News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Road to DaBoyz GT

Started by Deraj, April 14, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deraj

I've decided that I'm going to use the DaBoyz GT 2014 to benchmark the 'completion' of my High Elf army. DaBoyz GT is a 2400 fantasy tournament on November 15 and 16, precluded by a 2400 point team tournament on November 14th (7 months from today.) There is very little composition restrictions, the only ones that I'd even need to care about are that each army needs a fortitude of at least 4 (the general grants 2 and you gain an additional 1 per banner in your army) and your most expensive unit can't cost more than double your second most expensive unit, not counting lords, heroes, or characters (I particularly love that rule.) Named characters are allowed, but frowned upon, but I won't be using them anyway.

For today I will be posting 2 of my experimental lists as well as a list of what I have painted and what I have that I want painted by the GT. Throughout the summer I will post pictures of my army, thoughts and tactics as well as questions about particular armies, and I will be working on a display board for the army.

Army list 1

Lords:
Annointed of Asuryan with potion of strength- 230
Level 4 archmage with powerstone- 230

Heroes:
Noble BSB- 95
Level 2 Archmage with dispel scroll and ironcurse icon- 150

Core
15 archers- 150
15 archers- 150
30 spearmen with full command- 300
20 sea guard with banner and musician- 240

Special
20 Swordmasters with full command and razor banner- 335
Lion Chariot- 120
Lion Chariot- 120

Rare
Great Eagle- 50
Great Eagle- 50
Eagle Claw Bolt thrower- 70

The Annointed and Level 4 archmage (using high magic) will be with my swordmasters to give them massive survivability and the bsb and the level 2 mage (Lore of shadow, life, beasts, or metal) will be in the spearmen. I enjoy playing with this list, but it lacks phoenix guard, and my army is based around the phoenix gate...

Army list 2

Lords:
Annointed of Asuryan with potion of strength- 230
Level 4 archmage with powerstone- 230

Heroes:
Noble BSB with warbanner- 120
Level 2 Archmage with dispel scroll and ironcurse icon- 150

Core
15 archers- 150
15 archers- 150
30 spearmen with full command and razor banner- 345

Special
20 Swordmasters with full command- 290
20 Phoenix Guard with full command- 330
Lion Chariot- 120

Rare
Great Eagle- 50
Great Eagle- 50

The Annointed and Level 4 archmage (using high magic) will be with my spearmen and the bsb and the level 2 mage (Lore of shadow, life, beasts, or metal) will be in the phoenix guard. I've had terrible luck with phoenix guard, but on paper they seem like they should work. This list makes me feel like a tool because it has only 645 out of the required 600 core points.

Painted and to paint

So far what I have painted is:
The annointed
my level 4 archmage
a lore of beast mage
a bsb
a dragon mage on a dragon (I love the model, he just isn't great on the board)
a phoenix (I 'like' the model, and he's even worse on the board)
2 eagles
4 eagle claw bolt throwers and their crew
20 spearmen
30 archers
1 sea guard
20 swordmasters
1 lion chariot

What I have to paint or want to paint are:
a mage for lore of metal
a mage for lore of life
a mage for lore of shadows
19 lothern sea guard
20 phoenix guard
another lion chariot

Any questions or comments are appreciated. By the end of the week I should be posting pictures and thoughts on tactics that I've gleaned from playing this army since last November and playing against high elves.

Narric

Haven't had a chance to see the High Elf book in action, so can't say much for the lists :P

Good luck in getting it ready for the GT ;)

SILK

Deraj, what country is this? If it's UK i might be tempted to take my Skaven along for the ride and see you there ^_^

Deraj

US. Fly over, it's become my yearly vacation because I can only handle that amount of warhammer, alcohol, and general 'getting slaaneshed' per year :P Last year out of 70 or so people there wasn't a single skaven army. To put that into perspective there were 5 beastmen armies, 3 wood elf armies, and 3 brettonian armies. Hell, there were 2 chaos dwarf armies.

I may just take pictures of my army on the board tomorrow, as I'm playtesting one of my lists against daemons or dark elves, and since New York turned into the UK for the last week I haven't been able to get any decent sunlit pictures of my army...

Jonagon

Nice one Deraj, great target to aim for, am starting a tabletop fantasy army so trying to motivate myself to paint big units too. Will watch with interest. :)

SILK

Awwwww.... I can't afford a holiday in the US just to play warhammer :(