News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The Armies/Collections of Second Sphere

Started by Arguleon-veq, December 07, 2013, 12:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I thought we should make a thread in which we can all show pics of our collections alongside perhaps a little background info and any noteworthy victories they have had. Once we get a decent pool i'll collect them into a thread and sticky it. It doesnt matter if some of your stuff needs fixing or painting, its just fun to see what other people have in their collection!.

This is most of my Guard although I have a lot still to be made, I havent really settled on fluff for them but I do want them to be 'Mixed Arms' Regiments, designed to be able to operate alone and without the aid of dedicated Armour/Artillery regiments etc.

There are 8 Special Weapons teams on the right, no idea how I ended up with that many special weapons, 4 with 3 Melta, 2 with 3 Plasma, 1 with 3 Flamers and 1 with 3 Snipers.

Each infantry squad has a Flamer and Autocannon and there is a Lascannon team and a Missile Launcher team at the back.

Storm Troopers/Ogryns/Rough Riders/Psykers on the right.

2 Salamanders, 2 Basilisks, 2 Chimeras, 1 Demolisher, 1 Exterminator, 3 Leman Russ, 1 Vendetta.

Its all seen game time, my faves being the Ogryns and Sentinels although they dont get as much use as they should because they really dont cut it. The elements that are actually painted are from my Wolf/Guard alliance army I took to a tournament but I only finished mid table with it as by the time I had it ready to take to a tournament the meta had passed by and the list was pretty much invalid thanks to Tau! Still Guard are one of only 3 armies I have used at tournaments [the others being Space Wolves and Eldar].
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

This is the sad, sad remnants of my Arbites, I had well over 100 old metal Arbites and 30+ of the later Enforcers but thanks to a stupid mistake after a model sorting session of me spreading across the worktop and onto the hob, which was obviously off at the time, knocking the on switch by accident and leaving the room only to realise what had happened when I smelt melting metal coming from my kitchen to find over 100 Arbites melted into a puddle of metal on my hob  :'(.

4x5 Squads each with 3 Shotguns, 1 Grenade Launcher and Proctor with Shock Maul and Bolt Pistol
4 Cyber Mastiffs
10 man Squad with 4 Heavy Stubbers, 6 Shotguns
5 man Squad with Shields and Shock Mauls

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

These are my Death Guard/Plague Marines

The fluff for them is based around a Death Guard warband who are conquered after being betrayed by their Sorcerer, tired of his comrades distrust of his abilities [old prejudices dying hard]. He strikes a pact with a Nurgle aligned warband named The Companions of Thanatos so you will see that most of the more elite troopers in the force have or will have different armour [so most champs, the lord, most special weapon troopers etc]. The spawn are marines from the old Death Guard warband who most displeased the Sorcerer and he now goads them into battle. The fluff worked really well with the old Dreadnought rules as he is part of the old order you can understand why he sometimes gets a little annoyed and shoots his new rulers!

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Thantos

Quoteonly to realise what had happened when I smelt melting metal coming from my kitchen to find over 100 Arbites melted into a puddle of metal on my hob  :'(.

NOOOOOOO!! O_O I weep for you brother enforcer! That must be the most dramatic end to a rare OOP set of models ever.

Lovely armies and solid painting ;) Give the Arbites some love!

Narric

I actually don't have much anymore. Only my squad of Black Ops Snipers, some wip Exo-lords and some A.R.C.  Drones.

Pictures are a little outdated, as I' have worked on them since I took these.

Arguleon-veq

Nice models Narric, really like those Terminator style guys.

It was heartbreaking Thantos, I think I havent painted them because it still hurts just to look at the survivors!  :P, I tried my best for them I was burning my hands picking them out of the pool of metal and breathing in the fumes, I have a guy that has his chest and half his head melted off and another that is whole but with a huge lump of metal stuck around him, I should have taken pics of those poor fellas.

These are my Eldar, probably my army that has seen the most use over the years. Thanks to being one of my regular tournament armies though they are very much a 3 colour army although it does mean most of it is actually painted!

Craftworld Charon, lurking around the Mealstrom, kind of Ulthwe light as they are also big on Psykers.

No idea why I have 17 Fire Dragons or how I ended up with that number, or 40 Guardians.

Falcons lazily converted into Wave Serpents because......well because they are better now  ;)

The Bike Council including two Farseer Bikes [the guys on Vypers] I really like the Warlock Bikers, shame the painting is so basic on them.

20 Wave Serpent Riders, formally known as Dire Avengers. Most of these guys are just made from spare parts in my bits box as I had loads of Dire Avenger heads from an old CJ Harlequin army I was converting years ago. Theres still around 20 Harlequins hovering at the back of these picks somewhere too.

I miss using the Avatar, as you can see by the chipped paintwork, him and the Wraithguard have fallen out of use this edition but they were always in my list last edition even for tournaments, they actually got me first place in the first tournament I ever went even though it had a few of the top players in the country attending.

Really should get this guy painted up, he just sucks so bad in game! he is one of my fave models though.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

These are my Salamanders

The 60 Tacs, would like to finish this army up to be a full company.

30 Scouts, its another one of those where I have no idea why I have so many, I do love the old metal scout models though not the new plastics that make them look like Frankenstiens monster [or Phil Jones, seriously look at a new plastic scout, then look at the Man Utd player Phil Jones].

