News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

How do you beat an Imperial Knight without another Imperial Knight?

Started by Scalphunta, February 23, 2014, 11:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamut2202

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on February 28, 2014, 09:09:05 AM
They're only 12 on the side, but 13 up front, so you'd need Side/Rear Armour to even Glance it. 12 shots T-L nets you 2 Glances, one if it has the Ion Shield up. Not the best thing to rely on.
Rely on? No, certainly not, a nid player would be charging that thing, croning that thing, zoanthroping that thing to kingdom come. Will those options be something it can ignore? Not in your life.

I stand by what I said about not being too scared of them. I'll see how Chaos is going to treat them, if I can down a pair of russes in a turn I can down this thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Scatter actually makes the Blast more effective, considering its base size, it's more likely to hit something with that D blast.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Mabbz

I really hope someone at my club takes one of those. My IG TAC list has enough ordnance to take that down in a single turn with only a small amount of luck.

I have one question: the ion shield only affects one out of the four facings. The way I read the rule, it's therefore unusable against barrage hits, since they hit the top armour, so my manticore could probably take it out in 2-3 turns on it's own. Anyone disagree?

CoffeeGrunt

There is no "Top" facing, what AV do you normally use if it hits the top?
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Waaaghpower

You use the AV of the side armor... But the book doesn't clarify which side you hit. It's ambigous.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

According to Pg 73 of the BRB:
Quote from: The RulebookBlast Weapons vs Vehicles
When firing a Blast or Large Blast weapon at a vehicle, place the marker with the hole over any part of the vehicle's hull and then roll for scatter as normal. IN the case of multiple blasts, the vehicle will be hit once each time any part of a blast marker ends up over the vehicle or its base. The armour penetration roll is resolved against the Armour Value facing the firer, regardless of the position of the marker, using the full Strength of the Weapon.

So you're only going to hit the side armour if you're on its side :-\

"Barrage" gives no rule about hitting a vehicle on the "Top" only that it means the weapon can fire without Line of Sight.

Arguleon-veq

I don't think they seem that hard to shoot down at all really. 6HP AV13 4+ Invun?

That's not much different to playing against a pair of Necron Command Barges with tooled up Lords boosting at you turn 1. Its very rare that I don't kill them in that turn. Plus you really should get much longer to shoot at these guys and its not like they are very scary when returning fire at range.

I actually don't think they are very competitive, I do though think they are the coolest model they have ever done. 
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on February 28, 2014, 10:20:59 PM
According to Pg 73 of the BRB:
Quote from: The RulebookBlast Weapons vs Vehicles
When firing a Blast or Large Blast weapon at a vehicle, place the marker with the hole over any part of the vehicle's hull and then roll for scatter as normal. IN the case of multiple blasts, the vehicle will be hit once each time any part of a blast marker ends up over the vehicle or its base. The armour penetration roll is resolved against the Armour Value facing the firer, regardless of the position of the marker, using the full Strength of the Weapon.

So you're only going to hit the side armour if you're on its side :-\

"Barrage" gives no rule about hitting a vehicle on the "Top" only that it means the weapon can fire without Line of Sight.
Quote from: The Rulebook, page 34 paragraph 4Barrage
To determine whether a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is allowed a cover save, and when determining wound allocation, always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker, instead of from the firing model. Hits against vehicles are always resolved against the side armour
I was a bit mixed up with the 5th edition rulebook that more specifically mention the top armour. Based on this, which side is hit should probably be determined by the position of the blast marker's hole (even if the hole is on the vehicle, the facing can still be determined) for the purposes of the shield, while still using the side armour value for damage. I think ???.

Narric

Aah, missed that. I was looking for a full paragraph on how Barrage weapons damage vehicles.

It probably means that if it lands on top of the tank you use the closest facing to the hole (with most tanks being longer than wide, you're more likely to hit the side), while if just the edge of the marker is over the vehicle you use the front facing.

BigToof

Just got a game in!
Not going to spill the beans, as I have a rep going in the batrep board:

Knights: OP or WTF? http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=1742.0

If you wanna see it just click!
And, if you want BigToof points, feel free to vote and post!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

salamut2202

Okay, don't run just one. They will die by turn 3. Even to Tyranids. Even to Orks. Everything killed the knights that were there. Target saturation is not the best by themselves.