News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

WAARGH! Grumgutz vs. Ultramarines in "Green vs. Blue!: A 6th Ed Story" (1500pts)

Started by BigToof, July 14, 2012, 02:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's doing the most krumpin' (VP) this game?

Da Orks
4 (80%)
Dem Panzees
0 (0%)
Da Beakies (SM)
0 (0%)
Da Fish'eads (Tau)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

BigToof

WAARGH! Grumgutz vs. Ultramarines in "Green vs. Blue!: A 6th Ed Story" (1500pts, 07/13)

Hi All,
Welcome to my first 6th Ed. Batrep.  It's a bit of a slugfest as you have the Ork of Orks, Warlord Grumgutz Bitzgrabber standing off against the combined might of Ultramarines and Tau!  I contracted up with some Panzees that are familiar and hopefully helpful :)
This is my first write-up for 6th, so please forgive any discrepencies, but make sure to point them out!  I'm still feeling out 6th, same as you all are.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  C&C is greatly appreciated!

---------------
The Lists
--------------
WAARGH! Grumgutz 1500pts: 50 Infantry, 1 Walker, 2 Vehicles, 1 Fort; 11 VPs
Da Orkz:
-Warlord Grumgutz Bitzgrabber (Warboss w/PK, Bike, Cybork)
-Da Big Five (Nob Bikerzx5 w/PKx2, Bosspole, W!Banner, Painboy, Cybork, counts as Troops)
-Lootasx5
-Lootasx5
-Shootasx20 w/PK Nob, Big Shootax2, Bosspole
-Grotsx10 w/Runtherd Zogwog
-Dakkajet w/Ace Pilot, Supa-Shootasx3
-BigToof (Deffdread w/Skorchasx2)
-Battlewagon w/Deffrolla, RPJ, Bigshootasx3
-Aegis Defense Line w/Quadgun
Dem Panzee Gitz:
-Farseer Lorilune (AKA Big Louie) w/RoWarding, Doom, Fortune, SStones, Jetbike
-Jetbikesx3

Ultramarines 1500pts "Maximus and Friends": 30 Infantry, 1 Vehicle; 9-10 VPs
SM Detachment
-Captain Excelsior Maximus (Captain w/Relic Blade, Bike, Artificer Armor)
-Librarian Sigmund Novenus (Libby w/Terminator Armor)
-Terminatorsx5 w/TH/SS
-Bikesx9 w/Meltasx2, MM Assault Bike, PF Sgt (counts as troop)
-Scoutsx5 w/Sniper Rifles
-Land Raider Redeemer, Multi-Melta
Tau Detachment
-Shas'El w/Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Drone, Irridium Armor
-Fire Warriorsx6
-XV88 Broadsidesx2

------------------------
Prologue
------------------------

Captain Excelsior Maximus of the Ultramarines' 6th Company walked down the long hall with his Librarian Sigmund Novenus in tow.  The Captain was in a good mood.  For obvious reasons.

"Ah, Sigmund, Sigmund.  Did I ever tell you how wonderful of a day it's been so far?"

"You have remarked on it a number of times, Captain, now back to the matter at..."

The Captain continued unperturbed, smashing his way through verbal repartee with all the grace and understanding of a Land Raider.

"Yes, yes of course, Sigmund, but did you see the way that Marneus Calgar HIMSELF sent the order?  For us to be the first to be assigned with Tau servants?  Oh, the joy of it all.  We must have done something right."

The Librarian sighed, "Sir, they're not 'servants,' they are ambassadors.  We are to treat them with..."

"Yes, yes Sigmund, and all that rot.  But you have to read BETWEEN the lines Sigmund.  The Imperium is a very complicated place and stories of all kinds are hidden between the lines.  Sandwiched between the innuendo and the ... and the vica versas!  But, luckily you have me to decode it, Sigmund.  Indeed, lucky are we."

Librarian Novenus took a moment to massage the growing feeling of dread from his temples before continuing.

"Sir, you are aware that we are headed to the Auric Vortex.  The Navigators say that they can give us ample distance for the Tau and our Techmarines to gain all the data they need and..."

Maximus nodded and again verbally blustered in, "Yes, yes.  Good show those lads.  Very well, we'll let them take their sensors and such, and then... we're hunting Orks!"

Novenus opened and closed his mouth a few times as equal parts dismay, shock and familiar frustration filled his mind.

"Sir.  We are under orders to not engage the Orkish remnants within the area.  As a single Imperial vessel, we could be significantly outnumbered and..."

"And nothing of the sort, Sigmund!  They're Orks!  Without Grum...  Gr..."

The Captain took a moment to let his jaw set right.  He still had difficulty saying his feared nemesis' name, even though Warlord Grumgutz had, by all reports, been sucked into the vortex months ago.

"Ahem.  Yes, without their leader, the Orks are in disarray.  And we have to put on a good show for our new arrivals.  Especially Princess Sara."

The Librarian paused a moment.  "You mean Shas'El'Sha'shera?  Sir, I don't think the Tau consider her to be..."

"Yes, yes, but that name is too... foreign Sigmund.  Just doesn't roll off the tongue right.  Princess Sara sounds much better.  We're not so different you know, we're both a little blue."

The Captain laughed loudly at his own joke and continued unabated.

