News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Unit 52 [OOC Thread]

Started by Narric, February 13, 2014, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Looking for 4 to 6 players for a Sci-fi RP.

Setting:
Welcome to the metropolitan world Granixa.
It acts as a port for the trade routes that pass through the system. Its high traffic makes policing the populace difficult, and undeclared Weapons and equipment results in many Law enforcement deaths, both on and off duty.
A new arm of the Police was created, made up of a hundred individual units that act independently, and policing their own sectors. You are Unit 52, of Sector 52.

A group of heretics will be meeting at sunset.

Still tweaking the rules, but I think I have enough for the first run through. I'm going for a Mission by Mission style. I currently have two and a half missions written already, but my impatience is getting on my nerves :P

If people are interested, I'll post up the rules and character creation stuff.

Character Creation

Each character starts with the following stats:
Melee Skill: 5
Range Skill: 5
Strength: 5
Resilience: 5
Mental: 5

You may dudeuct one point from each stats and relocate it to another stat. No stat may go below 4. In addition, you have 5pts to allocate to your stats.

All members are equipped with:
- a Combat Shotgun
- & a Combat Blade

Armour is taken into consideration in the Resilience stat.

Here is how Combat will work. I think I got the confusionand bugs out, but do point out if I'm wrong. It'll be three rounds rapid, so hopefully we'll avoid the failure of my previous RP :P

Spoiler
Melee & Ranged attacks rolled on a D12, with the score required for a hit being 12 minus the character Skill. Ranged attack may have additional hit modifiers

Damage for both combat and shooting is the Strength of the hit (either character or weapon) +D6 minus the targets' Resilience. If the total is less than 1, no serious damage is inflicted, and the target shrugs off the blow. A natural 6 means it is a fatal hit, and the target is killed or at least severely injured, and cannot fight anymore.

Enemy forces will regularly be able to take cover from attacks at range and it is advised the Player Characters do the same. They must pass a Cover test using their Mental characteristic on a D6.

The "Mental" characterstic is also used to activate and de-activate equipment, and for any test of the mind, such as code breaking, or Interrogation. You may also take a Mental test to aim at a specific part of a Target. A failed Mental test means the shot will miss entirely, while a pass means your shot will only hit the limb chosen. Any Mental test that is not for Cover, is rolled on a D10, and must be below the Characters' Mental stat.

Activation Tests are used to see if the character activates their weapon to use it. If the test is failed, and they still want to use it, they must test again. Weapons are easily Deactivated through quick-kill switches, so do not require a test to deactivate.
That said, you should still take the time to deactivate your gear. Weapons that are not activated cannot be fired. A weapon that is active but not used builds up excess energy that can harm the equipped character. On a D12 the GM tries to roll under the number of rounds (Player Posts and Combat Rounds)  the weapon has remained active and unused. If it releases the energy, the strength of the hit is equal to the number of turns it was active for.

When in combat, you may swap weapons. This however takes up a full round of combat, and does not deactivate active weaponry.

And here are the weapons I currently have in mind that will feature in this RP :P except one. That one is just too OP.

Weapons
Ranged Weapons

Picture RefWeaponHit Modifier
(per shot)
StrengthShots per RoundAbility
Combat Shotgun-242Can target multiple beings, provided they standing close together.
Assault Rifle-437
Plasma Rifle-182If the score when rolling to hit is less than two after modifiers, the attack is resolved against the firer at half strength.
- Requires activation/deactivation
Focused Heat Rifle-1101Can be used to breach armoured/plate doors.
Grenade Launcher-363Each successful hit multiplies the strength when damage is applied.
Flame Thrower+241Damages all occupants of the room it is fired into, and has two shots per occupant. This can include the firer and Unit 52.
Pulse Rifle-135

Melee Weapons

WeaponHit Modifier
(per attack)
StrengthAttacks per RoundAbility
Combat BladeUserD4
Energy Blade-2User + 1D4 + 1When activated, doubles damage after calculation.
Combat Herring+10User1
Ranged Weapon-3User2

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

There will be an option for a Squad Leader and a Special Weapons guy, but I'm going to wait until we have at least four people in ;)

I'll go update the OP with the rules and Character Creation Stuff.

Character Listing:
WaaaghPower - Knight
Spoiler
Andrew Knightley
Shooting 4
Melee 5
Strength 5
Resilience 12
Mental 4

Andy is... A big guy. A really, really big guy. At just above seven feet, and almost 350 pounds, very few people can say they tower over him. He makes his money as a boxer in various local circuits, and usually wins by merely outlasting his opponents. For him, fighting as an enforcer was merely a way to make more money doing the same thing.
(For reference, he looks something like Dalip Singh.)

TMTC-Jayne - King
Spoiler
Gary King

Melee Skill: 4
Range Skill: 10
Strength: 4
Mental: 7

Gary is an aging chap who is rapidly approaching 40. This distresses him somewhat. He dreams of great accomplishment and acts somewhat impulsively. Once he sets his mind on a goal, he will do anything to complete it, even at great personal risk and probably against better judgement, which he lacks. . .