5 Dreads including one with Inferno Cannon, I use this guy as a Furioso with Frag Cannon when I want to use my army as Blood Angels, then the Libby Dread, because they look awesome. Dreads are my one of the things I like most about 40K even if they do suck in the game.

All the tanks have Salamander doors, including the Land Raider. I do have another Baal I need to make and have the Salamander front plate for it but because they suck now I havent got around to it.

Pretty character light really, considering theres about 5,000 points here, I should get the Masters of the Chapter box I have made and painted so I actually have some power armoured Captains!
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

This is my own Chapter, I never settled on a name for them. I really like Warhounds but that has obviously already seen use, I want something to do with dogs in their name. I was also thinking Mollosians or Molloser Marines. They are essentially big game hunters, all about bringing down the biggest creature/tank on the table.

Unusually for me a fair bit of this is painted. Thats because they were part of my Wolves/Guard tournament army for a little while. It made me NEVER EVER want to paint a white army again. I tried 4 different base coat sprays and they all either went on too thick or kind of cracked when they were drying no matter what I tried, I have never had this problem with any other colour. I also couldnt even get a normally applied layer of white to look right.

Then I start  reading painting guides on it and to really do white, you have to start with light grey, do about 3 different coats, lightening as you go?!. When you can buy white sprays that should do the job but just wont!. Drove me crazy as I already had the colour scheme set  in my head and had a tournament to get them all painted for which I left until the last week as I figured 'white will be easy, I have white spray.....'  :facepalm001:
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Pilum

QuoteThen I start  reading painting guides on it and to really do white, you have to start with light grey, do about 3 different coats, lightening as you go

Well, for a special model, yeah, but rank and file? Space Wolf Grey and a quick drybrush of white at the most basic (which I used for the pants of some not-Napoleonic-British-Mordians a loooong time ago) but that can lack a bit of definition. For my guardians, I shaded them with a quick wash of really really really really really really really (er, you get the idea!) watered down black ink - almost dirty water - and then did the drybrush. They didn't turn out too bad...

The photos aren't ace - I'll really have to take some more, especially of the whole collection - but hopefully you get the idea.
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Thantos

Lookin good ;D Im trying to work out what flock that is - it looks actually like how grass should do at that scale - not like green stones or fluffy green fur :P

Pilum

Couldn't tell you the exact shade as it's not on the bag - I think it was on a cardboard topper, LONG since been ripped off! - but it's by a company called "Javis of Stockport". They have a website but it's meant to be trade only. I got it from my local model shop, I suspect it's meant to be model railway scatter. "Superfine", apparently.

http://www.javis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=2
one of them on there, I reckon. Specifically the first one on page one "L. Mead Gre", that looks most similar.
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Pilum

Right, my turn - I put it off as I had an entry I the Flyers contest (thanks for the vote, whoever you were!) and it didn't seem right to throw this up while that was running. Now it's done, though:

In case they're a bit difficult to make out:
Front L to R: Wave Serpent, Guardians, Dire Avengers (there are two exarchs there; the one with the glaive is a converted Old Metal Guy), Jetbikes (squadron leader/bike-riding character (it changes, but generally he's a warlock) has been kitbashed), Fire Dragons, Rangers
Rear: Swooping Hawks(Old Metal), Farseer (Eldrad model), Generic Kitbashed Psyker, Crimson Hunter (or should that be Silver Cyclone in this case? ;) ), Dark Reapers, War Walkers.

I won't throw up close ups as I'm not sure what the protocol is on entering contests with previously seen models and this IS my collection at the moment, but if anyone's interested I'll post them.

CoffeeGrunt

I might assemble the Cadre tonight, though I'm kinda scared to given the recent influx of unpainted Grey Tide. That, and I really don't wanna put a census on how much money I've spent on Tau! xD

I also don't actually have a big enough table to display them on at once, so I may have to showcase them on the floor. Fun times!
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Brassclaw

OK here are my collections

TYRANIDS - Hive Fleet Cerberus

WHAT'S THERE?
1 Tyrannofex, 4 Carnifexs, 1 Hive Tyrant, 4 Zoanthropes, 16 Tyranid Warriors, 20 Genestealers
WHAT'S LEFT TO COLLECT?
2 Tyranid Warriors, 2 Zoanthropes and another Hive Tyrant

CHAOS MARINES - Worldeaters

WHAT'S THERE
6 Rhinos, Kharn, Chaos Lord, 8 Raptors, 8 Possessed, 3 Obilterators, 40 Berzerkers, Predator, Forgefiend, Heldrake
WHAT'S LEFT TO COLLECT?
8 Terminators (looking at the Red Butchers Terms in Forge World) Lord of Skulls

IMPERIAL GUARD - Traitor Guard

WHAT'S THERE
Command Squad, 20 Veterans(Forge World Renegade militia/Chaos Cultists) , 2 Leman Russes
WHAT'S LEFT TO COLLECT?
20 Veterans, 4 Chimeras, 3 Vendettas, 1 Leman Russ, 2 Griffons, and a Shadowsword

Arguleon-veq

This is my Ork army led by Gnarkill Neckstabber.

Converted Battlewagons, dont think id get away with them these days thinks to the size difference to the official ones.

Ard Boyz!

Big old Gnarkill  himself, with a drill arm from Inquisitor.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33