News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Narrics' Fandex Ideas & Entries Thread

Started by Narric, February 18, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

If it is cast on friendlies it is a blessing surely? Maledictions are cast at enemies.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I went with Malediction becuase it actually affected enemy models, but I can see that it should be a Blessing.

Brassclaw

Quote from: Narric on March 03, 2014, 07:47:45 AM
I went with Malediction becuase it actually affected enemy models, but I can see that it should be a Blessing.

Yeah either change it to blessing or change the wording

Narric

I'm beginning to miss the 0-1 restriction that some armies included for powerful units.

Reading through the background for Grey Knight Purifiers, I really see no excuse to be able to field 60 of the buggers. The Fluff states that there are only ever more than 40 Purifiers IN THE ENTIRE GREY KNIGHT ORDER!! when an increadibly strong Daemonic incursion is about to unfold. Yet the army list allows a single player to field 60 of them, with the same options and upgrades as regular Grey Knights, for only 20pts more for a starting squad with no upgrades, and only a 4pt increae per model, despite the increased Attacks, Additional Power, and having Fearless instead of ATSKNF, to face any army that isn't even Daemons or Chaos!!

I know I'm not really old enough to say this, but good lord why did they take away a mechanic which makes the unit feel the way the fluff describes? I'd almost feel ok with a unit being OP if it was limited to a single instance in an army, as it would reflect both how powerful the unit is, and how desperate the faction is to utilize such an asset.

I little bit off topic from House Rules, but is part of my current project. Maybe I shouldn't compare how a unit is fielded in game to how it is presented in fluff.....

Am I the only one who suffers from this? Or have i contracted some deadly critical mindset?!

Brassclaw

The reason why they took 0-1 units away? Probably because they figure that they shouldn't control there customers buying habits and thus lose money over restricting the number of units one would like to buy. Screw game balance and fluff, as long as people buy models GW doesn't really care.

I'm with you on this Narric.

Narric

Realized I can reduce the number of Purifiers by pinching from other Codexi. If we consider Purifiers more like BA Sanguinary Priests and/or SW Wolf Guard, which are
characters that are attached to other units or have the IC special rule. If i go that route, I can make an OP unit, but increase the price to mean that including them is a genuine consideration, not "Oh its a strong unit I must include."

Charistoph

Why not just make them a Unique Character Unit and be done with it?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Quote from: Charistoph on March 06, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
Why not just make them a Unique Character Unit and be done with it?
I hjave considered it in the past with other units and armies, but the mechancs just don't seem to work. If you say one per detachment, someone is just going to play a 2k loist to field two of them. IT also means the unit will just be ignored, becuase people won't want such a strict limitation on them.

Going down a middle route of halving the maximum number of Purifiers, and forcing them to be part of seperate units reduces the chance that someone will just hurl them at the closest big thing.

I would probably need to get a Space Wolf or Blood Angel players opinion on the mechanics of Wolf Guard and Sanguinary guard to make the Purifiers work well.....

Reading the fluff for Grey Knigh Techmarines, and I see a glaring hole of logic. IT outright states the Techmarine is apart from the Grey Knight Order, and
Quote from: Grey Knight Codex Pg32In fact, many stand in direct contradiction top the aims and goals of the Chapter

Yet despite this, the Techmarines of the Grey Knights are also skilled Psykers, and have a unique Psychic power?

I'm sorry, but this is claptrap, unapologetic claptrap.

Narric

Going to work on Codex: Feral Orks alongside Grey Knights, as GK drives me insane with it lunacy. :P

Grey Knights are almost done. Just trying to tie up lose nonsense.

Speaking of nonsense :shifty: What are peoples opinions of a Monstrous Creature giving rules to act as a Transport Vehicle?

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on March 08, 2014, 12:13:35 PM
Speaking of nonsense :shifty: What are peoples opinions of a Monstrous Creature giving rules to act as a Transport Vehicle?

1) There are already Gargantuan Creatures with the Transport rule (Harridan? And Squiggoth).

2) Makes perfect sense for Lizardmen, Tyranids, and Feral Orks, to me.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Didn't realize there were already MC Transports. :P

I am re-working the olde Squiggoth from CA Feral Orks, so garaunteed I'm going to trip up on something FW has done :P

Narric

Wanting some critique on the Psychic powers the Feral Orks shall have in my House rule codex. They're essentially adaptions from the 7th Ed Orcs & Goblins "Spells of the Big Waagh!" list.

Feral Orks Psychic Powers
Primaris Power = The Waaagh! (1 Warp Charge) – This is a Blessing that targets the Psyker and his unit. They are treated to be under the effects of the Waaagh! special rule until the start of the following friendly Feral Ork turn. This is not limited by whether or not the Feral Ork army has called a Waaagh! or not.

