for all their Crisis suits because the look so good? Well played, GW.

Quote from: Narric on March 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AMSo the new commander kit is essentially a conversion that has been floating around for years.

Not quite, at least not unless there's a conversion kit I'm unaware of. That suit has some pretty significant departures from the standard Crisis - look at the rounded 'gorget' and the waist/groin area.

And fingers! :D

[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

They are? I should find more reliable sourbes. :P In that case they should be Gets Hot and need a turn cool down. I know Tau don't like Gets Hot, who does? But it is stated as still being experimental, and it's an overload. Overloads are dangerous.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

It shouldn't be both. One or the other. +1 Strength isn't worth both.

The Allfather

Quote from: Dra'Tuisisch-Novae on March 28, 2013, 12:42:06 PM

That was the first thing I noticed :P They DO have fingers!

Also, why does it always seem to be the French or Spanish version of the Codex that gets "leaked" before anything else...?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on March 28, 2013, 12:44:03 PM
It shouldn't be both. One or the other. +1 Strength isn't worth both.
The ability to insta-gib Marines, Wraiths, Tyranid Warriors/Zoanthropes etc isn't worth both? Run that one by me again please? Oh, not to mention it makes damaging vehicles easier too, especially as the "if the hole isn't over the vehicle halve the strength" rule is gone. Trust me, it's worth both. Oh, and you'll be wounding most MCs on 2+ and ignoring their armour.

More to the point, if an extra S4 AP5 shot is worth a turn's cooldown then +1 Strength, improved reliability (due to blast) and the chance to wound more models than you could otherwise is well worth a turn's cooldown and Gets Hot. Be serious.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Blast also makes you scatter. I'd rather not have it. Like I said, Tau don't do gets hot, even depowering their weapons below the norm to avoid it. S6 on Plasma Rifles and AP3 on the Plasma Cannon. It is very unlikely it will have gets hot. Although really, if there is a big drawback, just fire it normally. Better 5-7 turns of consistant fire rather than 3-4 turns of moderatly improved fire.

Narric

Quote from: Dra'Tuisisch-Novae on March 28, 2013, 12:42:06 PM
Quote from: Narric on March 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AMSo the new commander kit is essentially a conversion that has been floating around for years.

Not quite, at least not unless there's a conversion kit I'm unaware of. That suit has some pretty significant departures from the standard Crisis - look at the rounded 'gorget' and the waist/groin area.

http://bb.bbboy.net/deepspace-viewthread?forum=6&thread=392

Been around sicne 2005 ;)

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Well people have been doing conversions of that type for since there were Crisis suits; I thought you meant there was an actual conversion kit that I was unaware of.
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on March 28, 2013, 02:46:53 PM
Blast also makes you scatter. I'd rather not have it. Like I said, Tau don't do gets hot, even depowering their weapons below the norm to avoid it. S6 on Plasma Rifles and AP3 on the Plasma Cannon. It is very unlikely it will have gets hot. Although really, if there is a big drawback, just fire it normally. Better 5-7 turns of consistant fire rather than 3-4 turns of moderatly improved fire.
Makes you potentially scatter. You're nearly as likely to do damage with the blast even without the increased Strength. 1/3 chance of a hit, then 1/12 or 1/6 chance of 0 scatter anyway for BS 3/4 respectively. Hell, the scatter might take the shot out of line of sight and cause more damage than you could initially. Add in that you can get way more than 3 models under even a small blast template and there's no way blast isn't an improvement, never mind the Riptide's large blast version.

And like I said, it's an overloaded shot. Overloads are incredibly dangerous. If there's no risk it's not an overload. Not to mention the fact that it's still experimental. It might not fit with the previous Tau mindset, but experimental weapons are going to have faults and dangers, especially when overloaded. Therefore it should be Gets Hot and have a cooldown time for purposes of both balancing and making sense. As I've mentioned, +1 shot at S4 was deemed worthy of losing a turn's shooting. +1 Strength and Blast is well worth that and Gets Hot, especially when you consider how much difference S8 makes compared with S7.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Bladestorm is from what is now (I think) one of the oldest codexes out there. The comparison is not usable anymore. I don't mind losing a turn. But you would accomplish more with 5 turns of S7 than you would with 3 turns at S8.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on March 28, 2013, 03:56:48 PM
Bladestorm is from what is now (I think) one of the oldest codexes out there. The comparison is not usable anymore. I don't mind losing a turn. But you would accomplish more with 5 turns of S7 than you would with 3 turns at S8.
It is, but it's the only comparison that I'm aware of outside Imperial Guard and a) that requires a Ld check and b) I can't remember exactly how it works. :P

Umm..you might. Then again, you might not. It depends what targets are available, how well you roll etc etc. Like I said, instagibbing things like Tyranid Warriors, with them not getting a save or only getting a 5+ is much preferrable to having to inflict 3 wounds to get a single kill and a well placed blast marker can still hit 3 Warriors. (assuming I'm right in thinking the hole only has to be over a base now, not a head) Also the ability to take out Marine Commanders/Librarians etc in a single shot and earn Warlord/deny nasty psychic powers is a big deal. Against Eldar it's the difference between 4s and 5s to damage a vehicle, 2s and 3s to harm Wraithguard/War Walkers etc. That +1 Strength is a bigger deal than you seem to think it is, and Blast is helpful more often than not.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

It also entirely depends on what the weapon IS. If it is the Ion Cannon on the Hammerhead, that getting a Blast that isn't large won't be worth it. On the smaller guns, it MIGHT be, if they keep AP3 across the board for Ion weapons. The Cyclic Ion Blaster WAS only AP4, I don't know if that is still the case. The new Ion Rifle that the Pathfinders get would benefit, but the Ion Quad Blaster thing on the back of the Sunshark (seriously, why is it back there?) would be useless with blast because it is for shooting other flyers down with.