News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

February Tau Rumours

Started by Narric, February 03, 2013, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Surprised no one else has posted this.

Rumours posted to Faeit 212 imply Tau is getting some interesting new additions to their army list. One is described as a "Tau Dreadknight" and a Kroot Monstrous Creature is supposedly in the mix also.

Go read up at the rumour mill on Natfka:
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-latest-in-tau-rumors-kroot-monsters.html

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on February 03, 2013, 12:50:24 PM
Surprised no one else has posted this.

Rumours posted to Faeit 212 imply Tau is getting some interesting new additions to their army list. One is described as a "Tau Dreadknight" and a Kroot Monstrous Creature is supposedly in the mix also.

Go read up at the rumour mill on Natfka:
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-latest-in-tau-rumors-kroot-monsters.html

I seriously doubt that walker have those stats. It's like a wraithlord on crack. All the stats are realy high except the int 2  :facepalm001:.

The only thing that I can compare that walker to is the daemon prince which did get a stat increase. Even if it's strength 6 with ap- it's really really out there.

Cammerz

The idea of new battlesuit models doesn't surprise me but it does scare my bank account. If they're really good then I'll want to trade up for them. The 2+ save for the battlesuits also doesn't surprise me, its the Iridium armour but no longer special issue, they'll probably let more suits use the special issue kit now, and maybe have a new round of special issue wargear.

BS4 Tau sounds good, I hope my army list can afford to include that option. I probably won't be getting the 'Dreadknight' or the Greater Knarloc (I assume this is what the Kroot beast will be).

That Sky Ray rule sounds like the sort of thing you use when a certain model just has to die, no matter what. I presume it'll be one-use-only and people will be targeting Marneus Calgar and Abbadon with it.

Overall they sound like an interesting group of upgrades (and the 'Dreadknight' thing makes me worry that Ward has gotten his hands on the Tau so we can only hope that he hasn't ruined our existing background completely). Obviously there's no release date, or even what quarter of what year, so we may be waiting some time for this lot to appear, although the flyer which we should be getting soon (maybe March) might tide us over 'till then.

Narric

Chicop, that Tauknight doesnt have "very high" stats. WS, BS and Ld are all pretty moderate, yes, his Attacks are high for a Tau model, but chances are that can be thought of as one attack per limb. For damn sake man, it will fall to Medium level firepower, which usually puts out high numbers of AP4 or 3 shots. At most, it will be a distraction to take enemy firepoewr power away from other units.

Str6 doesn't really mean F-all. So we'll be wounding Space Mainres on a 2+, big whoop, big deal. All battlesuits have been smacking Marines around on a 3+ for years already, and this guy probably won't have any backup to really be effective in Close combat. Which is good. He'll probably be just a large weapon platform in general use, and his Strength just reflects how big the damn machine will be.

InsaneTD

Interesting stuff all told, not sure I like the new tau walker idea though. Hopefully it won't be completely silly.

The Man They Call Jayne

20 points per model for a 2+ save? I dont see that as worth is really. Thats 60 points per elite squad. Plus 20 points for a 4++ that adds up FAST.

Im hoping that we dont end up being "forced" to go super elite just to be competitive.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

It's only an upgrade. I don't think it will see much table time. If it's got the same restrictions it does now (movement), I won't be using it.

Narric

To risk going into wishlisting here, I kinda never understood the Iridium armour's limitation, especially when compared to the Artificer Armour upgrade of Space Marines (all flavours that have it and similar). SMs pay the exact same price for the exact same thing, yet have no penalties. This makes even less sense, when most descriptions of Art-Armour only say it looks prettier and older then regular power armour. By that logic, "Pretty Marines" would have 2+ Armour saves across the list. Iridium Armour specifies that it is special improvements to the armour. If I was adding heavier armour to my Battlesuit, I'd request stronger actuators and other moving magubines, so I don't lose any mobility.[/rant]

Looking back onot the rumour posting, I'll give my thoughts.

New Battlesuits will be cool, as I'd use the newer suits on Team Leaders and characters.

The Sky Ray and Fire Warriors Options and buffs sound pretty good, but I hope they cost then approprietly. Can't help but think some die-hard Space Marine player will cry "Cheese" at the Sky Ray "Orbital Blast" ability. I'll probably go for BS4 Fire Warriors, as I often have minimal FWs on the table as is (More a collection restriciton then choice).

The Kroot Creature seems to be having trouble fighting into the list. Being either to easy to kill, or not used all that much, and was/is overcosted.

Interesting to see Kroot gaining Furious Charge, Move through Cover, and 6+ save. If thats for the same price, then they may see more use than just a meatshield for Fire Warriors.

The Battlesuit 2+ Armour sounds to good to be true. I can't help but think it would be a Special Characters added benefit, rather then a standard armywide upgrade, similar to "Veterans of the Long War."

Hmm, either I didn't read it properly, or the Dreadnight does have a 2+ save as standard. I can now somewhat understand Chicops reaction, though still think he was overexagerating its OP nature.

Chicop76

My problem with the walker is this. Let's compare it with other 40 k models

1. Toughness 8: what else has that. The wraithlord and that is that, so Tau will have the second toughness model in the game. T6 no problem, but 8 :derp:

/4+ not only it's the toughess model out there execpt one it even has the best saves fo that type. Looking at t6 models with multiple wounds only models with a +2 are tyranofex and dreadknight and they don't have a +4 invul

Not going into what it can do. It is already :facepalm001:

Narric

Hmm, i can see you point. My only counter-point is its only in Playtesting right now, not set in stone. So we may see its defensive stats reduced, as and when the codex comes out.

Just a point. How does it compare to the actually Dreadknight? I don't have the Grey Knight Codex, so I don't know that info.

The Man They Call Jayne

"Toughness 8: what else has that. The wraithlord and that is that, so Tau will have the second toughness model in the game. T6 no problem, but 8"

And. . .?

The Eldar have the toughest model in the game and thats just insane! Guard can field more men than anyone else! Thats not right!

Why should it matter if the Tau have the second toughest model? Somebody has to.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on February 03, 2013, 04:47:01 PM
Hmm, i can see you point. My only counter-point is its only in Playtesting right now, not set in stone. So we may see its defensive stats reduced, as and when the codex comes out.

Just a point. How does it compare to the actually Dreadknight? I don't have the Grey Knight Codex, so I don't know that info.

Without looking at the book it's similar it stats but ws5 t6 I4. It comes with str 10 powerfist or it can get a sword that does the same as a wraith sword, but it re rolls to wound as well. It has a +5 invulnerable and toughness 6. At base it cost around the same as a decked out Tau Transport. Upgrades are retarded expensive whic is a poor attemt to balance that model.

Narric

Chicop76

Depending on the rider the giant krotoox doesn't seem as bad as the OP makes it sound. Seeing that most creatures are around the same cost and stats and that Tau doesn't have one it's not bad. My question is how easy is it to kill the rider which is the real issue.

Mabbz

Wait, a special rule called "Implosion" increases the explosion radius? That doesn't make much sense.