News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Re: Eastward, Unto Dawn [OOC/Sign-up Thread]

Started by Ravager Zero, May 14, 2012, 05:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsaneTD

Thanks Rav. I was hoping for better stats but luck of the die. :P

Oh, starting Gold?

The Man They Call Jayne

Hmm, Farooq starting Gold should be relativly high, he has been a very sucessful freelance hashishin for some time before meeting the party, and hasnt needed to buy much beyond basic supplies. He is not a man who it prone to splurging on luxury items.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Will's on Fire

Is there still spaces?

If there is, consider me in.

Also, could you do some rolling for skills Rav? :D

I like the idea of being a member of a nomadic tribe. However if you want someone from a big city and no-one else will take it then I can swap as suitable Rav. But for now:

Character Sheet
Name: Zaag Blitz

Physical:
Mental:
Mystical:

HP:

Physical Description: Zaag Blitz is approximately 5' 10", not the tallest of his tribe however he makes up for this with skill. He has a few tribal tattoo's most notably the crescent moon under his right eye and the sunburst around his right. He is not a natural leader of men, as he has always preferred a more solitary existence, however his position has led him to command men on several occasions however has given him a bit of knowledge in this area.

History/Bio: Zaag Blitz lived along the coast with a tribe. His father was high up in the tribe, but was not the leader. More of a 'right hand man'. Due to this Zaag had grown up with relative luxury, however his father had not been one to let his son grow lazy. His father had trained Zaag in survival in various areas around the tribes lands, the coast, and also inland. He had learnt these skills the hard way, his father would send him to pass messages to outposts on the boundaries on his tribes lands. Over the course of many of such trips the rations he was given to return on would reduce and reduce, to the point he only had a quarter of the rations he needed to return. Thanks to these, Zaag has become efficient at hunting animals, the skinning and cooking of the things he hunts and then the use of the skin of larger animals to create covers to sleep under.

When he came of age, Zaag was given a lever action crossbow, a quiver of bolts, a hatchet, a shield and some chainmail armour. He was sent to the furthest outpost, around 7 days away and given a single days rations. Those days had been some of the hardest days of his life. He had dragged himself through them, relying on every skill he had been taught through the years, along with the words of wisdom his father had told him down the years. He had hunted monsters far larger than before, as the scarcity of supplies had forced his hand.

He had returned victorious. That day was the first day he had openly seen his father cry. His father had always met his success with a matter of fact smile, but that day had been different. He had been overjoyed to see his sons success. To this end he had been gifted the a new set of much finer creation of the weapons he had taken with him.

In the years between then and now Zaag has lead many expeditions into the deserts around his home, killing many of the dangers that had been haunting his tribes lands. He is accounted as one of their best, if not their best. He takes this position with the quiet confidence of one who knows he can back up such claims.

However living on the coast had its downsides. Raiders often landed on the beaches, and recently these had become much, much worse. The tribe had been forced to move further inland towards the city of Asrya. To this end Zaag was sent from the tirbe by his father as a fact finder, to discover what others knew about this.

Starting Equipment: A well made crossbow, a small quiver of bolts with poisoned tips (Used for killing), and another without the poison (normally used for hunting), a hatchet, a round shield, chain mail, leather vembs and grieves and a hooded travelling cloak. He also carries a ring of his tribe (given to prove his identity), a few days rations and a small amount of canvas suitable for a tent.

If I'm missing anything PM me. :)

InsaneTD

Shields aren't normally used with ranged weapons as even the smallest, lightest shields start to feel heavy not long into a fight when you're aiming, as you're holding it in the same position for extented periods. Though you could have it on your back when you're using the crossbow. Depends on what you'll do more often in a fight.

Also, glad there is another survivalist type character. It's always a good skill set to double up on.

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on April 29, 2012, 02:06:55 PM
Shields aren't normally used with ranged weapons as even the smallest, lightest shields start to feel heavy not long into a fight when you're aiming, as you're holding it in the same position for extented periods. Though you could have it on your back when you're using the crossbow. Depends on what you'll do more often in a fight.

Also, glad there is another survivalist type character. It's always a good skill set to double up on.

The idea is he wields it whilst using the hatchet. The crossbow is hunting and distance whilst the hatchet gives a nice melee ability and can also double up for skinning and butchery.

I was considering his taking a slightly larger kite shield that could be dug forced into the ground allowing it to double up as a windbreak in the desert and ducking behind whilst reloading a crossbow. The more I think about it, the more I think it would probably be useful... :P However it would be heavy.

InsaneTD

Kite shields aren't normally large enough for that, be more of a tower shield job but I don't think a nomadic group would use such a shield. Be too big and heavy to move around.

The Man They Call Jayne

Farooq can survive, although it is certainly not his default training, he is a capable hunter, and has the skill to use any weapon needed bows included, although he prefers up close. He wont touch a firearm though.

