News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1k Guard vs Nids/ Nids vs Guard

Started by Chicop76, December 25, 2012, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

For the holidays me and a friend played a short game of 40k. He was mad that I destroyed him and said guard was utter bs. I than challenge him to switch armies and play the same game scenrio. If I win again than you know it is skill over models. The challenge was accepted so we played again.

Imperial Guard

HQ

Psyker

Elites
Marbo

Troops
10 veterans: Harker, 3 plasma, lascanon
5 platoon command: 4 plasma
30 guardsman: 3 flamers, 3 power axes, comissar w/ power axe

Fast attack
Armoured plasma sentinel
Scout heavy flamer sentinel

Heavy
Griffon

As you can see I ran a good list, but not an overpowering list. I told him I could run the vendetta, but what fun would that had been.

Nids

Hq
Tervigon: Claws, Regen, Toxic

Troops
25 termagaunts
10 termagaunts
Tervigon: Claws, Regen, Toxic

Elites
Zonathorpe
Hive Guard

Heavy
Trigon Prime w/ regen

A lot of big stuff. Glad I took the plasma weapons and have second thoughts on bring the Vendetta.

Game 1:

Well it went rather badly for the nids. I won with 12 vps against 2 vps. The score really doesn't reflect on how hard the game really went. This guy was spawing 12-15 gaunts all game till the 4th turn where on of his tervigons finally shut down and again in the 5th turn.

I did lose more points than he did, but I would say guard cheese carried the day hard. I have to admit it took me the second round of combat to realize how op huge guard squads really are.

Guard:

I knocked the dust of my models and ran some models to see if they are still worth running.

Psyker:

The Psyker I would say felt like a waste of points in a 1k game.  I so miss my command squad it would had really helped in this game. If I had it I could had gtg with Harker's squad giving them a +2 cover save in area terrain and than order them to be able to shoot again on my turn. Also twin linked against MCs would had really helped out. That being said the possible powers is not bad, but the command squad is much better. A command squad and a psyker wouldn't be abad ideal. It was nice that my psyker had 8 attacks on the charge against nids. To be honest the psyker is the reason why I did won the game in a way. His ability to kill gaunts with his high initiativa and attacks helped stop the nids in their tracs.

Veteran Squad:

Looking at how they performed they did pretty well. I would say plasma was a good bad choice since they shot so much my plasma gunners killed them selves. The game lasted to turn 6. I have to put an auto cannon team together, and that is why they had a lascanon. That being said they did help put down the Trygon. However I think the 3 grenade and autocannon concept is more the way to go more now than ever before. For the most part they fired on the guants and the zonathorpe. Due to their foward postion they had to kill anything that got near them and they did a really good job doing so. In fact after the Trygon fell, Zonathorpe dying, and 2-3 squads of bugs getting gun down the bug player shifted his forces to the rest of my army. He still sent bugs towards my veterans, but gave up trying to over run their postion. I would say it did feel like Custards last stand on that side of the board. It was equally important they held that side of the board due to my griffon only being 18" away from them and if they fell it would leave the Griffon vulnerable.

Command Platoon:

Besides granting my blob more shootin and plasma gunning the Trygon to death they didn't do much. I should had equiped them differant and ket them back since I didn't have a command squad. They did saved the veterans hided though when the Trygon was getting near enough to eat their face. They speed to the vets and rescue them by shooting 8 plasma shots into the Trygon. They was in a shaken chimera due to the hive guard shooting it. They had to jump out the chimera and give their lives for the veterans. Once the Trygon died the Command Platoon was eaten by bugs, a lot of bugs. What really helped is when the zonathorpe blew up the chimera and it exploded in a 6" radius. The explosion took out 18 gaunts which really helped. It is still good to see vehicles explode killing nids. T think about it it reminded me of a game I killed roughly 40 gaunts due to my vehicles blowing up in the hordes when I would tank shock my tanks in the middle of them.

