News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Fhanados' Word Bearers Log

Started by Fhanados, October 23, 2012, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

It has been a long time since I've updated my plog, mostly due to a terrible camera. With an upcoming tournament my painting frenzy is underway as I test a new way of cheating... I mean airbrushing... The basic technique is inspired by this amazing fellow here: http://www.denofimagination.com.pl/2012/11/how-to-paint-khorne-space-marines.html

My brown seems a bit green, and I used waaaay too much on the terminators (painting in a dark garage is a good way to waste paint) and prompty ran out of paint before I could finish undercoating the lot. Here's a peek at what I'm working on!

Rank and file Terminators

Cultists

Rhinos and Vindicator

DV Chosen, AKA Aspiring Champions

I've also got a bunch of other stuff in various states of disrepair/half painted and will upload them as I go. I seem to have an absurd amount of powerfist equipped models, none of which I will be using in 6th. So yeah... that's depressing...

I intend on getting another DV set of Chosen and butchering them with Warp Talon lightning claws to have a bunch of single-claw armed Champs, which seems to be the way to go from my reckoning.

I've also got a bunch of loicloths and robed legs coming in from Anvil Industries, and 6 obliterator equivalents from Hi-Tech Minis sitting on the shelf. Really really sexy minis, but with MASSIVE hunks of resin that I haven't got around to sawing off. It also blows chunks that I can't use them at any of the tourneys I sign up for since they're all GW events, so in the end I'll probably get a set of 3 GW oblits to keep them happy and mix things up.

More stuff as it comes!

Fhanados

It's been a while but I'm slowly making progress. I've coated my "browned" models with the red. The outcome was not as I had hoped, the brown was far too light, but it did make the red a bit of a better shade than if I put red straight on to plastic, so it wasn't a complete failure. I also finished up a few "recovery project" marines, stuff that was broken/missing pieces/poorly painted.

The Army - Now with Red!

Finally my army is taking form! Got 2 Rhinos, a Vindicator, Forgefiend, Daemon Prince, 8 Terminators (champs still WIP conversions), all the Chaos Marines from Dark Vengeance, 5 Possessed, a Skull Champion for my Khorne Berserkers and an old metal Plasmagunner.

The Troops

We have a standard current ed. plastic Marine with Pistol and Close Combat Weapon, old school Havoc with Lascannon and a Flamer.

The Champ

I know he doesn't have a power pack, but I don't care. The cape just looks cool, and this has always been a favourite model of mine. When I gave him a coat of quickshade however it was a bit more globby than I had expected (had to duck out and didn't check it wasn't pooling at his extremities) and this resulted in part of his base becoming embedded in the end of his cape. It now looks a bit more ratty, with obvious scrape marks and indentations from bits of sand and grit, but overall I'm still happy with it.

Osiris

what did you use for your red if you dont mind me asking?

looking great so far!!
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Will's on Fire

Those old school marine models are so cool!

Keep it coming. :D

- Will

Fhanados

Thanks for the comments guys! Stuff like this keeps me motivated to keep on going.

The red is vallejo air colours. Undercoat of Earth Brown followed by Fire Red (Rojo Feugo I think). The flash makes it much brighter in the pic than it actually is. Some of my earlier posts have pics with a better indication of what colour it actually is.

I'm currently Dettol-ing a bunch of second hand broken and poorly painted Chaos Marines as part of my recovery project. Although it gets messy, I find Dettol has worked better for me than any other recommendations I've seen online for stripping plastic and it works fine on metal too. My bookshelf looks like a lab of some sort with jars of strange liquid filled with specimens  ;D.

Probably won't get much done in the immediate future with a new job, wedding and moving home yet again, but I'll post when I do.

Fhanados

Small update: I've started working on my "Veterans", Chaos Marines with the whole shebang. Veterans of the Long War, Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapons, tooled champ and special weapons.

They're a combination of Anvil Industries' robed legs, standard CSM torsos, Iron Warriors heads, the sheathed swords from the Khorne Berserker kit and Black Templar boltguns.

The robed legs from Anvil Industry are a tad small and don't fit flush with the CSM torsos, but I filled it with liquid Greenstuff, let it dry, pulled them apart and superglued them. Now it's fine. They actually look really good. And the pistol holsters from the CSM kit fit on nice and flush, even though some have kind of an awkward positioning. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

The Chaos Space Marines sprues must be pretty ancient, because everything had a lot of flash, nothing fit together well and it looks like the rear torso bits aren't even designed to match with the fronts. I had the same problem with my last batch of CSM but figured it was a bad casting, which I've become accustomed to dealing with when I used to play Dark Eldar before their makeover. Pretty disappointing for such a core army to have such old, ill fitting models. I never had this problem with basic Space Marines kits.

The Templar upgrade sprue had a similar problem. I also had issues fitting the arms to the Chaos  torsos because of all the extra bling they have on the front. It seems that Templar like to hug their guns, so a little cutting filing and repositioning was required. For the most part it worked out ok, but one or two have a pretty flimsy join.