Im assuming things like bedrolls and a sheet of some kind is part of the Standard Equipment for everyone?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Vyper

Well here goes:
Edit: damn it will, you ninja'd me with your nomadic-ness...
Edit2: rolled my stats.

Name: Prae'tor
Physical Description: 6'2''
Pale skin (trait inherited from ancestors)
Blue/grey eyes
Skinny, but muscular

Physical: 10
Mental: 7
Mystical: 8

HP: 15

Bio: Born into a nomadic tribe, Prae'tor was trained in the ways of the hunter, showing remarkable skill with his both his bow and blade and also in the arts of fieldcraft and unarmed combat. Shortly after reaching the age of 22, Prae'tor was framed for crimes that did not commit by a fellow tribesman looking to progress his own position. Prae'tor was exiled from his tribe and has spent the past two years wandering and providing his services to others. His resourcefulness has allowed him a degree of self sufficiency, able to craft his own arrows and hunt his own food.
Equipment:
Composite longbow: This weapon is of the type utilised by his old tribe. The wooden construction is reinforced with a naturally occurring polymer, strengthening the bow's limb to allow for a stronger draw. The ends of the limb are sharpened so as to allow their use in close combat, strong enough to pierce light armour, although its use against plate is limited.

Quiver: Prae'tor carries his quiver on his back going from left hip to right shoulder, allowing him to easily draw another arrow after loosing one. The arrows that he uses have bone tips and hafts, and are normally hand crafted. One fired from his fully drawn bow can easily puncture most armour.

Short Sword: A simple steel blade that is caried in a leg scabbard.

Apparel: Prae'tor wears a light chainmail undergarment, with leather armour (chest, vambraces + waist) and a hooded cloak.

Trueborn Hunter: Prae'tor's skills come naturally to him as walking or breathing do to anyone. His skill with a bow is more or less unmatched. He is also able to track animals and people with remarkable accuracy, using their footprints or debris for example.

Ranger of the Wastes: During his years of travelling, Prae'tor has furthered his knowledge of medicine and fieldcraft. He has picked up many different techniques and remedies, at times asking for training in the art of healing over material payment. As such, he is capable of treating many injuries from simple cuts, to poisoning and the odd broken bone.

Apologies for any errors, using my hon e...

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on April 29, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
Kite shields aren't normally large enough for that, be more of a tower shield job but I don't think a nomadic group would use such a shield. Be too big and heavy to move around.

That's the one, I couldn't think of what they called it.

Yeah, I fully agree which is why I went with a smaller shield in the end more suited to axe work and ease of travelling.

El ShasOcho

Name: Salman
Physical: 5'5", 130 pounds. Small and slender, with a thick dark beard and dark skin. Very quick on his feet.
Grey Mage, Wardancing and Pyromancy

Stats:
Physical: 15-1d8 ? [15,-7] = (8) +1 = 9
Mental: 15-1d8 ? [15,-6] = (9) + 3 = 12
Mystical:  15-1d8 ? [15,-6] = (9) -2 = 7

HP: 16

Background: Salman is a young Rikashi warrior who earns his keep as a guide and guard for caravan traders. At a young age, his magick was recognized by the tribal elders, who were unsure of what to due with the boy. At 13, he was a skilled swordsman, much beyond the abillity of anyone who was twice his age. This was due to his skill as a Wardancing Mage. By 16, he was experimenting with mixing his Wardancing with pyromancy, with unusual, but often explosively powerful, results. The elders could not ignore him anymore, and they shunned him, making him an outsider of the tribe.
He chose to leave rather than face this shame, and at 17 arrived in Asrya, where he now calls home. He spends very little time there however, as he spends most of his time traveling back and forth between the cities with caravans. He is regarded as one of the best guides mostly due to his abilities at protecting caravans from the monsters of the desert, often using his pyromancy to repel them easily.

Equipment: Sun Scimitar: one of his first purchases when reaching Asrya and working some caravans,  blade is uniquely made to resist extreme heat. While most warriors wound have no reason for this, Salman likes to turn his sword into a flaming arc of death, and his old swords had a tendency to melt if he used too much heat. With its ornate hilt and ruby pomel stone, the blade is both an exquisite and deadly.
Naginata staff: a solid wooden staff of about 4 feet, with a curved blade at the end. It also has a ruby in the haft, allowing Salman to channel essence more efficiently.
Rikashi composite bow: a traditional war short bow. Also arrows, which Salman often turns into flaming missiles.
Light scale armor: provides a mild level of protection, while allowing maximum mobility.
Other general clothing items: Light boots, leather gloves, red and black arabian style headdress, faded red robes.

Drives:
The art of the blade - Salman is always trying to figure out new and better ways for wielding his blades. This often times means a routine fight might take a bit more effort, but the results can often be spectacular. He has already mastered the flaming blade and whirlwind of steel, and is constantly looking for new, more beautiful and deadly methods of combining swordsmanship, wardancing, and pyromancy.

