News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Horribly mundane suggestion

Started by Mabbz, August 03, 2013, 10:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

Ok this might sound a little petty, but can the code for the 8) emoticon be changed? At the moment it's 8 ) but without the space. The problem is that I've repeatedly seen it messing up numbered lists. Can it be changed to 8-) or something?

Narric

I have seen that altered version used on a fair number of websties, potentially for this exact reason.

I don't see how it could be too hard to change.

Sorck

6)
7)
8)
9)

It is possible to write lists as above without causing smileys to appear out of nowhere.

Could those methods not be used? I would rather not change a smiley code that has been used throughout the forum as it currently is.

Mabbz

Quote from: Sorck on August 03, 2013, 09:10:37 PM
6)
7)
8)
9)

It is possible to write lists as above without causing smileys to appear out of nowhere.

Could those methods not be used? I would rather not change a smiley code that has been used throughout the forum as it currently is.
I didn't know that nobbc tag existed, or that lists could be used in that way. Perhaps a button could be added for the nobbc tag?

As for not wanting to change the code, I admit it would muck up a number of posts unless you found a way to update them to the new code, but it's quite a small change. I doubt it'd be noticed. In fact, I'm fairly sure that smiley isn't even used that much, while I have seen tons of broken lists that people don't bother to fix. I think switching it would probably fix more posts than it would break :-\.

Sorck

Quote from: Mabbz on August 03, 2013, 09:19:52 PM
6)
7)
8)
9)

I didn't know that nobbc tag existed, or that lists could be used in that way. Perhaps a button could be added for the nobbc tag?
Could you suggest an appropriate icon?

As for not wanting to change the code, I admit it would muck up a number of posts unless you found a way to update them to the new code, but it's quite a small change. I doubt it'd be noticed. In fact, I'm fairly sure that smiley isn't even used that much, while I have seen tons of broken lists that people don't bother to fix. I think switching it would probably fix more posts than it would break :-\.
The only other method would be to either manually crawl through all posts or perhaps make a more intelligent BBCode parser which wouldn't allow smileys at the start of lines.

Mabbz

Quote from: Sorck on August 03, 2013, 09:30:30 PM
6)
7)
8)
9)

Could you suggest an appropriate icon?
An icon to represent code that stops other code from working; an anti-code, if you will... The only thing that springs to mind is the classic red circle with a line though it. It's no more cryptic than the icon for spoilers.

Quote from: Sorck on August 03, 2013, 09:30:30 PM
The only other method would be to either manually crawl through all posts or perhaps make a more intelligent BBCode parser which wouldn't allow smileys at the start of lines.
As I said, I'm fairly sure that if you just changed the code, breaking all  8)'s while fixing numbered lists, you would actually fix more posts than you'd break as I think numbered lists are used more often than  8)'s, and are generally more important to a post's content. I think newly broken posts would likely go unnoticed. Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue here.

InsaneTD

I hadn't seen a post with that smilie in months and that was in the enclave. I don't think anyone will much care if you do change it.