"After all, she is probably already infatuated with me.  Can't blame her though, we are after all Ultramarines.  Who couldn't love us?"
--------------------------------------

Shas'El'Sha'shera peered out from her place in the large cargo hold that the marines had set aside from them. With little to do, she checked her connection to the exterior sensors.  It was an odd sight, watching the changing swirls on the scanners.  The Water Guild had informed her that "Warp Travel" was a strange and unusual method that could have unforseen side effects on the travellers, causing temporal dilation and potential death to the vessels.  The Gue'seva certainly made a rather large spectacle of the entire matter, praying to their strange god and holding elaborate ceremonies.  Sha'shera suspected that it was just faulty navigation controls and a lack of proper shielding.  Whatever radiation that was getting in could easily effect improperly trained and equipped personnel, which, she had to admit, looked like the majority of the Imperium.

She sat down and re-read her orders again, just to make herself feel something resembling normal.  She was assigned to lead an expedition to some sort of anomaly far away from Tau space.  Through some sort of diplomatic miracle, the Tau had managed to convince a group of Space Marines to assist them.

Sha'shera frowned at the thought.  The Marines were some of the most xenophobic, close-minded madmen this side of the third sphere.  Or at least... they were supposed to be.  The group that had let her on board were rather odd, but none had had attempted to kill her yet.  Their leader, an insane, egotistic creature that Sha'shera found repugnant in so many ways, had become an infuriating host.  She tried not to replay the conversations in her mind, but his casual disregard of the Greater Good and his horrible attempts at humour made dealing with the human about as pleasant as watching a Krootox defecate.  The worst part, she had to admit, was that he actually seemed to be trying to get on their good side.  He just didn't have the slightest idea how.  She checked her chronometer again.  This mission couldn't be over with soon enough...

------------------------

Ex-Farseer Lorilune (AKA Big Louie) of WAARGH! Grumgutz sat in her council room.  The months had passed quickly since the Warlord's supposed demise, and the Orks hidden away in the "Vortex" had been growing in strength.  New ships, weapons and Boyz were amassing in a near-overwhelming number, ready to be released upon the universe.

And yet, Lorilune had ignored all of those mundane matters.  She glanced again at the reddish Spirit Stone in her hand.  It was her own stone, borne aloft from the Craftworld Saim-Hann and energized with Eldar technology that would seem more magic than science to the Orks around her.  In a tragic accident some years ago, she had lost her psychic powers, and instead grossly transplanted them with WAARGH! energy.  But it had turned her into an abomination.  Something not-Eldar, not-Ork, that had only let her survive due to her outbursts of cataclysmic energy.

And it was getting dull.  She missed feeling the ebb and flow of the universe, the subtle changes to the lines of fate.  It all seemed so far away...

A tear almost came to her eye, but she pushed it away and looked back at the trio of Eldar seated across from her.  Wearing the colours of Craftworld Iyanden, they had come unbidden and had managed to sneak into the Warlord's castle to seek an audience with her.  They had brought a golden coloured Spirit Stone, which hummed with a power that Lorilune could sense even from across the table. 

They had said that Farseer Ilandra (a quiet, mewing thing from what Lorilune could remember) had sent them with an ancient artifact that could rekindle her powers.  Or kill her.  Lorilune frowned.  Taking gifts from an Eldar from another Craftworld was not without it's risks, especially the obvious ones that would result in her demise.  Still, it was a chance. 

What would Grumgutz do? 

The question came to her mind unbidden, and she snorted at the thought.  Lowering herself to think about an Ork's opinion.  What was the world coming to? 

She whet her lips, steeled herself, and gripped the stone.  Nothing seemed to happen, and she felt a kind of dejected dispair start to build deep in her soul.  Then, eventhing seemed to shimmer and shake and the universe came rushing at her, filling her mind and overwhelming her senses.  Lorilune only hoped her mind would survive...
------------------------------

Setup: Hammer and Anvil
Mission: Cleanse the Alien
Terrain: Ruins and Forests

-----------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Oh this should be interesting.  Tau and Marines?  How the universe has changed.  Although I brought Eldar and Ork, so I can't be talking too much :)  So, I have some tricks, let's see what I can do...

----------------------------

I roll Puppet and Psychic Scream for Lorilune, trading in Doom and Guide (I hope it's a wise idea).

The Marines get the re-roll all hits for Divination and get Gate of Infinity from telekenesis.

For Warlord powers, Grumgutz is able to have all units within 12" use his Ld (That's... ok...)
Maximus gets the ability to get a VP for each challenge he wins (!).

---------------------------

To be continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

El ShasOcho

WOOOO!!! THE BIG BAD WARBOSS IS BACK!

Pumped to see this. I haven't had a chance to play or even watch a 6th ed game yet, so it will be great to see how it goes. Nice to see some Tau, don't think I have ever seen them in any of your reports, and Sha'shera sounds quite entertaining in comparison to Maximus, who is always a good laugh especially when he is beaten down.

He is going to have some trouble shooting down that Dakkajet without anything with skyfire, and his only real ranged anti-tank being the broadsides. Granted they are quite deadly, but will they be used to shoot the jet down or instagib some nob bikers? We shall find out!

I am gonna pick Grumgutz in this one.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

The Man They Call Jayne

Hmmm, could well be interesting. I think Grumgutz will win this, that Dakkajet is a brutal killer. But as a venerable Shas'O, I have to root for the Greater Good to lead those misguided Imperials to victory. :)
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Rej

Excellent. Been waiting for Grumgutz return, looking forward to where to story goes!
Phew...