Pilum - Jeff
Spoiler
Jeff Bibby

Melee: 6
Shooting: 7

Railgun Convention - Jax
Spoiler
Jack X. Mason

Melee: 4
Shooting: 7
Resilience: 7

pretty solid sort of guy. He's played the part of cynical sergeant for the better part of a decade. He knows his way around most mission sites by experience - they all look the same after this long - and he's had plenty of time to get acquainted with his equipment. He's acted as mentor to three recruits so far, and none of them have died yet, which he considers a great success.

Mabbz - Ren
Spoiler
Name: Saracen Rue

Melee: 6
Shooting: 5
Strength: 6
Mental: 8

Saracen Rue is a fairly likable guy, and competent in combat and always calm and rational. His main skill appears to be an uncanny ability to know something relevant to whatever situation he finds himself in. Whether it's engine repair, interrogation, first aid or the fact that someone's sneaking up behind him with a handgun, he usually has some idea about it.

Tybalt Defet - Wolf
Spoiler
Black Wolf

Melee: 4
Ranged: 7
Strenght: 6
Mental: 8

Black Wolf was a no nonsense Sergeant, a veteran of more heists, murders, gang fights and car chases then he cares to remember. When the hundred units were announced, he knew he shouldn't volunteer, being one of the few members on the force getting close to retirement age but he wanted to be part of the action.

Dragon-DAC - Ace
Spoiler
Richard Schweickert

Melee: 8
Range: 4
Resilience: 6

Richard got his start as an undercover narcotics agent, often being adept with sneaking and bluffing. Thankfully these are habits that tend to endear him to mob bosses and the like, as well as his ability to 'work with his hands' so to speak, much to their eventual detriment.

The Man They Call Jayne

Narric

Character Creation is in the OP ;)

Waaaghpower

I'm definitely be interested.
Does a natural 6 roll still kill, even if your resilience and armor is equal or greater than the weapon's maximum damage? (Also, how do you count wounds?)

Also, how come a shotgun decreases your accuracy?

I think I'll play as a heavy tank.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

Natural Six is an instantly kill to enemy NPCs. Vs PCs, It just does max damage ;)

As for player HP. I'm thinking Resilience plus the second Max stat, and the total Doubled. I reckon thats somewhere between 20 to 30 HP per player?

Lower Accuracy ont he weapons is mostly to take into account how a real weapon would act (shots going wide, Shotgun spraying rather than aving bullets) or in the case of the Spec Weapons, just generally being slightly unpredictable when used. Flamers get a bonus due to them just filling the room with holy hellfire death :P

Make sense?

Waaaghpower

Well, okay, but how come the scattershot weapon (With a hit area of about a foot in radius) is less accurate than most other weapons, regardless of range?
I'm also tempted to go with this as my character's build...
Melee 4
Range 4
Strength 4
Endurance 14
Mental 4

Then I'll invest in some good armor...

Edit: Food for thought... Any completely minmaxed stat (Such as mine) will have 36 wounds, even if you invest entirely in Mental...

Narric

Its Resilience, not Endurance, and it accounts for armour also. :P

I think you're going to need a Combat Herring if you're serious about using that for a character :P

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Narric on February 13, 2014, 09:21:11 PM
Its Resilience, not Endurance, and it accounts for armour also. :P

I think you're going to need a Combat Herring if you're serious about using that for a character :P
So a high Resilience *includes* my gear in the base stat? What happens if I lose my armor, or get better gear?
(What's a Combat Herring?)

Narric

You're wearing a uniform, that is only slightly individualized compared to your squad-mates, and better gear will probably just be a Battleshield:
Spoiler

If you're serious about being a meatshield, go right ahead Mr Thrillseeker :P

The Man They Call Jayne

And can I drop my combat shotgun for the assault rifle, and take the melta gun as a special weapon?

Waaaghpower

Is it possible to 'Level up' later on and increase my other skills? Or am I stuck with whatever I choose at the beginning?
(And I'm still wondering what a Combat Herring is... Just a body shield/tank for everyone else?)

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 13, 2014, 09:30:01 PM

And can I drop my combat shotgun for the assault rifle, and take the melta gun as a special weapon?
No swapping gear yet dude ^_^;; and the Assault Rifle wasn't meant to be an option. You're also part of a Government organisation, so its Uniforms and Set Gear for now.

I'm liking the fact you're both going for Shooters :P stop it, bad GM

Quote from: Waaaghpower on February 13, 2014, 09:38:38 PM
Is it possible to 'Level up' later on and increase my other skills? Or am I stuck with whatever I choose at the beginning?
(And I'm still wondering what a Combat Herring is... Just a body shield/tank for everyone else?)
There will be a Lvl Up chance. I'm still figuring out How many extra points to give. Maybe I'll just roll it :P

Waaaghpower

Why did you say we're both going for shooters? I'm going mainly melee, 'cause with a combat shotgun I'll need a 2 to hit... With Melee, I need a 4. A little better. (I guess that with shooting I'll get twice as many chances to hit, but whatevs.)