News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The King's Court [Rules / Signup]

Started by Wargamer, August 06, 2013, 03:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilum

I'll happily join in - or at least make a character. Only problem is I'm away for a week from the 17th - if that would be a problem then I'll bow out...

That said, here's my chap (or interesting NPC, as above). A Knight of the Realm, I think...

Combat: 10
Endurance: 9
Wounds: 8
Leadership: 6 (7)
Command: 4 (5)
Diplomacy: 3 (4 (6/0!))
Domain: Fishery
Attributes: Racist, Leader of Men and... extra-racist!

Well, that's intriguing! I'll edit in the stat modifiers...

Sir Perrin de Bartoz, Knight. Unmarried.
Demesne: Merlon, a small coastal manor in southern Frankia.
Retinue: With GM's permission, marines. Lightly armoured (if at all) men willing to fight with bow and with blade, but uncomfortable in formal, set-piece battle, to hopefully balance the dual capability. Annoying skirmishers (pirates!), effectively. As we're ultimately a Warhammer fan site, perhaps an analogy to Dark Elf Shades or old Tilean Duellists would be apt, in style at least..? If you think that's too OTT a combination for T1, Wargamer, then simple militia would do the trick.

The Southern Sea seems a paradise. Beautiful weather, fine wines, abundant crops, fair maids... But paradise can be a terrible place to live. Piracy and raiding is a fact of life. Perrin knows this all too well - God knows he's done his share. And to be honest, it's been virtually a duty to enrich himself at the expense of two-faced Grecians who offer trade but bring war and short measures, vile Goths (who do, at least, generally sail under their own flags), treacherous Suttri and Westerners. Even the Romans can't protect their whole coastline at once! Those effete swines had one thing right though - their legacy. The Southern Franks were prime recruiting grounds for the Navy, and the lessons stuck. The men of Bartoz are comfortable in running battles, perhaps less so in more formal conflict.

So Paradise has wrinkles, but opportunity abounds. A few ships, some good men and a younger brother can set himself up very well indeed, especially if savvy enough to be generous with the loot haul - or you could launch a disastrous expedition to the (North African - perhaps Magreb? Barbeyan? Moorid?) Coast which ended with his elder brother washed overboard while they desperately ran for home. Sad, but did at least gain him Merlon. Two years on, his social prospects now look much improved, hopefully including legitimate heirs, even if his freedom of action now seems - on the surface, at least - much curtailed.
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Wargamer

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on August 08, 2013, 10:04:21 PM
*sigh* I apparently hail from the land of the Frogs. Could I, perhaps, have been drafted from across the Channel? Or at least more Germanic territory? :P
Eh, it uses the real world map, but not real nations. Think of it as an alternate history 12th/13th century that diverged somewhere around the end of the Roman Republic. As such, your bloodlines can be more or less what you want. :P

Quote from: Pilum on August 08, 2013, 11:03:47 PM
I'll happily join in - or at least make a character. Only problem is I'm away for a week from the 17th - if that would be a problem then I'll bow out...
It won't be a problem. While you're away we can simply find an excuse for your character to take an extended leave of absence.

As to the Marines... I think they could work. For balance purposes, your initial batch will be effectively militia who get a bonus when fighting on board ships or raiding coastlines, but are weak in open conflict.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Pilum

Quote from: Wargamer on August 09, 2013, 08:41:30 AM
As to the Marines... I think they could work. For balance purposes, your initial batch will be effectively militia who get a bonus when fighting on board ships or raiding coastlines, but are weak in open conflict.

You've summed up in a sentence what I so blatantly failed to do in a paragraph of babble!
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Wargamer

Will update tomorrow. It's been a long weekend and my head isn't working tonight.

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Mabbz

Before I post, I have some questions (they should be common knowledge)

1) Are any of the Princes married? If so, what about children? I imagine Bethany, as a married woman, being more likely to fraternise with their wives.
2) Have they recently had any problems or successes I would know about, especially ongoing ones?
3) Does the King have any daughters?

Wargamer

Quote from: Mabbz on August 12, 2013, 09:28:23 PM
Before I post, I have some questions (they should be common knowledge)

1) Are any of the Princes married? If so, what about children? I imagine Bethany, as a married woman, being more likely to fraternise with their wives.
2) Have they recently had any problems or successes I would know about, especially ongoing ones?
3) Does the King have any daughters?
1) Carl is married and will have a son and daughter come of age soon. Aleksander was married and has a young (pre-teen) daughter, but his wife has since passed and he is available again. William is unmarried and seeking a suitor.
2) Carl has had no recent achievements or failures of note, save perhaps that the Vislanders have established a foothold in Nothria.
Aleskander is pushing for major economic reforms and trade links that would greatly increase the wealth of the nation if successful.
William has yet to make a name for himself.
3) No, at least none that are still alive or within the kingdom.

Eagle eye

that feeling when people are fighting in duels and your just chilling out watching it happen

Mabbz

I'd post something about chatting with you, but I can't think of a reason for Beth to talk to a priest.

Mabbz

Eagle eye