Cammerz

BT, you have just made me very happy.
Grumgutz and Da Big Five, and Lorilune, and Bigtoof da Dread, and a Dakkajet, and killing that fool Maximus again.
Couldn't be a better way to kick of 6th edition.

The fluff so far is fantastic, some of your best. This is a good sign of things to come. This'll be a good edition.

As for who'll win it, well, Maximus can never win against Grumgutz. This will be a massacre although I reckon the Tau Broadside battlesuits will make a decent show of themselves before probably dying in close combat.

BigToof

I greatly appreciate all of your comments.
I err... did reply to all of them, but as you all know, we had a bit of a forum "oops" that took out my reply and the conclusion of the rep.
I'll just post up the conclusion.  If the original does resurface, I'll turn this into something amusing instead :)
Feel free to comment/criticize away though!

Best,
-BT

----------------------

Setup: Well, this is a weird one, as Hammer and Anvil deployment is just... weird.  We roll to go first, and the Orkz win and gladly go first.  I put my Defense line down long-wise, covering a good chunk of the board.  I have, unfortunately, crossed over one of the "terrain zones," which means that the Ork half of the board is going to be more bare than the Marine half.  Fair enough.  When all is said and done, there's some small ruins and/or forests in the corner, and the Marines have bits of walls and rubble for them to hide behind near the front of their half.
The Orkz deploy fairly easily with BigToof, both mobs of Lootas and the Grotz (manning the Quad-Gun!) behind the Defense line.  Grumgutz goes out to the right flank, and Louie and the Shoota Wagon go out to the left.  Only the Dakkajet is in reserve.
The Ultramarines decide to castle up a bit on the left (hmm, no surprise there), with the Land Raider near the center.  Maximus joins the bikes and the squad splits, with the MM bike half out to the left to square off against the Shoota-Wagon, and Maximus and crew hide behind the Raider.  The XV88's go to the back of the left side, with Fire Warriors in front of them.  The Shas'El goes in reserve to deep strike, and the Scouts are outflanking.

The Marines fail to seize and it's on!

-------------------------------------

Picture Caption: Are the Big Five that fearsome?  (Answer: Yes, yes they are.)

------------------------------------------

"It's a fine day for an Ork hunt, don't you think so Princess?"

Shas'el'Sha'shera said nothing for a few moments as indignation and highly-conditioned politness butted heads.  Politeness won this time, but it was getting close.

"It is a sunny day."

Captain Excelsior Maximus nodded astride his massive and heavily decorated motorbike,  The princess had a nicely pitched and pleasant voice.  You could hardly tell she was a Xenos at all.

"I am pleased that you speak our language so well.  For a while we had thought that we would have to make signs.  Something like 'no-touchy the bang-bang guns for they hurt you-owie-owie.'  I know you Tau are new to technology.  Don't worry, we'll teach you the proper way of doing things soon enough.  Or should I say the 'Greater Gooder' way of things, eh?"

Sha'shera shook for a moment and Maximus nodded to himself.  She was probably blushing under all that armor.  Clearly swooning from the might of his verbal repartee.  He looked around, peering at the mostly deserted ruins.  It was rather unsporting of the Orks.  He was hoping for a bit of a scrap, but the entire system was devoid of any greenskins.  The only thing he had found was a weak Imperial signal from one of the planets.  There was some kind of interference that made their scanning difficult, forcing them to land to investigate.  Sigmund had said something about danger and traps and whatnot, but they were Ultramarines!  He had promised the Princess a fine outing a little thing like fuzzy sensor-whatnots was not going to keep him away.

"Dey's here, Boss, dey's here!"

The Ork Kommandos emerged from the surrounding forests, bellowing excitedly at Warlord Grumgutz Bitzgrabber.  The Warlord returned the toothy grin.  Just like Louie had said. 
Ol' Maxie had taken the bait up with hardly a thought and now they had Beakies to fight good and proper.  The Kommandos had said something about some other weird lookin' gitz with them, but the Warlord didn't think much of it.  A good fight was coming, and the Orkz would be all over it!  He took a moment to look over at Louie and her trio of Panzees.  He trusted Louie.  But he didn't trust them other gitz.  They hadn't been learned proper yet.  Best to keep an eye on them...

---------------------------------------

Turn 1: Orkz
--------------------------------

Maximus sighed, looking at his chronometer.  It was just like a woman to take forever.  The Princess had excused herself right in the middle of his splendid conversation and was taking her time getting back.  Probably powdering... whatever the Tau had to powder.
He shook his head.  The Tau had a lot to learn.  Bringing a woman along was just asking for trouble.  They were at best a distraction and he probably wouldn't even notice if a great big company of Orks just...

"Captain!  Captain!"

Maximus looked up to see his Sergeant waving at him.  He had that tense look that the others always did.

"Yes, Sergeant?  Found some Orks, did you?"

"Yes.  Yes, they're coming this way!"

"Oh, good.  How many are there?"

"I...  I... Four or Five dozen, but..."

Maximus snorted, "Is that all?  They won't even make it into swinging range.  The Princess will be so disappointed that she won't get to see my magnificient swordsmanship at..."

"Hey Maxie!"

