News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Want some advice regarding painting olive drab colour on cadians

Started by Stewie Griffin, June 26, 2012, 04:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie Griffin

As title really - basically recently I've finally bought all the models to make my 500pt all infantry guard army, and now that they are all built at some point I will be moving onto the painting stage.

The scheme I want to do is basically the normal cadian scheme, but instead of khaki fatigues, I want to go for olive drab instead (I always found that while I could paint khaki, I'd always find little imperfections on every single cadian which drives me up the bloody wall...)

So basically my questions are:-

1) How would you go about painting olive drab fatigues - what colours would you use and how would you use them basically

2) Do you think it would look good with the normal green cadian armour, which is a different shade to olive drab (I do mine orkhide shade + knarlock green highlight)

3) Lastly do you think it might be a better idea to paint both the armour and the fatigues olive drab? Or would that just look boring?

Thanks

EDIT: This is pretty much what I'm looking for  - http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/f/f4/Trooper_of_the_51st_cadian_by_masteralighieri-d34b5r0.jpg

EDIT 2: I was thinking actually that this tutorial on Youtube is pretty close to the above artwork, what do you think? I'm thinking the green fatigues would need a teensy bit of a colour change to make them more olive like to fit that colour more (besides I dont like the bright green highlights that's going on in that tutorial...) but overall I think this is pretty close... what would you suggest to make the dark green fatigues in this seem more olive drab like? I was thinking maybe doing... orkhide shade as a base over white, and then mixing it with gretchin for a highlight. Do you think that'd get the colour I want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8SI5...ure=plpp_video

Will's on Fire

I don't know the names of the new paints to make this so I'll generalise the names. :P

Dark Green + touch of brown then mix lighter using bleached bone (can't think of what colour that is. ;D )

That should give you a nice starting point you can then highlight from by adding more bleached bone or maybe a touch of white, maybe grey so it doesn't go too bright.

I just accidentally mixed a colour similar to that... Wasn't quite what I was aiming for. :P

- Will