Platoon:

The Vets and the Platoon squad did really well. My comment about 5th edition rules being changed to help the guard out is equally so in 6th edition. The flyer rules is the most obvious rule abuse, but I didn't realize how good the blob squad is now. I'll list what I would call the big block of chesse.

1. Moving and shooting. The ability to fall to a differant postion and shoot a full 24" made a huge differance in this battle. Throw in orders that is roughly 100 shots you can dish out from 30 away. Also I had to move the squad a few times in the game. I moved them away from the vets to give the vets more breathing room and had them and the two sentinel advance. After the chimera explosion I would say the tide was turning and he was getting rather close. My goal was to tie up his army till the game ended and win due to vps. Also I wanted to say overwatch with that many men was nasty. They overwatched a few times upon the gaunts and it kiled like half the squad which really helped in combat.

2. Challenges: This is too good of a rule for this squad. I had 5 characters including my Psyker in the squad. My poor Commissar died early due to him being to close to the front of my squad frm Trygon fire. Even so in the first round of combat he challenged my psyker with his 9 attack Tervigon. With claws and psyker powers the Tervigon can dish out 10 attacks on the charge. Needless to say turnning down certain death seemed like a good ideal. After the Tervigon killed 5 models and I need a 4 not to run which I some how pulled off I realise I can't keep doing that. He in my opinion made the mistake of throwing in 3 more gaunt squads in the battle. What I did at this point was to have my sargent issue or accept challenges. If the tervigon declies it is out the combat, if it accepts I am losing a sargent that is only giving up one wound instead of 3-8 guardsmen. My psyker with his high initiative butchered the incoming gaunts as well. By game end I killed all the gaunts, the tervigon had two wounds, and my Psyker, a sargent, and a guardsman was all that was left of my guard blob. My squad tied up his advancing army for two turns. Even though in the 7th turn I would had lost the squad my vets and my griffon at least would had still been a live.

Griffon: this unit performed really well. The ability to re roll the scatter dice helped with killing a ton of nids. On average I would say 6 gaunts a turn fell to this unit. This unit showed me how good barrage is in this game. The denying cover saves did help, but the ability to wound from the circle really helps to get rid of characters, etc. Besides wiping out nids and orcs. Against marnes I can take out a perticular model I want gone. Wounding 6 or more models I am bound to get a few failed savings throws.

Over all if the game was objective based I would had lost. I made a lot of mistakes in that game though. However I would hd focused more on the Tervigons if vps wasn't the wining factor. By games end I lost around 35 guardsman and a chimera to roughly 100 gaunts, zonathorpe, trygon. I killed a lot of gaunts and the lucky gaunt spawing did factor into the game.

BigToof

Interesting game Chicop!

I'm rather surprised that you were so light on Anti-tank, but I suppose against Tyranids it wasn't as immediately compromising.

Good to see you playing again, and looking forward to the next!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on December 29, 2012, 03:44:04 PM
Interesting game Chicop!

I'm rather surprised that you were so light on Anti-tank, but I suppose against Tyranids it wasn't as immediately compromising.

Good to see you playing again, and looking forward to the next!

Best,
-BT

We did know what we where playing aganist and I was trying to play a nice list. To be honest I didn't expect to win with the list that I had against that nid list. I mean what can you do against a Tervigon with 10 attacks! The Tyranids luckly can run a lot of psykers which is so great to play against. My opponent was really upset that he lost, so I suggested switching armies and I did better with his than he did with mine.

The veteran squad and the griffon will see more future use. I am debating rather or not to even bother with a psyker with guard. Looking through the powers I may chose other powers besides biomancy or pyromancy. The hq guard squad is too good not to play and I felt the lost of not playing with that unit.

I may play another game, but been rather busy and this game was dusting off the cob webs of some of my models. Still love my plasma sentinel, but the scout sentinel is way too easy to kill.