Maximus' eyes widened as the familar voice filled the air.  He jolted up and saw an all too familiar looking figure on a powerful, trundling Warbike.

"No!  It...  You're supposed to be dead!"

Grumgutz laughed.  "Death don't mean much to da Orkz!  Get ready fer a krumpin' you lot won't ever forget!"

--------------------------------

Hmm, some people are shy.  Let's fix that.  I boost out Grumguz up the right flank.  It's actually pretty easy given the whole pre-measuring business to keep them out of Terminator charge range.  I move the Shoota-wagon up to threaten the bikes and Tau on the left.  I then move up Lorilune and start my first little trick.  i hope it works...

I roll for the Puppet on the Land Raider!  My opponent is a bit flustered, as he didn't realize it could work on vehicles.  He rolls to Deny the Witch, but fails (go Spirit Stones!).  The Land Raider then fires all of it's weaponry on the Bikes.  After two giant templates, a multi-melta, and an assault cannon...  There's not much left.  The Lootas pick the rest up in a volley of shots for first blood.  The Shoota-Wagon and the rest of the Ork shooting takes down four Fire Warriors who fall back.

Picture Caption: First blood to Da Orkz!

Turn 1: SM
-----------------------------
Librarian Sigmund Novenus concentrated, scowling as he finally broke through the Mind control that was plaguing the Land Raider's crew.  What had happened?  The Orks couldn't do something like this on their own.  It had a feeling like...

"Eldar.  The Orks have Eldar allies.  Make the word known.  I..."

"Sigmund!  Sigmund!"

Novenus nodded at the Captain's freverent call.

"Don't worry sir, we're fine, it was some kind of psychic manifes..."

"Who cares about that Sigmund?!  He's coming for me!  Grumgutz is coming for me!"

Novenus frowned, "The Warord?  Sir, didn't you say he was dead?"

"I...  Yes...  Yes, I did.  Oh...  Oh those tricky Orks."

"Sir?"

"They tied his body up to a bike and are undoubedtly using some kind of speaker system.  Oh, they nearly had me.  Don't worry Sigmund, I'll take them apart."

"Sir!  No, that is..."

A deafening engine roar was the only reply as Captain Excelsior Maximus and his squad zoomed straight towards the Ork Bikers.  Grumgutz nodded to his ladz.  Maxie had gotten some steel in his backbone since the last time they fought.  He smirked.  Hopefully, it'll be a good fight after all...

Deciding that someone has to do something about the Nob Bikerz, Maximus and his crew move forward.  The Land Raider also moves forward towards the Defense Line, trying to stay out of easy charge range.

Shooting is a bit nerve-wracking, as the Broadsides fire and immobilze the Shoota-Wagon (!), but luckily nothing else more.  The Raider also moves flat out, getting perilously closer to the line (ooh, they can do that, kinda... forgot about that).  The bikes fire, doing not too much to the Orkz.  They then assault.  Overwatch is horribly muted as the Nob Bikerz' shots bounce off Maximus' 2+ armor as he tanks the shots for the squad.

In assault, Maximus almost challenges, until he realizes that Grumgutz is S10.  He then proffers up a PF Sarge, as he doesn't want the Orks challenging.  I move up a PK Nob for him to play with.  The regular bikers do nothing.  Maximus swings, gets 2 wounds... both of which are saved by FNP!  The Sarge pounds the Nob into the ground, but gets taken out with the rest of his squad by massive PK.  Maximus thinks about what to do, then realizes that he'll last about two seconds versus Grumgutz.  Willingly failing his morale check, the Captain zooms away...  Wow.  Nob Bikerz are tough in 6th.

Picture Caption: Yeah!  And don't come back!

VPs:
Orkz: 3
SM/Tau: 0

Turn 2: Orkz
------------------------
Deffdread BigToof watched all of the Dakka fly through the air.  It was noisy, pretty and some things were dying too.  Just as it should be.  He just wished something would get closer.  Singing to himself, he didn't notice the screaming Grotz until one of them almost climbed into his talkin' hole.

"Oi!  What'z got you runts so perked up?"

"TANKS A COMIN'!"

BigToof looked up and saw a beutiful sight.  It was a tank.  A big, nobby looking tank.  Blue and full of guns.  Wiping away a tear from his eye, he switched his head-saw to "extra-krumpy" and waddled out from behind the crude wall the Grotz had made, and waved one arm helpfully in case the driver couldn't see him.

"Yoo-hoo!  I's over here!"

As the Deffdread trundled forward with hopes of destruction in his eyes, he knew one thing: It was a good day to be an Ork.
----------------------

Right, that Land Raider has got to go.  Normally this would be Deff-rolla time, but sadly enough, the Battlewagon isn't doing anything useful.  So I move in Grumgutz and the Nob Bikerz for help.  I also move BigToof out.  It's a bit of a run, but hopefully he'll make it in.  I also pop the Lootas out of their Wagon and move them up.  I'm not sure what to do with Lorilune, as she's so far away.  So I just boost her up and over to the far left corner.  She can deal with the Broadsides soon enough.
Shooting is good enough, as I take down another few Firewarriors and they decide to leave.  More Dakka into Maximus does very little...
Then to assault!  I get the Nobz in... and BigToof!
And it's a good thing, as the extra hits (wow it's easy to hit vehicles), turn a heavily damaged Raider into a massive crater.  The now disembarked Termies loose a member in the firepit.  Nobs?  Unhurt.  BigToof?  Clapping his hands like a two-year old with a faceful of cake.

