News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The News Feed is your Friend

Started by Narric, December 14, 2013, 04:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This is to all that frequent the forum.

I am keeping the News Feed at the top-right up to date, so keep an eye on it everytime you resfresh the page, there could be something to interest you ;)

Don't worry about clicking links, as they currently open a new tab, so if you're i the middle of writing a reply or new posts, that won't be interrupted ^_^

Sorck

I just went into the news control panel. I was shocked. There were more than a page of items. :o

That's a lot of news you're managing Narric. ^-^

Narric

Stops it becoming stale :P

I did consider adding "If you're reading this, you're AWESOME!!" but my gf convinced me not to mess around too much :P

Sorck

Quote from: Narric on December 16, 2013, 11:18:58 AM
Stops it becoming stale :P

I did consider adding "If you're reading this, you're AWESOME!!" but my gf convinced me not to mess around too much :P
I log everything you change. Just thought I'd say. :P

Narric

I'll be honest, I'm not sure f thats a Threat or a joke or something :P

silverfuge

Tbh I think its a "I love what you have done but mess with my baby and daddy got a shotgun with your name on it".

It shows activity and that can only breed more activity as the saying goes. However a certain level or professionalism mist be maintained. Keep the jokes for the threads but for me the news feed is part of the visitors first visual of the site. So any jokes may give the impression that's what we are.

again because I feel it needs saying good job on the update.
Gm is God

Irisado

Trying to use announcements to encourage forum activity is a good idea, but I'm not sure whether you're going to achieve that aim with the news being tucked away where it is.  Ideally, you need a forum front page for that sort of thing, but that probably requires a portal block, or something similar.

Thanks for the updates though.  The news hadn't changed in a long time.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

We used to have a front page, and personally I do miss it. Maybe it could be re-implamented when the forum is more active?

Anyway, its good o hear people have noticed the changes to the news feed ;)

Irisado

The problem is that all 40K related forums that I've visited are suffering from a relative decline in activity, so this is a change that you may want to implement sooner rather than later to try to draw in some additional traffic.  It might not work, but it can't hurt to give it a go.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

silverfuge

IS there a reason for this trend in downward activity? Are people leaving Games workshop in droves?  I know with other gaming companies they usually have a very good forum of their own so people tend not to post else where.
Gm is God

Irisado

We've been discussing a few reasons for activity related issues here, and on subsequent pages of that thread.  Feel free to join in :).

Hive Lord

Quote from: silverfuge on December 30, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
IS there a reason for this trend in downward activity? Are people leaving Games workshop in droves?  I know with other gaming companies they usually have a very good forum of their own so people tend not to post else where.

The reason for the downward trend on our forum is probably because we don't appear in the first ten pages on any google search for '40k forums', 'warhammer 40k forums' or similar. We've had very few new members since we all moved over to 2S, and people moving on from the hobby or the forums aren't being replace with fresh faces...

CoffeeGrunt

I've noticed that aside from DakkaDakka and ATT, 40K seems to be pretty quiet on the forum front.

Hell, I signed up on 3++'s forum before Christmas, and there's been like, five posts since, mostly from the admin. They haven't even replied to my Intro post since the 17th December.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Irisado

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 04, 2014, 07:04:46 PM
I've noticed that aside from DakkaDakka and ATT, 40K seems to be pretty quiet on the forum front.

Yes, even WarSeer's 40K section has slowed in the last year or so.  All forums for 40K, apart from Dakka, are appear to be suffering traffic decreases.

QuoteHell, I signed up on 3++'s forum before Christmas, and there's been like, five posts since, mostly from the admin. They haven't even replied to my Intro post since the 17th December.

That's more a blog, and not a very friendly one in my opinion, than it is a forum, so I'm not surprised.

CoffeeGrunt

Yeah, I posted a comment on that Blog and kinda got dogpiled with hate. Was a nice intro into their...'community.'

I can't actually see where the News Feed is, though.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.