News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Creating a Competative Cross Format Daemon Army on a Budget

Started by Arguleon-veq, March 04, 2013, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

With such similarities now between the fantasy and 40K daemon books I have been looking at ways to make an army that will work in both formats with virtually the same list. With the growning cost of getting a new army I also want it to stay around the £200 mark as opposed to the 300 or 400 it usually costs for an army these days. To top it off I'm also going to try and stick with a theme (so mixing gods as little as possible).

HQ/Lords

Bloodthirster; I think this guy works fine in both games, in 40K he is great in combat, hard to kill and even provides nice anti air thanks to vector strike and his whip at rear armour. This now locks us into khorne for our theme.

Troops/Core

Bloodletters; 60 of them allows us to take 4 units of 15 in 40K which should be fairly effective. In fantasy it gives us 2 30 strong hordes which again is nice and effective.

FA/Special

Flesh Hounds; If we use Chaos Hound models it makes this option very cheap and provides us with what IMO is the best daemon unit in 40K. We would get 3 boxes and have 2 units of 15 in 40K. In fantasy we would have 3 units of 5 to act as chaff killers, flankers and missile hunters. Whilst not as good in fantasy they are still a very usable unit.

HS/Rare

Skull Cannons; These are game breaking in fantasy so we will include 2. A cannon on a powerful chariot, with a ward for 5 points more than an empire cannon, amazing. Whilst not quite as good in 40K they are effective against hordes and help our bloodletters in combat. So for 40K we will include 1.

Soul Grinders; For fantasy we can include one soul grinder with the stone thrower upgrade giving us a great firebase. For 40K we can take 2 with phglem upgrades to give us 3 large blast a turn and effective anti air. Now thanks to the upgrades we have taken and the fact we have a khorne theme means that we can use the much cheaper (on ebay as they are not a popular choice) defiler instead. The armour on them is fitting for khorne and the battlecannon works great for the stonethrower/phglem upgrades.

Cost

Assuming you use an online store like darksphere which gives upto 25% off and you get the defilers on ebay and use chaos hounds as flesh hounds you are looking at this army costing just over £200. That gets you a competative 2400 point fantasy army and a competative 1850 point 40K army. With the only changes between formats being switching the second soul grinder in 40k for a second skullcannon in fantasy and adding 15 extra flesh hounds for 40K.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

I like the direction the army is put to.

My question is, how do you plan on making the models work for both systems? Magnets on feet, and swap the bases? I can see that becoming messy very fast.

Without owning the Codex myself (I'm sort'of on my way out from anything GW) ,all I can say is it seems a very scary list to face from a Tau perspective. This list will more than likely chew up anything in CC.

Do the Cannon & Grinder provide much Anti-air firepower?

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric on March 08, 2013, 08:08:33 PM
I like the direction the army is put to.

My question is, how do you plan on making the models work for both systems? Magnets on feet, and swap the bases? I can see that becoming messy very fast.

Without owning the Codex myself (I'm sort'of on my way out from anything GW) ,all I can say is it seems a very scary list to face from a Tau perspective. This list will more than likely chew up anything in CC.

Do the Cannon & Grinder provide much Anti-air firepower?

He can simply use fantasy bases or the cirle ones can fit in the square trays.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah the letters go on round bases who then fit in square unit movers, hounds can go on normal cav bases, defiler can simply be placed on a large fantasy bases when needed but one cannon and the thirster will need to be pinned.

Its not list I'm going to get I don't think, more just a guide for anybody wanting a super cheap effective army. It come about because my mate has had a thirster and 40 bloodletters for ages and 2 defilers lying around, but he didn't want chaos marines and didn't have enough for khorne daemons. He also collects chaos warriors and has loads of hounds so this army will cost him hardly anything, going from a few random models to 2 full armies. He even has spare chaos chariots and ogre leadbelchers who he is going to put on the chariots and have them pulled by hounds for the skullcannons so all he needs is 20 bloodletters.

The soul grinder has fairly nice anti air, 3 S7 skyfire shots that are importantly on a very hard to kill model.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Don't forget the herald!
You don't want your mates getting stuck in on a bunch of terminators and never leaving.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on March 10, 2013, 06:06:35 AM
Don't forget the herald!
You don't want your mates getting stuck in on a bunch of terminators and never leaving.

Best,
-BT

I agree. I didn't notice the herald was left out. They are sooo worth taking with squads. The upgrade character and herald with ap 2 weapons is really helpful.