Picture Caption: Wow.  That was... surprisingly easy...

Turn 2: Space Marines
----------------------
Shas'El'Sha'shera continued her meditation.  It was taking all of her willpower to not put a plasma bolt into the foul man's head.  She sighed.  It was a foolish mission on a foolish errand that she had been assigned to.  Was the Greater Good really worth this torment?  Couldn't they just assign a member of the Water Caste or someone who could deal with this nonsense and then...

"Shas'El!  Shas'El!"

The emergency channel brought her out of her painful thoughts.
"Shas'la?  Where are your other squad members?  What is going on?"

"Orks!  They have attacked us.  The Marines... they can do nothing!  We are going to die, Shas'El!  Please, help us!"

Sha'shera nodded, ending her channel.  Cursing to herself, she stood up to scan the horizon.  She was so taken about her personal feelings, she had let the entire mission fall into jeapordy.  But this was not the time for self-recrimination.  This was the time for action.
----------------------

The Marines get both the Scouts and the Shas'El.  The Scouts come in on the right side of the line, and get ready to play operation "go to ground until turn 5."  The Shas'El drops in pretty much on target with a generous view to the backside of the Battlewagon.  Maximus carefully zooms forward.  The Terminators also shuffle a tiny bit as they get horrendous difficult terrain checks.
As for shooting, the soon-to-die Broadsides fire on BigToof!  They hit square on and explode him into bits (sniff.  Don't worry, big guy, the Doks and Meks will piece you back together).  The Shas'El not too surprisingly explodes the Wagon, claiming the lives of about a third or so of the Shootas (oops).  The Librarian tries to do something psychic, but perils and takes a wound.
In Assault, the Terminators assault the Bikerz, who overwatch and actually drop a Terminator!  The assault still goes off.  The Librarian decides to challenge and I accept with Grumgutz.  It's a... short fight as the Librarian fails to even wound the mighty Warlord, and then the Boss slams the poor Libby into meat powder.  The other Terminators slam a few of the Nob Bikerz, but with 5+ invuls and FNP, we do MUCH better than in 5th, and actually shave the Termies down to a single member.

VPs:
Orkz: 5
SM/Tau: 2

Picture Caption: Ah, yes, carnage.  It's good to be back.

--------------------------

To Be Continued!

--------------------------

Turn 3: Orkz
-------------------------
Lorilune smiled, watching the rubble fly by as she raced forward on her Jetbike.  How had she had forgotten how exhilerating this was?  Grumgutz had wrecked her Jetbike and she had refused to demean herself by riding one of the noisy, patchwork Ork monstrosities. 
It was so long ago, but now, the instincts were coming back.

No.  SHE was coming back.  The Farseer of Saim-Hann had returned. 

Glancing forward, she saw the sad, blocky looking Tau battlesuits in front of her.  Reaching out with her mind, she felt a delicious bit of satisfaction as their minds collapsed under the weight of her will.  She was an Eldar.  One of the ancient, great powers.  Worlds would tremble at the mention of her name.
------------------------

Well... my Dakkajet still isn't incoming.  Joy.  But there's still more to be done.
Lorilune moves up, so do the Shootas (have to make sure they're clearly in the SM deployment zone).

Shooting is fairly straightforward, as Lorilune using Psychic Scream and the Broadsides roll something like a 14 for the Ld check... (ouch)
I spray a lot of fire into the Scouts, who of course go to ground and about half or so go down.

In assault, Grumgutz is still locked down by that one Termie who JUST won't die!

Picture Caption: Sing it, little Eldar girl, bring them down.

Turn 3: SM/Tau
---------------------
Sha'shera looked around the battlefield.  The marines had all but fallen, her own forces were in tatters.  If the Orks pushed forwards, they would all fall.  Looking around, she spotted a large number of Orks huddled behind a crude looking wall, half held together by very poor welding and hope. 

She took careful aim and fired her plasma and fusion bolts at the wall, expecting them to fly through with ease.  Instead, the wall somehow held, burning deep holes, but not penetrating.  She frowned.  The Orks were competent.  She mustn't let appearances fool her. 

The Orks began to notice her now, and she considered her options: fall back and regroup, which would be almost impossible, surrender and hope for mercy which was almost as impossible, or try something insane.

Crouching down, she waited for the Orks to fire.  Just as the first shots began to fly, she leapt into the air, coming down with a sickening crunch behind the wall on top of one of the green monsters.  Something seemed to snap inside of her, as she knocked the others aside and roared,

"I am Shas'El'Sha'shera of the TAU.  Fight me and DIE."

The Lootas around her paused for a moment, and then laughed.  Silly Fish'eads.  They'd show 'em how propa krumpin' was to be done!
----------------------

Well, there's not a lot to be done.  Maximus moves forward some more, trying to get within range of the Lootas.  Sha'shera fires at the Lootas and does... not too much.  She then, much to my great surprise, ASSAULTS.  The Lootas fire overwatch, but it all bounces off her armor.  She then crushes the life out of one Loota, but the others decide to stay (sigh...)

In assault, STILL can't kill that Terminator!

