News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tomb Lords First List

Started by Narric, July 14, 2019, 03:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Small combat patrol force of Tomb Lords.

At present, the Lieutenant and sergeants are not named, but hopefully they'll acrue titles in time.

500pt list intended for Warhammer 40k, 9th Edition. Designed in Battlescribe.

Chapter
Imperial Fists

HQ
Primaris Lieutenant [5PL, 90pts]
Warlord Trait: Architect of War
Wargear: Neo-Volkite Pistol and Storm Shield, Master-Crafted Power Sword

Troops
Assault Intercessor Squad (5) [5PL, 110pts]
Sergeant: Plasma Pistol, Power Fist

Intercessor Squad (5) [5PL, 100pts]
Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

Elites
Scout Squad (5) [6PL,90pts]
Sergeant: Plasma Pistol, Power Sword
Squad: Shotguns, Camo Cloaks

Transport
Razorback [6PL, 110pts]
Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

Total = 500pts

Partly due to points limits, this small force is very light on special wargear. However, all models are equipped with Frag and Krak grenades, which can provide a minor amount of cover for the force's weaknesses.
Primarily, this force is to allow me to get back into the game with as few different rules that need to be remembered, while still providing a good amount of flexibility on the field.

Looking forward to finishing getting the models together for this, and having my first proper games of 9th edition.

Cammerz

I presume (based on your post in the hobby section) that one of those is an Assault Intercessor squad.

Which weapon do you intend to use for the regular Intercessors? Regular bolt rifles aren't as good now against any army with Armour of Contempt (power armour) so if you're expecting to fight any variant of Astartes or Sororitas then you might be better off going Auto (for more shots) or Stalker (so you still have some AP and that bonus damage).

As the only squad that can travel in the Razorback, are the scouts are going in there or is your plan to start them up the board in concealed positions, if the former then they might not get much use out of the camo cloaks and you could find a heavy weapon a better use of the points (a missile launcher in that squad or something heavier on the Razorback), you don't seem to have much anti-tank (they aren't too common at 500pts but you never know, a friend of mine is planning on fitting a Riptide in his Combat Patrol).

One last thing I'd suggest is looking into relics, your lieutenant can grab something like the Burning Blade for more close combat punch or the Vox Espiritum for bigger aura range. The Imperial Fists supplement might also have some fun special issue wargear if you don't like the look of any of the core codex relics.

Good luck with the games.

Narric

Quote from: Cammerz on May 26, 2022, 05:16:31 PM
I presume (based on your post in the hobby section) that one of those is an Assault Intercessor squad.
Plasma Pistol and Power Fist is the Assault squad, as now adjusted. So far as I can tell, Initiative penalties have been removed, at least for the Astartes equipment?

QuoteWhich weapon do you intend to use for the regular Intercessors? Regular bolt rifles aren't as good now against any army with Armour of Contempt (power armour) so if you're expecting to fight any variant of Astartes or Sororitas then you might be better off going Auto (for more shots) or Stalker (so you still have some AP and that bonus damage).
For the Vanilla Intercessors, I'm limited to the push-fit models that came from the 8th Edition First Strike and Paint set, so they're equipped with basic Bolt Rifles.
I'm currently unsure what I'd be facing though. Surprisingly my MtG playgroup  has indirectly gotten the Warhammer bug thanks to the Crossover set Wizards is producing, and so far I've seen mention of Orks, Necrons, Eldar and of course some flavour of Space Marines.

QuoteAs the only squad that can travel in the Razorback, are the scouts are going in there or is your plan to start them up the board in concealed positions, if the former then they might not get much use out of the camo cloaks and you could find a heavy weapon a better use of the points (a missile launcher in that squad or something heavier on the Razorback), you don't seem to have much anti-tank (they aren't too common at 500pts but you never know, a friend of mine is planning on fitting a Riptide in his Combat Patrol).
I was unaware that the Primaris could not embark the Razorback. If that is the case, I'd probably drop the Razorback, and find something else to fill the pts and pl space. At present the Primaris, Assault and vanilla Intercessors are already modeled, so the Scouts and Razorback are much easier to outright swap out. Just currently unsure what to suitably replace them with.

QuoteOne last thing I'd suggest is looking into relics, your lieutenant can grab something like the Burning Blade for more close combat punch or the Vox Espiritum for bigger aura range. The Imperial Fists supplement might also have some fun special issue wargear if you don't like the look of any of the core codex relics.
I have Battlescribe on both my Phone and Desktop, and I believe the Desktop version of the list has the Lieutenant bare the Burning Blade, which without playing a game yet just looks so damn good by comparison.

Cammerz

It isn't just initiative penalties that have been removed, the entire characteristic was removed from the game at the start of 8th edition. These days the fight phase starts with all units that charged that turn and then each player alternates between units that didn't charge starting with the player whose turn it isn't. I had a game earlier today and there was usually a lot of tactics involved with choosing the order for units to fight; "the unit attacking my bikes have already gone so they're now safe for the rest of the phase, the poxwalkers aren't much of a threat, I'd be better striking with my dreadnought next because the terminators could wreck it if they strike ahead of it" and so forth.

Power fists now get a -1 to hit rule so you'll typically hit on a 4+ instead of a 3+.

If you want a transport to replace the Razorback then the cheap Primaris version is the Impulsor, otherwise I'd suggest looking at anti-armour units like: Devastators, Eradicators or Attack Bikes.

Narric

Hmmm, so I've nickel and dimed my way through the list with Battlescribe, and come up with the following replacements

Take out the Scouts and Razorback entirely

Elites
Bladeguard Veterans (3) [5PL, 110pts]
Sergeant - Neovolkite Pistol

Fast Attack
Invader ATV [4PL, 85pts]
Multi-Melta

Ignore this :P

Fast Attack
Attack Bike [2PL,50pts]
Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad (5) [8PL, 150pts]
Sergeant - Thunderhammer
Squad - 3x Missile Launchers

I did at one point consider the Hellblasters with the Assault variant. Even if vehicles are T8 in general, that'd still be a chunk of firepower flying at them with each model having 3shots each.

At least with the Missile Launchers, I have the versatility I want to be able to engage both armoured and hoard base forces. Kinda of funny that I have a single Devastator marine without a heavy weapon XD

The attack bike was thrown in to fill the points, but at least it can be a fast moving harassment unit.