News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Behind Enemy Lines - WH:40k using Covert Operations rules (sign up/OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 18, 2016, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Sorry, got distracted by a skype-based RP XD

How secure is McTavish's cell? Could Hertius see a window to it? Would it be possible for him to use his servo-arm to tear the wall/window apart for McTavish to escape?

Keep the two Rebels shooting anything Tau.

Would Hertius have some sort of Flare to use to signal the rebels to retreat?

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on July 26, 2016, 08:05:12 PM
And I wasn't invited? Rocks fall everyone dies :P

How secure is McTavish's cell? Could Hertius see a window to it? Would it be possible for him to use his servo-arm to tear the wall/window apart for McTavish to escape?
By our real life standards, its a very solid wall of reinforced concrete. By the standards of a Techpriest, it's shoddy workmanship that you could probably pull apart in a few minutes tops. AV10, one penetrating hit will open a hole wide enough for McTavish. That said, I will then roll a D6; on a 1-3, the Fireblade and company hear you. Narrative points can be used to re-roll that though.

Keep the two Rebels shooting anything Tau.

Would Hertius have some sort of Flare to use to signal the rebels to retreat?
I'd imagine that if anyone's short range comms are secure, Hertius does. You can contact Maria easily.

Narric

Quote from: Mabbz on July 26, 2016, 09:26:06 PM
And I wasn't invited? Rocks fall everyone dies :P
How convienient, we just killed everyone for a reset :P

I'll say Hertius will attempt to break the wall, and I'll use one NP for the Klaxon re-roll.

Mabbz

Well that went well. McTavish is free and armed, and if you're interested those fire warriors are only 7" away. The crisis is 12". On the other hand, getting into a battle with a hammerhead without any decent anti-tank is probably a bad idea, so running may be a good idea. Let's hear your actions.

Narric

Part of me really wants Hertius to just charge around the compound to attack the hammerhead from the rear.

The more sensible choice would be to take out the Crisis Suit and Fire Warriors. What gear does the Battlesuit have?

Mabbz

The Crisis Suit has a missile pod and burst cannon, and nothing else (I ran into my points limit).

Narric

I think a Heavy Bolter and Autocannon are a decent enough threat at the moment :P

Would I be right to assume that without the Devilfish, while we could leave the board and escape, it would narratively mean the Tau are closer on our heels? Especially with a Hammerhead behind us.

Mabbz

Yes. And with the devilfish's gun destroyed, I can safely say that Maria will want to get out ASAP before her beloved ride gets railgunned. She could try heading north west to lead them all away from you two.

Also, I now ship Maria and the Fish. If the Fish survives, I want to give it a name. Dory perhaps?

Wargamer

Much as I want to stand and fight, bugging out might be the wiser course of action.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Downside to bugging out is exposing the Fish's rear armour to a weapon that will auto-penetrate.

Crazy idea, could Hertius rip the Missile Pod off the Crisis suit, and get a few shots off against the Hammerheads side armour?

Mabbz

Uh...

Um...

Not easily. You want a missile pod you need to rip it off and spend at least a few minutes playing with the wiring. Also, extra rockets are stored in the suit, so you'd get three missiles max.

In short, you can. But you'd need good rolls and time to tinker, so it isn't practical.

Narric

How about Wire the missiles into some sort of grenade and throw that at the hammerhead? :P

OK, there has to be someway of getting rid of that darn Hammerhead XP

Mabbz

McTavish has melta bombs, if you can get near enough. But honestly, you probably don't need to worry about destroying it. The Tau aren't going to send an unsupported hammerhead into the city to pursue you, you can go flat out to get out of range and use the urban terrain to avoid line of sight, and the few shots they get get off can be jinked to avoid. The hammerhead is a threat, but only if you try and face it head on. Which you should not be doing, because in case you've forgotten, the rules we are using are called Covert Operations.

You seem to have forgotten that you're meant to be using stealth for this. Your plan for this mission consisted of immediately opening fire on some of the various sentries, alerting them to your presence and forcing your troops to get into a firefight just to survive, which alerted more sentries. Oh, and having Maria toss a grenade into a building full of fire warriors. End result? You gave the Tau 4 klaxon counters on turn 1, and they all came running.

If you had taken the time to hide in the garage and ambush the guards in melee, you could have taken them down at most one klaxon counter gained. Or you could have had half your force follow Hertius, while the rest locked the devilfish hatches and had the translator bluff the guards for a few turns, saying the doors were jammed. There's probably other options I haven't thought of. It was possible to do this mission without ever even seeing the hammerhead.

Narric