Picture Caption: Wait... is that Tau WILLINGLY going into assault?  ...  Are you sure that isn't a "counts-as" model?

VPs:
Orkz: 6
SM/Tau: 2

Turn 4: Orkz
--------------------
Grumgutz snarled, trying to hew down the Beakie with the fancy shield, but it just wasn't dropping.  Squaring his jaw, he just decided to go with it.  Then a smile came to his face as he heard a loud engine roaring from the sky.

His talky-talk scratched to life in a sputter of barely-comprehensible static.

"Boss?  It's Killboy.  I's got a bead on dat Shiny Head Beakie.  Youz wants me ta dakka him up some?"

Grumgutz laughed, "Sure, Killboy.  He's a hard one, dat Maxie.  So you better give 'em all you got.  Repeat, WAAARGH!"

"You got it Boss.  WAARGH! Over."
----------------------

My Dakkajet FINALLY comes in.  I move him over to get shots on Maximus.  Lorilune tentatively scoots forwards.  I don't want her anywhere near actual fighting.

So, anyway, more shooting from the Lootas into the Scouts finally almost drops them as they are still wallowing on their bellies in the backfield.  The Dakkajet also gets Grumgutz's thumbs-up for the WAARGH! and easily does something like a dozen wounds on Maximus.  He fails two.  (OH, SO CLOSE)

Assault is... sort of bad, as I get the brainfart of deciding to ASSAULT with the GROTZ into the Loota/Shas'El combat.  I mean, they're TAU, they're bad in close combat.  With the Grabba Stick, we'll knock down an attack and...  What's that?  A challenge?

Oops.

Ol' Zogwog moves forward to take it, otherwise my whole Grabba stick concept will fall flat on it's face.  The old Runtherd doesn't get to do much as he is unceremoniously smashed in the gob by the Shas'El.  At the sight of ACTUAL Tau competence...  EVERYONE runs.  Sigh.  Oh, and just to put salt in the wounds the Shas'El RUNS DOWN BOTH SQUADS.
Yes, Grumgutz fans.  Tau just ripped apart my center...

Oh, and yes, that Termie is STILL THERE.

Picture Caption: Did I just get owned?  By TAU?

Turn 4: SM/Tau
---------------------
Sha'shera took a moment to catch her breath as the last of the Orkz scattered to the winds.  The rush of combat, it was... nothing like she had expected.  It was not the way of the Tau to dirty one's self with combat, certainly not be arous...

A girlish scream brought her attention back to the battlefield.  A familiar Space Marine bike was being shot to pieces by a flying jet bristling with weapons.  As much as she hated the Gue'seva, she had pledged her life to fighting for the Greater Good.  That, she added, and it was a good time to see how effective Ork weapons could be...
---------------------

Maximus runs for the hills.  I smirk as he won't get that far with the Dakkajet on his heels.  But then I'm a bit appaled when I see the Shas'El jump in front of my now totally un-manned (err... un-Grotted) Quad-Gun!  We check the rules, but there's nothing about the enemy taking your gun over...

Four quick shots makes the Dakkajet into a flaming wreck... that lands pretty much right on the Lootas.  Who lose many in the explosion.  And then run off the board.

This just became a real match.

Picture Caption: Are we sure that's not really Draigo in that suit?

VPs:
Orkz: 6
Tau: 6

Turn 5: Orkz
----------------
Right, no more Mr. Nice Ork.  I move Lorilune over so that in case things go to Turn 6, I can Psychic Scream the Shas'El into next week.

Grumgutz FINALLY kills that Terminator.

Turn 5: Tau
---------------
The Shas'El jumps back, shoots the Quad Gun and destroys it (out of spite?).  My opponent tells me that it counts as a VP.  I'm not sure.  We check the book, but no clear wording either way.  So we 4+ it, and he wins.  Tau jumps back more, but not enough...

VPs:
Orkz: 7
Tau: 7

Well, it's a tie game right now... but it goes to Turn SIX.

Turn 6: Orkz
--------------
I move Grumgutz and Lorilune up.  I Psychic Scream at the Shas'El and fire an armload of Dakka into the Shas'El, but she HANGS ON with one wound.

Turn 6: Tau
-------------
The Shas'El fires at Lorilune, but doesn't do much.  She then bounces to the corner of the board.

The game ends.

I thought it was a tie, but then notice the Shootas firmly in SM territory, so that adds ONE VP, which means it's...

Result: Ork Victory!

------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, this was a real close fight that in hindsight shouldn't have been.  I didn't think that one Shas'El could do THAT much damage, and although she was lucky, it goes to show how the new edition does cater to single models (especially with 2+ armor saves!).

Now I haven't done one in a while, but here's my unit by unit breakdown:

Grumgutz: Great.  A hard hitting HQ that could easily krump anything that gave the Nob Bikers trouble.  Broke the Raider and basically threatened away anything that was giving us trouble on the right side of the board.

Nob Bikerz: Clearly MUCH more formidable than they were.  I walked through Bikers, Termies and all kinds of nonsense with not much to worry about.

Lootas: Perhaps even better as cover got worse.  I was able to easily shear down the Fire Warriors.

Shootas in Wagon: Uh... sorta... meh.  They did give me that one VP I needed to win, but their snap shots weren't all that eye-poppingly great.

Grots w/Quad Gun: This was a fun unit.  I liked having the Grots anyway, and the Quad Gun does make them actually useful!