Save your own skin - While perfectly social and friendly, Salman always remembers what is most important - his own survival. In most situations, unless he has developed a connection with a person, he is not going to sacrifice himself for another. He also has little regard for respecting others, especially elders, as the last elders he trusted shunned him.

So a small but powerful war dancer who likes to supplement his fighting with some pyromancy. I would think he'd have a decent amount of money with his caravan work, although not a ton if we are starting away from Asyra as he would keep most of his money at home.

Got super ninjad dang haha

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Mabbz

I thought Prae'tor was a kroot :P

Name: Dreylan Scarab

15-1d8=7, 15-1d8=7, 15-1d8=12
Physical: 11
Mental: 7
Mystical: 10

Bio: Dreylan is something of a loner in his tribe. He spends a lot of his spare time experimenting with magick, often destroying anything nearby. The only reason his tribe puts up with him at all is because he has frequently proven himself in battle, his spectacular (if somewhat inefficient) displays of destructive magick causing their enemies to flee in panic. He does have some experience in healing as well, mostly for when his experiments go awry. On one notable occasion he somehow managed to combine a healing spell with his chaos magic, burning off the flesh of his hands only to have it grow back in seconds.
The newcomers on the coastline caused the tribes elders little worry, but they saw it as an excellent opportunity to be rid of Dreylan for a while. They sent him to investigate what was happening, informing him that any threats to the tribe were to be "removed, by any means necessary". No doubt they will be expecting to receive news of the visitors' demise before too long.

Appearance: Bald, about 5'8", quite thin. Unusually pale skin for this part of the world. He lost his little finger on his left hand in an accident.

Magick: Grey mage, Moonsinger and Chaosigan

Equipment: a long, worn grey robe and sandals.

Mageline tattoos (If I may  :)).

Drives:
Let's see if this works: Dreylan enjoys trying new things with his magic, regardless of how sensible the idea is. While this often results in catastrophic failure, he has enjoyed a few unforseen successes, and these triumphs keep him trying, no matter what.

Take cover: Dreylan lost a finger due to an early experiment, and as such he has some respect for safety. Over the years he has honed his survival instincts, and even though his new spells often fail he is rarely hurt, as he knows the signs of a miscast and is very good at getting out of the way in time, or at least healing himself instinctively when he gets hurt.

EDIT: I've rolled my stats

EDIT2: Drives added

EDIT3: Necromancy changed to Moonsinging, slight bio and drive alterations.

Vyper

El ShasOcho

Rav, exactly how does war dancing work? I am going to be actually dancing around, or is that just what it's called?

I think it would be pretty cool to be swirling around, creating a whirlwind of fire and blade.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Roll

Murtan Caffran
Physical: 8
Mental: 8
Mystical: 10

That's before any modifiers kick in for my class.

Not a native of the East, Murtan Caffran was thief, a very good thief, in Darrow. After plundering several noble estates he moved on to Cyven, where he had heard there were greater tests for a man of his skills. Ensuring that he had stashed his loot securely he entered  the city and proceeded to add to his ill-gotten gains. On his 4th job in the city however he bumped into people of the wrong sort. The burglary game used to be a gentleman's business, with weapons only being carried for dealing with unavoidable guards. Cyven in particular however seemed to be going down a different path. Murtan took out 2 of the men with his bow, and another 2 with his blades, but the gang were too numerous and he was forced to flee. Deciding that he would be better off lying low for a while in case the gang came looking for revenge he bartered passage to the East using a relatively small amount of his stash, which he naturally took with him.

Skills: As a thief Murtan has developed many obvious talents such as stealth, lockpicking, trap detection and accuracy with a bow, not to mention the ability to brawl with the best of them when need demands it, whether it be a tavern brawl or trying to escape the city guard. However he has also developed other keen skills due to spending many a cold night in the wilds when his coin ran low and he was looking for the next job. As a result he is a skilled tracker and hunter and has a very keen sense of navigation, particularly in the west.

Drives:
Even money isn't worth killing for: Though this is seen as an increasingly rare trait for a thief this is the way Murtan was trained, and he has stuck with this method as it has served him well. As a result he will only kill when it is necessary, either for self defence purposes or when the alternative is not being able to afford a meal. He will also only steal from those who can afford to spare it. After all, starvation results in death as surely as a blade does. Note that he has no objection to incapacitating guards however.

Catch me if you can: Over the years Murtan's extensive experience in brawls and fights with guards has granted him the ability to anticipate his foes. As a result anyone attempting to flank/surround him usually finds themselves trying to dodge the blows of their friends as Murtan dodges/parries the more obvious attacks to delay his more subtle foes and open the guard of the foes around him.

Equipment: Composite Longbow (20 arrows), Twin Blades (mastercrafted daggers), Longsword (factory standard), Chain shirt, Boots of the Hunter (bonus to Stealth, if they're acceptable), Mastercrafted Thieves tools (previously owned by his mentor)
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Vyper

Skills done. :P Given that I've never played one of Rav's RPs before, what do the stats do/ modify?