The Iron Warriors upgrade kit was a pleasant surprise. I thought that an old old old metal upgrade kit would have horrible mould lines, cast slips and poor fitting parts. I was wrong. While the heads are obviously designed to fit with the Iron Warriors torsos (which in retrospect I should have used), liquid greenstuff came to the rescue again! Same strategy; fill, join, break, glue. Perfect. The heads are really really nice, very crusade-era looking which is what I wanted for these guys

I need to order some more backpacks and Word Bearers shoulder pads, and I only have enough Berserker swords for half the squad but they're coming along nicely.

I'm yet to decide on the special weapons, and I would really like an Icon for thematic reasons but taking VotLW and an undivided icon seems foolish. Maybe I'll give them a mark to buff them up a bit more but I don't want to use Nurgle (too mainstream  :shifty:) and all the others are a little underwhelming.

Anyway pics soon, phone ran out of batteries  :P

Fhanados

Ok a quick update:

I got married last month (yay!) which is why I never posted WIP pics of my "Marine Killers" unit. I had a few days free after my honeymoon and done a bit of assembling so I've added the following to my to-paint list:

Cypher - Will count as a Chosen Champion with plasma pistol, bolt pistol and close combat weapon or power sword.
Abbaddon counts-as - Medusa campaign termie lord with the sword and claw. Still trying to work out how a combi-bolter is going to fit in there...)
7x Khorne Berserkers - Part of my salvage mission to repair and repaint a bunch of ruined models I aquired. Two with plasma pistols, one with icon. I'll probably never use them but I like having options available.
Remodelled Khorne Berserker Champion with a plasma pistol.
2x Sorcerers - both with power swords, one with burning brand (flaming possessed marine arm)
Khorne Chaos Lord - Currently has a chainaxe until I find a more badass looking axe to give him a power axe/daemon weapon.
3x 90s era metal oblits - Some were missing arms so I used the Kai gun and Combi-Melta from the Medusa lord as replacements.

I've also done a lot of work on my  Marine Killers, which are looking fantastic! The only issue is I've run out of shoulder pads and backpacks and the bits store I usually buy from (battlewagon bits) seems to have stopped trading in bits. I can only assume this is due to the new trade restrictions, which as an Australian I am extremely unhappy about (seriously... why do I pay almost double the UK?) so if anyone knows anyone who still sells bits to Australia, please let me know. I'll probably just buy from GW for now, but I'd rather not!

Anyway here's a quick and crappy pic from my phone that shows some of what I'm working on.
Salvage Project

Thantos

Oo nice old oblits :D thanks for my daily dose of retro!

Good luck attacking them with the hairy stick and congratulations on tying the knot ;)

Fhanados

If you like those Oblits, prepare to like them some more! I present to you: 80s Scifi Abominations, now with paint!

Obliterators

The middle one actually has a blue plasma cannon type weapon with a dragon head for a muzzle, and they're all based since that pic was taken.

I've also basecoated all of the other things from my previous picture red, and then done the second red layer on all my existing things. I have a hell of a lot of red models now, all ready for their details.

Hooray for progress!

Fhanados

Minor update: Khorne Berserkers now WIP. Got about 6 on the bench including champ, icon, and plasmas. Had some trouble with the red from the airbrush and don't have a matching colour so a few of them might have some out-of-place looking bronze bits. Not as bad as I feared though. No pics yet, will post when I get some.

EDIT:

Pics added.
Khorne Berzerkers WIP

Looking at them in better light I realise they're much messier jobs than I thought. I really need to find my red paint to do some touch ups. I hope to have the full unit done on Saturday, and barring any unforeseen circumstances this should be a reality.

Also received my bits order from a while back (forgot I actually bought it!) so my Marine-Killers are well underway.

Fhanados

Didn't quite finish the squad but I got heaps done including a few non-zerks. Got a few touch ups, 2 more Berzerkers and then they just need dip and basing. Think I'll do my Terminators next weekend, they'll be a lot easier than these bastards were. I never want to paint another chain weapon again... Not overly happy with them yet, but the plasma pistols came out real nice. Can't wait to paint up some proper plasma guns!

Pics are a bit shoddy but it shows basically where I'm up to. I'll get better pics once they're all finished.
WIP Zerks and friends!

Fhanados

Update at last!

I finally finished my Berzerkers. A few lost arms after being quickshaded so they'll need some fixing. I also need to finish the bases but they're pretty much done. Managed to get a few basic marines done too, including a missile lauuncher, plasma gun, icon bearer and flamer.

Here are some terrible pictures taken with my phone. They're really not this shiny in real life...

Zerks and friends complete!

Next up: Lightning Claw Terminators!

Fhanados

More updates! This time - terminators! Bases are still WIP. Sorry for the shoddy pics.

Lightning Claw Terminators

Narric

Looking pretty damn good dude ^_^

Just a tip, but I'd reckonmend waiting until the wash dries before taking pictures, the models will be less likely to glare back at the camera then ;)

Fhanados

Yeah but I'm impatient. That stuff takes a day or two to fully dry, and its still fairly glossy. Noticed I missed a few details on one but they don't look too bad in red so not too much of a problem. I done some experimenting with blood effects on one of my Khorne Berzerkers. Wasn't quite what I was after but looks good nonetheless. I'll post when he dries.

Also the Berzerkers and Obliterators have had some minor work done on their bases. Not big enough to repost, but they look a bit better now I think.

Next up: More Terminators!