Dakkajet: Hella fun.  I would have loved it to do more, but it basically took Maximus out of the game with a single volley and even did the Orky thing of almost costing me the game!  (Note to self: Move the Dakkajet AWAY from your front line)

BigToof: Although people say that Dreads are dead, I still like him.  Died horribly to melta, but well, that's not so different.  Sitting behind the Defense Line, he still has 4+, and acts as a good bodyguard for my squishy mates.  Plus, cheap.  You can't argue with cheap.

Lorilune w/Jetbikes: Wow.  Just... Wow.  Big Louie just tore up everything with her psychic mojo and kept the Orks safe from all kinds of problems.  Psychic powers can really be game changing.  Have to keep an eye on them.  48" in one turn is also silly amounts of movement.  I just wish that she could join the Big Five.  Now THAT would be a scary unit!

-----------------------

Lorilune shook her head at the heavily wounded Tau.  It was doing it's best to hide behind a tree, but the heavy damage was obvious even at this range.  Still, she had to admit, the alien was showing determination that she wasn't expecting.  Tau were supposed to be cowardly creatures, running at the first sign of an engagement, but this one, and the others with her were different. 

She heard a rumbling and saw Grumgutz idle to a stop with his Bikers.  It would soon be over.  There was no place to hide.  Sad really, but what could you expect from a naive group of hopeful creatures so far from...

And that was when the Warlord put his hands together and started clapping.  Slowly at first, but then with fervor that the other Nobs picked up on.  Lorilune felt her jaw drop and looked around at the other Eldar who were just as confused.

The Shas'El poked her head out, obviously struggling with battle damage and pain.

Grumgutz waved for the applause to stop and then spoke with a growling baratone,

"I's impressed Fish'ead.  Youz got a lotta guts.  You lot are supposed to be nothin' but Grots, but you got something 'ard in ya.  Right 'ard.  What's yer name?"

The Tau paused, still trying to struggle with the confusion on the whole scenario.

"My... my name is Shas'El'Sha'Shera.  Of the sept T'au.  I... do not expect mercy."

Grumgutz smirked as he watched the Nobz scratch their heads trying to figure out what "mercy" meant, and then continued,

"Naw, I ain't givin' nothin' of the sort.  You're a right good killa.  Hate to lose a Fish'ead that knows how to krump things up propa.  We'll meet again."

And with that the Warlord turned with his bodyguard and left.

After a few moments, (and a rather exasperated faceplam) the Eldar turned and left as well.

Shas'El'Sha'shera fell against the tree behind her.  The blaring of damage warnings still filled her ears and she could hardly see.  Pain unlike anything she had felt in ages was cutting through her limbs.  But, she had survived. 

"A right good killa" the huge Ork had said.  Sha'shera felt a strange smile come to her face.  They would meet again.  And next time she'd show the Ork exactly what kind of...

"Ah, Princess Sara!  There you are!"

Sha'shera turned her head to see Captain Maximus astride his bike, bandaged, but still arrogantly smiling.

"You can come out from hiding now.  I've seen the Orks off, no doubt frightened away by my magnificience.  It's a wonder that so much damage was done, no doubt it's Sigmund's fault.  In any case, it's good that we're both doing well."

Sha'shera winced and said, "But...  That's the problem, Captain.  We can't do much as you've been knocked unconcious by your bike suddenly exploding out from under you."

Maximus raised an eyebrow and was about to speak when the Shas'El fired a plasma bolt into his bike's fuel tank.  The bike ruptured into a massive explosion, sending the Captain end over end and landing headfirst into the ground.  Sha'shera kept her gun pointed towards him until her sensors verified that he was unconcious.  She nodded to herself.  Should have done that months ago...
BigToof Points:

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, now that was an epic finish. Looking forward to seeing The Prin. . .The Shas'El again.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 26, 2012, 04:33:38 PM
Ok, now that was an epic finish. Looking forward to seeing The Prin. . .The Shas'El again.

Thanks for your reply Jayne,
I really like Sha'Shera (Princess Sara) too.  Who knows?  We might see her again :)

I really wish I had saved some of the replies from a few days ago.  I know the regulars wrote some great comments and I only wish I could remember what they were so I could reply! :(

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Lord Sotek

I'd posted that I was completely blown away and sitting there with my jaw hanging open when I realized I was reading a legit battle report in which a lone Tau model roflstomps two units' worth of foes and obliterates them in assault.

And that on merit of such amazing badassery (and for having to put up with Brother-Captain Minimus Maxi-pad :P ) she was next in line on my list of the
'Toof Reports cast to sketch.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

BigToof

Quote from: Lord Sotek on July 26, 2012, 08:33:57 PM
I'd posted that I was completely blown away and sitting there with my jaw hanging open when I realized I was reading a legit battle report in which a lone Tau model roflstomps two units' worth of foes and obliterates them in assault.

And that on merit of such amazing badassery (and for having to put up with Brother-Captain Minimus Maxi-pad :P ) she was next in line on my list of the

Thanks for the reply Lord Sotek,
I really was amazed too at the whole Tau rofl-stomping thing.  I didn't expect so much craziness from a single model, but now I know!