1. = Gaze of Mork (1 Warp Charge) - This is a Witchfire psychic power with the following profile:
Range
Strength
AP
Type
24"
-
Assault D6

2. = 'Eadbutt (1 Warp Charge) - This is a Malediction Psychic Power. Select a single enemy model with the Character unit type within 24" and within line of sight to the Psyker. If the enemy Deny the Witch roll fails, the enemy character suffers a single Str5 AP2 hit.

3. = Mork's strategy (1 Warp Charge) - This is a Blessing Psychic Power. Select a single friendly Ork unit that is within 18" of the Psyker. The selected unit gains a single special rule until the start of the next friendly Feral Ork turn. No unit may be targeted by Mork's Strategy more than once per player turn. The special rule is randomly generated from the table below:

D6Result
Mork gives the Orks some pointers on how to fight the foe.
The target unit gains the Counter-Attack special rule
Mork wants to mess with the enemy stategists for a while
The target unit gains the Hit & Run
And Mork spoke unto the Ork "See those bushes over ther? Yeah,  they're easier to get through than that razor wire."
The target unit gains the Move through Cover special rule
Mork has suddenly taken a particular dislike to the enemy Psykers, or at least he thinks there are enemy psykers to dislike.....
The target unit gains the Adamantium Will special rule
"Before you start chopping, pick up some dirt and throw it in their face." - Sage Words of Mork.
The target unit gains the Blind special rule on close combat attacks
Mork whispers dark truths to the Orks, secrets he knows they'll forget all too soon.
The target unit gains the And They Shall Know No Fear special rule

4. = Bash 'Em Ladz (1 Warp Charge) - This is a Blessing Psychic Power. Select a single friendly Ork unit that is locked in close combat within 18" of the Psyker. The selected unit doubles their Initiative (after modifiers) until the start of the next friendly Feral Ork turn.

5. = Fists of Gork (1 Warp Charge) - This is a Malediction Psychic Power. Select a single enemy unit or model within 18" and within line of sight to the Psyker. If the enemy Deny the Witch roll fails each model in the unit is hit on a 4+, with successful hits inflicting a Str4 AP- wound.

6. = Gork's Warpath (2 Warp Charge) - This is a Malediction Psychic Power. Select a single enemy unit or model within 18" and within line of sight to the Psyker. If the enemy Deny the Witch roll fails each model in the unit is struck a Str4 AP- hit. After the unit has made its saves, the Feral Ork player rolls a Scatter dice. If it rolls a scatter, draw a line from the center of the first selected unit in the direction the arrow points. The closest unit to the line and to the first target unit suffers a Str4 AP- hit for each model in the unit. If the scatter dice rolls a direct hit, the Psychic power stops. Gork's Warpath may only be used once per Feral Ork turn.

Mork's Strategy is 100% me, so I won't be surprised if its OP :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I would tidy up the wording on Morks stratagy to "until the next friendly Feral Ork turn." Else you lose your power as soon as the enemy turn begins if they are playing Feral Orks.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Good point. I've made the distinction in The Waaagh! and Bash'em Lads powers as well.

What about the powers as a whole? anything that seems OP?

Narric

Ah Maid a Characture!!!

Boarboss Badgore                              180 Points
Unit background goes here. - currently too tired to write a backstory. Will try to include one before I finish the codex :P

WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Sv
Boarboss Badgore
3+

Composition:
  • 1 Boarboss Badgore (Unique)
Unit Type:
  • Cavalry (Character)
Special Rules:

• Independant character
  • Furious Charge
  • Mob Rule
  • Waaagh!
  • Crunchtusk's Tusks
Wargear:

• Waaagh! Cleava
  • Big Shoota
  • Warpainted Shield
  • Old Crunchtusk
Warpainted Shield - This is a "common" piece of wargear
A model with a Warpainted Shield gains 4+ Invulnerable save in close combat, and a 4+ Cover Save against ranged attacks.

Old Crunchtusk
Old Crunchtusk is a Cyboar as old as Badgore himself. Crunchtusk had once been comparable to a new-fangled "Super Cyboar" but now is more of a reliable steed.
Old Crunchtusk makes Badgore unit type Cavalry (Character), and confers a +1 boost to his toughness (already included in his profile), and a 3+ Armour save. Unlike most Cyboars, Old Crunchtusk also confers the Move through cover special rule.

Crunchtusk's Tusks
Crunchtusk has gained a bit of an inferiority complex against any machine or creature larger than him. Badgore hasn't exactly made things better by strapping jagged chunks of metal and blades to Cruchtusk's tusks and armour.
When in combat against Monstrous Creatures or Vehicles, Badgore has the Fleshbane and Armourbane special rules respectively.