BTW, not sure if I mentioned it, but thanks for the great sketch of the Eldar and Maximus that you made, it really made my day.  I would love to see what you could put up for Sha'shera, and of course, karma would be in the bargain as well :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on July 26, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

I really was amazed too at the whole Tau rofl-stomping thing.  I didn't expect so much craziness from a single model, but now I know!

BTW, not sure if I mentioned it, but thanks for the great sketch of the Eldar and Maximus that you made, it really made my day.  I would love to see what you could put up for Sha'shera, and of course, karma would be in the bargain as well :)

Best,
-BT

Hey when a Tau unit kills something in close combat, it is a moral victory for the Tau player and a moral blow for their opponents. :P

Will's on Fire

Rej

Good Rep! I like the princess too!

And yeah, there was one turn there where things go a little intense for you, I think the next rep is already up, I'm going head on over there and give it a read!

Thanks!
Phew...

BigToof

Thank you all for the very, very kind comments.

As it looks like the previous messages are going to take a bit in coming back, I will reply to everyone!  (What do you mean everyone?  I MEAN EVERYONE! /Busey )

Quote from: Brother Perturabo on July 14, 2012, 02:49:13 AM
WOOOO!!! THE BIG BAD WARBOSS IS BACK!

Pumped to see this. I haven't had a chance to play or even watch a 6th ed game yet, so it will be great to see how it goes. Nice to see some Tau, don't think I have ever seen them in any of your reports, and Sha'shera sounds quite entertaining in comparison to Maximus, who is always a good laugh especially when he is beaten down.

He is going to have some trouble shooting down that Dakkajet without anything with skyfire, and his only real ranged anti-tank being the broadsides. Granted they are quite deadly, but will they be used to shoot the jet down or instagib some nob bikers? We shall find out!

I am gonna pick Grumgutz in this one.

Thanks for the reply.
I really did enjoy playing Grumgutz in this one.  I did miss putting the Warlord back in the fray and really now, with the nerf to KFF and the... unfortunate implications of putting a Weirdboy in a list with a Farseer (as you'd be affected by the runes too...), the Warlord has made his triumphant return to 6th.  (Can you smell what Da Warlord is Cookin'??)

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 14, 2012, 03:07:47 AM
Hmmm, could well be interesting. I think Grumgutz will win this, that Dakkajet is a brutal killer. But as a venerable Shas'O, I have to root for the Greater Good to lead those misguided Imperials to victory. :)

Hi Jayne,
I replied to your other post, but wanted to thank you for your support and ahem... perhaps forshadowing the awful crazy that was the Shas'El running through my lines...

Quote from: Rej on July 14, 2012, 04:11:04 AM
Excellent. Been waiting for Grumgutz return, looking forward to where to story goes!

Quote from: Rej on July 27, 2012, 11:12:21 AM
Good Rep! I like the princess too!

And yeah, there was one turn there where things go a little intense for you, I think the next rep is already up, I'm going head on over there and give it a read!

Thanks!

Hi Rej,
Thanks for your continued support!  I really did like this one, and I'm glad that Sha'Shera (Princess Sara) is getting more fans!  I'll try to find a way to incorporate her into more stories.  You never know...  Let me know what you think of the DE one as well.  It doesn't have Lady D, but I'm working on some new developments over there as well...

Quote from: Cammerz on July 14, 2012, 10:54:19 AM
BT, you have just made me very happy.
Grumgutz and Da Big Five, and Lorilune, and Bigtoof da Dread, and a Dakkajet, and killing that fool Maximus again.
Couldn't be a better way to kick of 6th edition.

The fluff so far is fantastic, some of your best. This is a good sign of things to come. This'll be a good edition.

As for who'll win it, well, Maximus can never win against Grumgutz. This will be a massacre although I reckon the Tau Broadside battlesuits will make a decent show of themselves before probably dying in close combat.

Hi Cammerz!
Thanks for your reply.  I always like hearing from you, and hope that you liked this rep as well.  Your prediction for mayhem was dead on, although it wasn't the walk in the park that I was hoping for.
How did you like the development of Sha'shera?  If enough fans pop up, I'll definitely make that much more sure to make her a recurrent character :)

Quote from: crisis_vyper on July 26, 2012, 10:02:50 PM
Quote from: BigToof on July 26, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

Best,
-BT

Hey when a Tau unit kills something in close combat, it is a moral victory for the Tau player and a moral blow for their opponents. :P

Hi Crisis,
I think you had made other replies before the "oops," but apologies as I can't resurrect them from my cognitive facilities.  As for the Tau demoralization, I have to agree there.  It was just shaming to see my dozen-plus greenskins running from the worst combat army in the game!  Maybe next write-up will have me getting beatup by GK-Monkeys as well!

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on July 26, 2012, 11:20:55 PM
Great rep as always Big Toof. :D

- Will

Thanks Will,
I'm always glad to see your comments, and hope to see more in the future.

Thanks to all for your support.

More Batreps, as always, are on their way.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Well I had intended to wait for my reply to reappear but as that may be some time I'll leave you with the highlights;

It was a fantastic report,

I really enjoyed the Princess Sara character,

Maxi really got what was coming to him,

Looking in the Rulebook I'd say that the automated turret does not sacrifice a victory point when destroyed because it is actually an add-on for the Aegis Defence Line (which wasn't destroyed), and because several fortifications (including the defence lines) cannot actually be destroyed anyway.

And then I ended with the usual;

Job's a good un!